Making History & 1.4 Image Preview Collection

Tyko

Here's a folder with all the previews Squad has shown for Making History / 1.4 over the past year. I didn't realize how many there were. This is just a collection of all the images and I expect that many have been revised since first previewed. Still, it's fun to go back and see all the great work they are doing.

https://imgur.com/a/UHQTk

@SQUAD I hope I'm not breaking any rules by re-posting these. If I have I'll pull the share down right away. Thanks

Edited by Tyko

4 hours ago, Tyko said:

Here's a folder with all the previews Squad has shown for Making History / 1.4 over the past year. I didn't realize how many there were. This is just a collection of all the images and I expect that many have been revised since first previewed. Still, it's fun to go back and see all the great work they are doing.

DROPBOX LINK

@SQUAD I hope I'm not breaking any rules by re-posting these. If I have I'll pull the share down right away. Thanks

The last picture I thought was pretty cool. When Yuri Gagarin was falling back to Earth, that hatch in the back blow out and ejected him away from the space capsule and into the Earth's atmosphere  Separated from his space capsule, he opened up his personal parachute. Actually his backup chute accidentally open too  - and he had trouble finding his oxygen tube - but it was a Jeb like moment that will be fun to experience. 

25 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

I always like new stock parts.

(image of lots of separators and decouplers)

is this the addition of sizes 4 and 5??

From what I remember of the devnotes, I think that's 0.625m, 1.25m, 1.875m (NEW), 2.5m, 3.75m and 5m (NEW)... what they call the parts internally would be even more guesswork!

3 minutes ago, ElWanderer said:

From what I remember of the devnotes, I think that's 0.625m, 1.25m, 1.875m (NEW), 2.5m, 3.75m and 5m (NEW)... what they call the parts internally would be even more guesswork!

I don't know about internally but we used to call those size 0,1,2, and 3

so you're saying they've added "Size 1 and a half", and 4.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

2 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

I don't know about internally but we used to call those size 0,1,2, and 3

so you're saying they've added "Size 1 and a half", and 4.

What I meant by "internally", is that the part config file for the TR-38-D 3.75m decoupler (for example), has these lines:

name = size3Decoupler

bulkheadProfiles = size3

You wouldn't normally see "size3" within the game, though I understand you mean they are common terms to refer to the various diameters.

And yes, they could refer to 5m parts as size4, and the 1.875m parts as... ???!

4 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey all.

I didn't follow all the happenings.

Is release 1.4 and making history two different things?

ME

I was under the impression patch 1.4 would be separate from Making History, so even if you didn't buy the Making History DLC, KSP would still get a little better (hopefully) with the patch.

On 25.1.2018 at 4:14 AM, radonek said:

Voskhod? Mercury? LEM? I have a mixed feeling about this. If I wanted to copy historical missions, I'd go for the Orbiter. What I love about KSP is how totaly different can space program be…

Its nice parts for normal play to, the LEM module is nice as the two man landing can is too large, it feels more natural as bridge on an larger lander or ship. 
Same with mercury but has less need for it.
A bit confused about the two Russian pods, its Voskhod and Soyoz? I assume, the soyuz has different number of chairs. 

Also looks like we get real interstages, that is nice especially for LV-N clusters. 

7 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Its nice parts for normal play to, the LEM module is nice as the two man landing can is too large, it feels more natural as bridge on an larger lander or ship. 
Same with mercury but has less need for it.
A bit confused about the two Russian pods, its Voskhod and Soyoz? I assume, the soyuz has different number of chairs. 

Also looks like we get real interstages, that is nice especially for LV-N clusters. 

It's like playing with toys.

The current ships are kind of American but not really.

The Russian inspired ships should be Russian but not really either.

I would say let's have a few Chinese inspired ones but they are inspired by Russian hardware....Same difference.

ME

On 1/28/2018 at 3:30 PM, Starman4308 said:

I was under the impression patch 1.4 would be separate from Making History, so even if you didn't buy the Making History DLC, KSP would still get a little better (hopefully) with the patch.

From reading the blogs they make reference to both. Many of the parts they presented were associated with MH. They've said other parts would be added to the base game. Other improvements, like the update to a newer Unity engine, are part of 1.4

Is it me or does the Voskhod capsule look a bit large. Its not that much smaller than the Soyoz who is 3 man, think its a bit larger than the 1 man landing can. 
Yes you can say that the MK1 pod is to small. No way an kebal could get into it with an helmet. 

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Is it me or does the Voskhod capsule look a bit large. Its not that much smaller than the Soyoz who is 3 man, think its a bit larger than the 1 man landing can. 
Yes you can say that the MK1 pod is to small. No way an kebal could get into it with an helmet. 

I've sat in a mockup Mercury and Gemini capsule at Cape Canaveral....they were TINY! I'm amazed that early astronauts spent days sitting in them. Imagine spending a week sitting in a Miata

As far a Kerbals go...the decision to make their heads enormous for visual fun can sometimes throw off their scale with respect to parts. I believe in one of the Dev Notes they did state conclusively that a kerbal w/helmet could squeeze through a .625m docking port  :D

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I've sat in a mockup Mercury and Gemini capsule at Cape Canaveral....they were TINY! I'm amazed that early astronauts spent days sitting in them. Imagine spending a week sitting in a Miata

As far a Kerbals go...the decision to make their heads enormous for visual fun can sometimes throw off their scale with respect to parts. I believe in one of the Dev Notes they did state conclusively that a kerbal w/helmet could squeeze through a .625m docking port  :D

Yes was there and it cramped. 
Kerbals might use soft helmets like the upcoming Boeing space suit does, 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.