Any Train Simulator/model railroading geeks here?

Kerbinchaser

11 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Ahhh, CSX. You like American railroads? 

Personally I live in the US (Totally not biased)

But I like American railroads for their diversity. I mean, all the railroad companies, all the different types of locomotives and train cars... Etc. 

I like American cargo transportation. Diesel Trains are awesome. Im not a big fan of American passenger transport however. When it comes to carrying people around, my favourite must France, and Germany. They have great high-speed trains. 

Railway in the Netherlands isn't diverse at all, there is only one railway company that operates trains and that is Nederlandse Spoorwegen (also known as Dutch Railways or just NS). All its competitors gave up and went for canal tours instead. 

There is this cargo train from the Deutsche Bahn (probably a class 67) that just hangs around my neighborhood, and occasionally stops (making a loud screeching sound that sounds like an alien spaceship). Often i see the locomotive driving on its own, wich i think is really quite cool.

28 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Im not a big fan of American passenger transport however

Speaking as an american, the public transport system in the US is pretty bad overall. In certain places like DC, San Diego, and NYC, its pretty ok, but there is no really good full country public transport system (to my knowledge), unlike in Britain or Germany or france or so.

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

But I like American railroads for their diversity.

If you want to see diversity, think the best you can get is GB. All the TOCs, the MUs or loco-hauled, the timetable, the excursions...

Obviously the US is way more open in terms of operators. But many are "generic", like you don't really get double-cab locos and most would look like GE ES or GE-EMD U anyway.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

there is only one railway company that operates trains and that is Nederlandse Spoorwegen

What about Arriva ?

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Diesel Trains are awesome.

Next best thing than a steam loco : a smoking diesel.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

but there is no really good full country public transport system

You guys ran them as if it's Rannoch Moor or something.

• 1 month later...

Time for a small update (or rather big in a sense) and a possible bad-luck of the year award with a bag of misery on the side...seriously.

So, this week was originally supposed to just be a week of me doing modelling work for my first proper diorama project, the centerpiece of witch is going to be my 1:72 Krupp K5 "Leopold" railroad gun that i built quite some time ago and a 1:72 scale BR-52 locomotive witch i still need to acquire.

While i was doing planning for the diorama i decided to do some searching around to see if i would be able to acquire the locomotive model from the modelling store in Tampere (bout 110km away), or if i had to buy it from Ebay. It seemed that i was going to be able to get the model either directly or ask them too order one for me. Also during this search i came across a news article witch said that the model-store was closing it's doors for good, this weekend in the matter of fact. So, i went there to see whats left, and picked up a couple models, quite literally with a now or never mentality.

After that we went to the model-railroading store (just a few km away from the other store) to see if the E89 "crocodile" locomotive had been fixed yet, thankfully the replacement part had arrived and the guy promised me he was gonna get it fixed so that when i go on holiday in Tampere for a week (that when i was originally supposed to go to those shops)it would be ready. But guess what other news i got, they are closing their doors too, tough about a month from now, but still. So, again i bought a bunch of stuff with that same now or never mentality.

This has to be the most unluckiest week in the history of modelling...for me at-least, two model shops closing forever in the span of one summer, and guess where the second closest modelling shop is...Helsinki...300km away, and none of my family will ever go there unless they really have to.

So, as far as modelling for me goes, with model railroading ill just have to make do with what i have and hope that there wont be any more fault's with my trains, with plastic models, it's basically online or go home.

And here's picks of what i got from that trip.

6IQvDhK.jpg

Last time i went there i saw these and was very interested, but decided not to buy them as i felt i already had plenty trains...well, you can never have enough, but you know what i mean.

And yes, both the A and B units are powered, perhaps a little overkill for my tiny oval...but who cares.

And here is the pile of model i bought from both places...at a pretty good discount of-course.

dry35yo.jpg

A pretty surprisingly interesting and depressing week if do say so myself. I think the fact that i didn't even bring my wallet with me gives you and idea of what i was expecting to buy this week...instead i bought about 350€ worth of stuff. Im here with my mom, so she was the one who paid for the stuff...and yes, i now have a small debt that needs to be paid.

But like i said, it was pretty much now or never and my mom agreed with me and said that if there's anything i really want, just put it on the pile and well talk about money later, and thank god for that.

All in all, im left with a pretty +-0 kind of feeling, im really happy that i got all these lovely models :), but im also really sad that my modelling hobby just got a pretty big stab to the heart ;.;.

iv always been a big fan on trains, specifically diesel engine freight like a SD70, and iv always loved modelling. sadly i never connected the dots and the closest iv had to a model train is the Lego maersk locomotive set that was released in 2011 sometime.

On 7/4/2018 at 10:35 PM, iDeViL320 said:

iv always been a big fan on trains, specifically diesel engine freight like a SD70, and iv always loved modelling. sadly i never connected the dots and the closest iv had to a model train is the Lego maersk locomotive set that was released in 2011 sometime.

Awww, rip. :( 

Went to a hobby shop today and got a 1:72nd scale Panther D. Might build it sometime. 

• 7 months later...

Hi @Shpaget. Question to the professional model railroader. Underground, where optics don't count, what is the maximum slope one can safely use ? What is the max you have on your layout ?

I made a planning mistake and now must bend it a bit for a crossing with enough headroom (>=6cm), for that i'd ave to go above 4% or change the design.

Cheers

gb

We try to stay at around 2 - 2,5% and never exceed 3% (at least not intentionally and knowingly)*. On those few places where we do have 3% the most of problems come from the locos that are too light, or where there are slight imperfections in the gradient. By that I mean the total gradient on a few meters long section may be 3%, but if the support (in our case plywood) is not stiff enough, or not braced often enough, you can get slight variations - lower gradient just after the support and steeper in the second half of the section between two supports. Usually that in itself is not a big deal since it's the average slope that counts,  but the transition itself may be an issue and longer locos (usually steam engines) may have issues where some of their wheels are hanging in the air and not getting traction.

Since looks are not an issue here, try adding more supports (every 30-50 cm) to eliminate this waviness.

Keep in mind we have traction tires on all locos, but still get occasional slippage where locos need a push. Most of the trains are about 2 - 2,5 m long and single loco. We tried pairing two locos in the same train, and it helped in certain cases, but usually it just leads to other problem.

Once we recognize this problem as recurring we can adjust the software for this particular section to apply more power (either for that particular loco or for all locos).

*We do have a section with 5+% but only downhill. Reason for that is same as yours - planning mistake. It looks ugly, but is not visible from the vantage point of visitors. Every now and then we need to reverse a train on that section and a decent run up at full speed is usually enough to do it.

edit:

One more thing. The gradient transition I spoke above showed itself as especially troublesome in curves where some modern passenger trains with close couplers would bind with each other. Rubber gangways between coaches would interfere with neighboring coach. Keep an eye out for that.

Edited by Shpaget

I see, yeah, thanks. Fortunately the transitions on both sides are from from 2% slope, so that will probably not be a problem with the flexible rails. Minimum curve radius is 60cm, i know that is below NEM recommendation but reality demands so. I think i can get away with 4% on the downward side and slightly less uphill when i separate the tracks and make box bridges from 3mm plywood for the overpass. That spares 9mm plywood and cork.

This will be in an underground area. I will glue a sign at the tunnel entrance: !? Pantographs retracted ?! and build a wire fender thing to avoid ripping them off ...

Edited by Green Baron

All our pantographs are retracted since we too have some tight squeezes. We actually had to take out a bit of a wall of an archway we have in the room to make room for some US cabooses. On another very short segment we had to switch from 10 mm plywood to 4 mm. It's that close XD.

In any case, test all your rolling stock thoroughly on that section before you commit yourself to a solution.

In the little shop we have, we have a small Z scale oval embedded into the counter.

When kids come visit us they can push a button and the train runs a few laps before stopping at the station once again.

This worked fine for about two years, but some time ago the loco started experiencing issues. It wouldn't run properly so the other day it arrived at my workbench for repairs.

This little beauty is the loco in question.

OvL0kG4.jpg

After opening it up, I located the problem - the commutator is worn out almost completely.

U4DIOiS.jpg

Keep in mind this is Z scale, so the entire motor, from left gear to the right is pretty much exactly 20 mm long. It's absolutely tiny, so repairs are not feasible. I'll be ordering a replacement rotor, but until it arrives the loco is not operational, so the replacement one gets to shine.

The cutest little thing hauls quite a heavy load.

ZROOTR8.jpg

The first flatbed wagon has two stepper motor stators from H0 scale locos. Those motors are quite troublesome, since they require special drivers and special decoders. Marklin decided to stop supporting them and they no longer offer replacement parts for those drives, but that's a story for some other time. They do, however, provide nice industrial sized components, and since I'm a sucker for special cargo they get a prominent position.

Once again the little layout is active and just waits for a kid to push a button.

Don't eat peanuts while repairing these ... molecules :-)

Voith Maxima: 5000 diesel hp hauling away a 3000t gravel train:

And another one:

To my knowledge the strongest single frame diesel hydraulic loco ?

Edited by Green Baron

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Hello everyone. A little known fact about me is that I like trains.

7zkiG.gif

So, I was wondering if any of you guys on this forum also like twains. I already know that @adsii1970 models in N scale, and @dundun93 plays Trainz A New Era, a train simulator. 

Please, let me know what you guys do. Personally, I play Trainz with @dundun93 and I model Conrail in the early 1990s in N scale. Everyone share pictures, videos, thoughts, expertise, and tips. Let's make this a Train enthusiasts area. Also, you guys deserve more memes/gifs!! :D 

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=7384839

vintage-train-animated-gif-3.gif

z3-train-memes-600-0.jpg?quality=85&stri

I used to be into it and still am a bit but its so expensive and the money could be better spent

On 2/20/2019 at 11:40 AM, Shpaget said:

In the little shop we have, we have a small Z scale oval embedded into the counter.

When kids come visit us they can push a button and the train runs a few laps before stopping at the station once again.

This worked fine for about two years, but some time ago the loco started experiencing issues. It wouldn't run properly so the other day it arrived at my workbench for repairs.

This little beauty is the loco in question.

Spoiler

OvL0kG4.jpg

Wowee that is a beaut. I will never model in Z just because of how small and how delicate they are, but it's certainly a novelty. :) 

Any way we can see an overview of this 'lil oval? 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

52 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Wowee that is a beaut. I will never model in Z just because of how small and how delicate they are, but it's certainly a novelty. :) 

Yeah, occasionally visitors ask about getting their kids into the hobby, and point to that little oval thinking that smaller is easier and cheaper, so more suitable for children. It's neither, which is fairly easy to demonstrate by showing them the price tag on the loco XD.

52 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Any way we can see an overview of this 'lil oval? 

Sure. Let me dig out some pics.

Early phase of building it. The track is laid down, and ballasted, the tunnel entrances are modeled and rough terrain contours done.

7EG63i4.jpg

A closeup of the bridge. It's cut at an angle since it reaches the end of the box.

sU7dft3.jpg

The little black square in the middle of the tracks is a hall sensor. There are three of them around the circle. The detect the train and the microcontroller throttles up and down in a predetermined pattern. It also stops the loco at the station.

llO8GDH.jpg

The terrain is smoothed a bit and painted dark brown.

AQxIo1C.jpg

The station is assembled and roughly painted, featuring the hand of yours truly.

XE90WMN.jpg

There is also a small house.

Ayn4hCM.jpg

Static grass is done, roads painted and cars placed.

aTh4U6X.jpg

Cars that are on the road have their head and tail lights illuminated. It's a bit more visible IRL.

JNiKkty.jpg

The station is in front part of the layout.

itiXArk.jpg

The house is getting fiber optic (seriously).

YSS2JNU.jpg

All done! The button is front and center. Entire layout is covered with glass and flush with the counter.

Yzxe3Y0.jpg

My jigsaw gave in to entropy. Well, it was a 20,- thing and lasted >10 years, so no complaints here. I bought a new one (30,-). The old blades don't fit (of course not).

Will it last 15 years ? *looks at the plywood sheets*.

I won't bet ...

Edit: as interesting all these micro scales are, like anything below N, i wouldn't find it satisfying to play with it. A counter roundabout is the perfect place. I somehow think H0 (zero) is the action size. It makes a noise, it roughly obeys physics and not just surface tension or brownian movement. One can "handle" it. N is just ok if space really matters.

Edited by Green Baron

Oh yes, Z is tiny and definitely not recommended for those that don't know exactly what they're getting themselves into. It's fiddly, fragile, doesn't run nearly as good as H0, has much poorer selection of rolling stock and accessories, and getting them digital is sometimes not possible.

But it's so cute!

NOT a train enthusiast here, I'd just really like to know what it is you train enthusiasts find so interesting about trains. It's insane how many people I've met both online and in the real world who have a genuine interest in trains, and while I can fully understand the appeal of automobiles, motorcycles, aircraft, spacecraft and watercraft, I genuinely can't comprehend why or how a train could be so fascinating when it's essentially a gigantic truck with lots of tiny metal wheels, so please, someone enlighten me on this subject.

*grabs imaginary pitchfork*

How can i enlighten you if you say you don't understand ?

May i ask, do you have a hobby ?

Possible reasons, applicable to other hobbies as well: it needs hand crafting as well as basic technical understanding to build a layout. It helps leaving a stressful job behind for a moment. It is beyond price to see children's glowing eyes watching the trains. It gives the illusion of control over a small technical contraption. It is a small idyllic world if built "well".

List continues ...

Or, in one word, it is a hobby. One of the better ones, i find :-)

drfOhRo.jpg

Edited by Green Baron

4 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

*grabs imaginary pitchfork*

How can i enlighten you if you say you don't understand ?

May i ask, do you have a hobby ?

Possible reasons, applicable to other hobbies as well: it needs hand crafting as well as basic technical understanding to build a layout. It helps leaving a stressful job behind for a moment. It is beyond price to see children's glowing eyes watching the trains. It gives the illusion of control over a small technical contraption. It is a small idyllic world if built "well".

List continues ...

Or, in one word, it is a hobby. One of the better ones, i find :-)

Of course, I understand it's a hobby, but what I don't understand is what draws you more to trains above all else. What is it about a model of a train that appeals to you more than, say, a model of a car, or a model of an ocean liner? Most people can say they find beauty in an expensive, high-performance car, or an elegant steamship, but trains, particularly modern diesel-powered trains... I just don't see it. I understand that setting up a working model of a traintrack could be a pretty fun hobby, and old steam-driven trains are quite elegant in their own way, but I see so many people who say they love these modern diesel-fume-spewing monstrosities, this really perplexes me.

I can only talk about my motives. I am not drawn more to trains above everything else. My hobbies can change. I have actually built and played with RC planes and cars, slot car races (a huge fun !), made strong wooden bows and other paleolithic weaponry.

I am slowly building this layout and looking forward to playing with it, invite others if interested. And one day i'll probably tear it down and make something different. Who knows.

Edit: i do not find beauty in an expensive high performance car. I find it boring to operate a wheel and pedal, it is often a show off, a prosthesis. Want a pitchfork ? :-)

Edited by Green Baron

3 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I genuinely can't comprehend why or how a train could be so fascinating when it's essentially a gigantic truck with lots of tiny metal wheels, so please, someone enlighten me on this subject.

Well, it's a gigantic truck with lots of tiny metal wheels. What more could you possibly ask for?

On a serious note, I'm not a train nut. I certainly like them a lot, but you won't hear me quote loco specs or historical compositions and routes. I know some guys that know the entire train schedule passing through their city and by that I don't mean just the regular passenger trains, but one off cargo trains as well, including the number and type of the wagons. Some other guy can see an old photo of a train and tell you where and when that train operated, including the location where the photo was taken.

No, I have no interest in that, but trains in themselves are lovely.

Building a model railway layout can have surprisingly little to do with trains and a lot to do with all other aspects of it. Electronics, architecture, landscape... you can pick whichever area of your layout and keep yourself occupied on that aspect for years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.