Any Train Simulator/model railroading geeks here?

Kerbinchaser

On 1/29/2018 at 11:30 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

My brother was running it, and it derailed, but instead of shutting the power down, he accidentally kept the power ON, so when he put the drive wheels BACK on the track, it shot off. So far, the only damage is the front plow coming off and some broken handrails, but... Man, did that give me a heart attack. *whew!*

I had a locomotive that was damaged in a very similar manner. So... I had fun with it. I gently popped it off the drive wheels, and put the shell on an old engine of a similar model I had with a dead engine. Then made it into a static display on a spur, waiting to go into the locomotive repair shop...

Edited by adsii1970

37 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I had a locomotive that was damaged in a very similar manner. So... I had fun with it. I gently popped it off the drive wheels, and put the shell on an old engine of a similar model I had with a dead engine. Then made it into a static display on a spur, waiting to go into the locomotive repair shop...

That sounds fun. It reminds me of my old Bachmann DD40AX. (picture below)

I bought one from Ebay and had some fun with it, but I let my 4 year old brother carefully drive it around the track. Unfortunately, it still got busted, so I took the shell, did some experimental weathering on it, and then bought another Bachmann DD40AX. Ironically, both locomotives had the SAME ROAD NUMBERS! :D

Therefore, now i can choose a CLEAN DD40AX, or a HEAVILY weathered DD40AX! A great way to pass time. :)

Spoiler

BAC-62255-2.jpg?1456472651

There she is. (Stock image, of course :P

16 wheels, eight axles. The longest locomotive ever built. 

10 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Oh, the 2. ... Sir Rod Steward in Zagreb ... how are things @Shpaget ?

Unfortunately, he flew in late afternoon, did the concert and flew away, so there was no time for him to visit.

However, we managed to give the organizers a HŽ Cargo wagon, (this one) and asked them to give it to him. We included an invitation for the next time he visits which, we believe, won't be long. Still waiting for confirmation whether this worked.

At the carpenter's: No profiles in stock. Must make them all. Sold out. Boom times. Takes min. a week. I waited half an hour for my turn.

For a stack of pine profiles and sheets of plywood. Well, the plywood is in stock, but it alone makes no table.

13 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

No I didn't just a type o

You know you can change it, right?

@Darth Badie could you show this guy the way please?

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

At the carpenter's: No profiles in stock. Must make them all. Sold out. Boom times. Takes min. a week. I waited half an hour for my turn.

For a stack of pine profiles and sheets of plywood. Well, the plywood is in stock, but it alone makes no table.

:( 

Thanks guys :-)

Well, i have a plan for a table of 5*1,6m. That's too much for even thick plywood without a sturdy frame. And the plywood alone would be too heavy. So i take 8mm plywood and a box frame of pine profiles (12*3cm) with a box size of 80*~83cm. With this, i can do the first layout that will later be the shadow part, a set of parallel tracks, and a spiral to the upper level and maybe connect everything over a long (temporary) ramp to a simple oval.

Edited by Green Baron

On 2/2/2018 at 5:52 PM, adsii1970 said:

I've found my next modeling project:

032914USusArmy4671-74R.jpg

YYeeeeah. I have a few US army Gensets on one of my simulators. :wink: 

Nice.

I enjoy Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority.

I own one F40 PH With a "light night stripe" and "single stripe" both have decent sound. 

My best freight engine is a CSX Locomotive (599 model first search result for CSX 599) don't have the official name on the top of my head and don't feel like moving boxes. 

It has superb sound and ditch lights everything. Got it at a train show back in 16 for really cheap. 

On 1/31/2018 at 12:10 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

ROD STEWART??? Dude, that guy's layout is INSANE! His layout is bigger than a freaking tennis court. 

That will be an amazing experience. Good luck if he comes. :D 

Yup. I have. Pictures required! 

Flying Under The Clouds-T:ANE edition!

:D 

Virtual 737s! S:

EEEAUUUGH. No no, jk jk. But here's a pic from T:ANE: 

Reveal hidden contents

Two BNSF Trains meet in Nevada

^ that's from my freelanced Navada sub on Trainz a New Era.

Envious... very envious.

nice work

O gauge model railroader here. Mostly Lionel stuff from early 2000’s and before (prior to all the TMCC crap).

My current locomotive roster consists of:

1) A pair of Norfolk Southern C40-8 (aka Dash 8). 

2) Norfolk Southern SD60MAC

3) CSX SD60MAC

4) Canadian National C44-9W (aka Dash 9)

5) Canadian National (with GTW road designation) GP38-2

6) Boston and Maine NW2 switcher

The NS Dash 8s have a cool easter egg: the engineer figure is mounted facing long hood forward, a homage to NS who was the last Class 1 railroad to regularly run their locos long hood forward. Everyone who catches that always asks “why is the driver backwards?”

I have 20-30 cars of all types (boxcars, tankers, gondolas and flatbeds). A couple of them belonged to my father and his brothers when they were kids. My layout is four 8x4 plywood tables in a U shape in my basement. It sounds big, but really isnt because O scale is a massive space hog (I run Gargraves track with O-54 curves, and use Ross switches). Powering my layout is a 50s era Lionel ZW transformer along with a 1044 for the switches and accessories. One of these days, I’ll get the wife to clean out the basement and I’ll get back to running my stuff more often than I currently do.

While waiting for a stack of wood to come sometime next week i assembled 20 small lights this afternoon. Those will help illuminate the shadow station later. Got me a decent DC transformer and let there be some dim light on the table to adjust the voltage.

Edited by Green Baron

On 2/7/2018 at 4:33 PM, Johnny Wishbone said:

(snip)

Wow, O scale? I rarely see those XD

I see you like east coast railroading. Around where I live, I always see massive coal drags led by those black horses. Also, when i was driving through Ohio on my last vacation, I spotted this 'lil beauty:

7002.1072.jpg

^ Not my picture. I couldn't take one of my own because i was driving down the highway at 70 MPH, and the train was above me on an overpass. 

Gotta love those SD70Aces. :D 

8 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

I play Trainz:A New Era. Perhaps we could make Kerbal routes?

Has anybody got a good heightmap of KSC that could be used in Trainz? And exporting the models shouldn't be too hard, too...

Oh my gosh lol you really want to make the KSC?? :D 

8 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

I play Trainz:A New Era. Perhaps we could make Kerbal routes?

Has anybody got a good heightmap of KSC that could be used in Trainz? And exporting the models shouldn't be too hard, too...

Actually, now that i think about it.... because Kerbin is so small, you could make a full model of kerbin and create railroad systems. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

7 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Oh my gosh lol you really want to make the KSC?? :D 

Actually, now that i think about it.... because Kerbin is so small, you could make a full model of kerbin and create railroad systems. 

(I have started a thread in this section, so we should transfer discussion.)

Hm...recreating whole Kerbin could be possible. However, a planet-circling railway will need to solve the problem of curvature - I recall that some mods add "portals", which would allow for the railway to be consecutive.

But we should start with KSC first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.