Lo Var Lachland

Any Train Simulator/model railroading geeks here?

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. A little known fact about me is that I like trains.

7zkiG.gif

So, I was wondering if any of you guys on this forum also like twains. I already know that @adsii1970 models in N scale, and @dundun93 plays Trainz A New Era, a train simulator. 

 

Please, let me know what you guys do. Personally, I play Trainz with @dundun93 and I model Conrail in the early 1990s in N scale. Everyone share pictures, videos, thoughts, expertise, and tips. Let's make this a Train enthusiasts area. Also, you guys deserve more memes/gifs!! :D 

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=7384839

vintage-train-animated-gif-3.gif

z3-train-memes-600-0.jpg?quality=85&stri

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done very unnecessary things with monorails and train rides in Roller Coaster Tycoon.  I also used to build massive train networks in Sim City 2000.

No actual train sims or models though.

When I was a kid, we had a family friend that was really, really, really into it.  He had probably a 700 sq foot basement that was nothing but model trains.  Mountains, towns, you name it.  Shelves full of cars, engines, and parts.  It's always been fascinating to me... but $$$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I've done very unnecessary things with monorails and train rides in Roller Coaster Tycoon.  I also used to build massive train networks in Sim City 2000.

Yup, and I still do them! I just wish Tropico had trains! But in Cities: Skylines, man, there's trains, trams, subways, AND monorails! :D

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

No actual train sims or models though.

It is an older game and you can still find a lot of support for it, but I love Microsoft's Train Simulator... :D

Right now, I am holding off building another layout until we move into our house... right now an apartment is no place for a railroad empire!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You rang?

20121118_9031_thurmond.jpg

(I don't particularly like the "virtual" railroading sims though.... Too much like real work. I won't comment on how many hours I spent working Sandpatch in MS Train Simulator back in the early part of this century.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cydonian Monk said:

You rang?

20121118_9031_thurmond.jpg

(I don't particularly like the "virtual" railroading sims though.... Too much like real work. I won't comment on how many hours I spent working Sandpatch in MS Train Simulator back in the early part of this century.)

Duuuuuuuuuuude. That is AWESOME. What are the dimensions and scale?

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

@Cydonian Monk: This is one of the cases where one like isn't enough.

I agree! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a neighbour that had a model train set that my sister and I would like to see. Don't know the specifics of anything though. Also don't have any pics.

Its a really cool hobby. However, like literally everything. I think it takes a lot of time, effort, and money. Which I lack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

@Cydonian Monk: This is one of the cases where one like isn't enough.

I wish that scene still existed. FWIW that's not my layout, though in that scene I did build the bridge, most of the scenery, and half of the structures (and the platform). The layout owner moved to a new house three or four years ago, and while we've been working to get the layout back in place (and expanded), progress is SSSSSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWW

 

1 minute ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Duuuuuuuuuuude. That is AWESOME. What are the dimensions and scale?

HO scale. I think that scene was about 3 feet deep; I forget the overall dimensions of the layout, but it was overtop of a 2-car garage and a shop behind that garage, so something like 45x30? Just a bit L-shaped. It's a model of the C&O's New River, and for the stretch from Thurmond to Hawk's Nest we had the river right down the middle of everything. The mainlines split at Sewell IRL, so it was something of a required scenic element. We almost got that scene and the bulk of the river finished before the move:

20130325_9153_NewRiver.jpg

20130325_9162_NewRiver.jpg

20140330_0772_NewRiver.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I wish that scene still existed. FWIW that's not my layout, though in that scene I did build the bridge, most of the scenery, and half of the structures (and the platform). The layout owner moved to a new house three or four years ago, and while we've been working to get the layout back in place (and expanded), progress is SSSSSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWW

 

HO scale. I think that scene was about 3 feet deep; I forget the overall dimensions of the layout, but it was overtop of a 2-car garage and a shop behind that garage, so something like 45x30? Just a bit L-shaped. It's a model of the C&O's New River, and for the stretch from Thurmond to Hawk's Nest we had the river right down the middle of everything. The mainlines split at Sewell IRL, so it was something of a required scenic element. We almost got that scene and the bulk of the river finished before the move:

20130325_9153_NewRiver.jpg

20130325_9162_NewRiver.jpg

20140330_0772_NewRiver.jpg

Holy moses man. Where do you live. I need to operate that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, from TT-Forums :

Spoiler

file.php?id=183393

file.php?id=174431

"Virtual" I know !

Good model railroad @Cydonian Monk !

I did have some model-railroad-ish stuff, but that's from when I was very small, and they're more on toys. They were made by Tomy, with blue rails.

Edited by YNM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love trains as a kid (i even wanted be a train driver), because i thought things driving on rails was extremely satisfying. I lost interest in them however because of the allmighty spacecraft.

I still prefer taking the train as a transportation method though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a small cabinet full of H0/DC parts. Sometimes i lay tracks on the floor (don't have the patience for model making) just to play around.

Nice scene, @Cydonian Monk :-)

8 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yup, and I still do them! I just wish Tropico had trains! But in Cities: Skylines, man, there's trains, trams, subways, AND monorails! :D

It is an older game and you can still find a lot of support for it, but I love Microsoft's Train Simulator... :D

Right now, I am holding off building another layout until we move into our house... right now an apartment is no place for a railroad empire!

 

have you tried Factorio ? A quite nice train implementation is an integral part of the game ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've driven my wife insane with all the money that I've spent on wooden trains for my kids, but they love it and it gives me something to do together with them. Maybe we'll get into more serious model railroads as they get older, but if I have my way we'll migrate towards model rocketry or RC aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

I've driven my wife insane with all the money that I've spent on wooden trains for my kids, but they love it and it gives me something to do together with them. Maybe we'll get into more serious model railroads as they get older, but if I have my way we'll migrate towards model rocketry or RC aircraft.

Get'm a 3D printer so they can make their own trains/planes/automobiles. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

I've driven my wife insane with all the money that I've spent on wooden trains for my kids, but they love it and it gives me something to do together with them. Maybe we'll get into more serious model railroads as they get older, but if I have my way we'll migrate towards model rocketry or RC aircraft.

Awww, Model Railroading is such a good hobby with children. I have met so young people at conventions. :D

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

 trains/planes/automobiles. :wink:

YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!

PaVF3Es.gif

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Awww, Model Railroading is such a good hobby with children. I have met so young people at conventions. :D

Some wooden railway guys are quite serious about it. This guy has even developed a standard for interfacing table segments together so that museums and educational facilities can mix, match and share their segments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Some wooden railway guys are quite serious about it. This guy has even developed a standard for interfacing table segments together so that museums and educational facilities can mix, match and share their segments.

WHAT THE HECK. How strange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ground my Railway Tycoon 3 CD flat, and haven't found a replacement. So I'm stuck with Cities: Skylines.

7 hours ago, Green Baron said:

have you tried Factorio ? A quite nice train implementation is an integral part of the game ...

Fussy as all heck.

15 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

But in Cities: Skylines, man, there's trains, trams, subways, AND monorails! :D

Invisible subways.

Don't talk to me about subways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be in love with trains :D

I still like them a fair bit, but the hype has died down somewhat. When I was living back in Vancouver (Canada) I would practically beg my parents to buy all the groceries from a particular shop. Reason? Well, the entire supermarket had a set of rails suspended from the ceiling, a few meters off the ground. Several different trains would go around, traveling their way across the aisles and occasionally making noises.

I didn't really help my parents back then, since I literally spent the time just following the trains around and bumping into people (I was always looking straight up lol)

Sadly, I can't seem to find pictures of the place....

Edited by Earthlinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was heavily into HO for a while, but never had my own lauout.  I also was buying estates and selling them on eBay.

Now, I use a program calked TrainPlayer, which lets you run trains on any number of teack plans, or you can even design your own.

Edit:  Here's the URL if you want to take a look at it:  http://www.trainplayer.com/

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one of the latest photos of the layout I work on.

sKgBPaD.jpg

And yes, those headlights do bother me, but changing the LED would be too much work, also it's not nearly as noticeable in real life. Maybe I'll just pain the white one with some yellow marker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.