how to update???

Mr. "I need help guy"

4 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

If you have the Steam version it will update automatically

Yup.  And Steam will (often enough) clean out your Steam/KSP directory including vaporizing all your craft and saved games.  Gone.  Poof!

So, advice is to take the Steam root directory for KSP(*) and copy it elsewhere and launch KSP from there.  When Steam updates your KSP version, just copy it again into your safe place and then merge your files into it.

I have Steam running in one place, but everything stored in a separate ./games/KSP directory and under that I have subdirectories 1.3.1.1891, 1.2.1.1604 and 1.0.5.1028.  So I can run KSP versions, side-by-side.  (I also have all my stuff under git control with a master repository.  :) )

* on Linux: ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program  If you're on some other system, look for a steamapps under App Data or look at Properties on your KSP short-cut...

on the flip side if your someone like me who has a bunch of mods and too lazy to update them all and rather run the old version and never have steam update it

open steam

go to game and right click

select properties

find beta tab

select which version to run

11 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

If you have the Steam version it will update automatically - whether you want it to or not.

Turn off auto updates. If a new release drops it will prompt you to upgrade. If you're not ready to yet, either pin to the previous release in the properties or don't launch the game through Steam.

6 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Yup.  And Steam will (often enough) clean out your Steam/KSP directory including vaporizing all your craft and saved games.  Gone.  Poof!

Odd. I've been running KSP from Steam on Windows and Linux for more than four years and that hasn't happened once. Got a link? I'm curious now. 

3 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Odd. I've been running KSP from Steam on Windows and Linux for more than four years and that hasn't happened once. Got a link? I'm curious now. 

Same, I've been using Steam for 14+ years and I've never experienced this with any game.

(I was on Steam before the original Counter-Strike was; that's how old I am...lol)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, stibbons said:

Turn off auto updates. If a new release drops it will prompt you to upgrade. If you're not ready to yet, either pin to the previous release in the properties or don't launch the game through Steam.

It happened to me and I was very fortunate that I had just copied everything to a  laptop.  Steam was coming up and flooding the screen with Update panels.  It was quite hard to kill it all off and quite unusable.  It was about August/September 2016.

I came across someone else in this forum mentioning the same recently and that person does the same: copies KSP outside and plays independently of Steam.

46 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Steam was coming up and flooding the screen with Update panels.  It was quite hard to kill it all off and quite unusable.

You killed it while it was trying to run updates? Ow, no longer surprised you had game folders in an unexpected state. 

One user error and one anecdote hardly makes for "often enough". But if you want to be super cautious and keep multiple backups of your game folder, go for it. 

7 minutes ago, stibbons said:

You killed it while it was trying to run updates?

For a period of a few weeks, whenever I started Steam, it immediately began creating panels saying it was updating.  Not one panel but an accordion of hundreds of panels being created continuously flooding my screen and locking my system down making it unusable.  I actually believe it was trying to update itself; not KSP.

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, stibbons said:

Got a link?

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/648817377813547032/
https://windowsreport.com/steam-needs-to-be-online-to-update-windows-10/
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-steam-error-could-not-connect-to-the-steam-network/
https://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/19/fix-steam-error-could-not-connect-to-steam-network/

Problems plaguing lots of users from 2012 to 2016.

(I seem to remember that the Steam client wasn't gracefully handling failed TCP socket connections and just immediately retrying which simply made things worse for load back at the servers.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.