[1.12.x] Part Angle Display Continued - including seamless, highly accurate rotation

linuxgurugamer

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just added a new video review to the OP by @Kottabos, which will show you how to use it.

Splendid video. I see in the video new parts, that is to say parts from the parts list being picked. I presume that it works the same for parts selected that are already attached to a craft. That you would pick up a part already attached, rotate it and re-attach it.

Parts are all manipulated by picking them up, rather that the squad technique of translation or rotation whilst still attached which is the way we learn to do stuff prior to this mod. I guess that is where I was going wrong.

I would still prefer to not pick up the part to rotate it as placing it back onto the craft will be an issue. For example I translate parts in order to manipulate the dry & wet centers of mass, if I wanted then to only rotate the pitch, maybe I am interested in changing the craft AoA profile and are fiddling with a wing, I would not want to change the lateral & vertical position as these would alter the finely tuned COMs. It would be almost impossible to pick up the part, rotate it and place it back in the exact position it came from. Hence my question about if this mod could be active when the part had been selected for rotation, which does not detach the part from the craft.

Oh and the need to enter a rotation value, pick up a part and press ALT (windows) to rotate the part to the value previously entered. I guess I could pick up the part, press ALT, change my mind, enter new values whilst the part was still in my hand and then press ALT (again) to rotate the part to the new value.

I am a little fixated (understatement) with SPH for SSTO atm. I have previously had great fun in the VAB. My current investigations are along the lines of low speed high lift to 16K+ then increase speed prior to flameout switch to rocket mode, basically messing around with lift and fuel economy. I digress.

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be too much of a request to add an option to disable the hotkeys or at least not execute them while a text field is in focus?

I make a lot of subassemblies and frankly, it's more than a little annoying to have the angle settings change all over the place while I'm typing subassembly names and descriptions.

29 minutes ago, Fraktal said:

Would it be too much of a request to add an option to disable the hotkeys or at least not execute them while a text field is in focus?

I make a lot of subassemblies and frankly, it's more than a little annoying to have the angle settings change all over the place while I'm typing subassembly names and descriptions.

I'll take a look, but it's actually rather difficult to do.  But it is definitely on my roadmap.

20 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I have a fix, will get it out soon

New release, 0.3.3.2:

• Removed ToolbarWrapper.cs
  • Deleted old commented out code for toolbar 
  • Added fix to disable hotkeys while a text field has focus
  • Changed style of input fields so they are obviously input fields
Edited by linuxgurugamer

22 hours ago, Fraktal said:

...and 1.4 got released in the meantime, so now the addon is complaining that I've got the wrong game version.

Well, yes.  Look at the title, this is currently for 1.3.1

It may work in 1.4, I don't know and will not support it until I do recompile it for 1.4

Hi!  Would have left this as an enhancement-issue on Github, but the issues tab doesn't seem to be enabled there.

Could we get this:

Version 0.3.1.1 for KSP 1.1 enables the part rotation keys when the dialog is closed making it usable without ever opening the UI.

…as a toggleable option somewhere?  Having them enabled all the time is really messing me up, since I use WASD Editor Camera Continued.

Thank you in advance!

3 hours ago, Atario said:

Hi!  Would have left this as an enhancement-issue on Github, but the issues tab doesn't seem to be enabled there.

Could we get this:

…as a toggleable option somewhere?  Having them enabled all the time is really messing me up, since I use WASD Editor Camera Continued.

Thank you in advance!

Enabled now, please add it there.

And I'll look into it after I get all the mods updated.  It's a good idea

• 3 months later...

New release, 0.3.3.4

• Updated to use latest version of the ToolbarController
  • Removed settings page since it only had a single option for the Blizzy toolbar, now handled by the ToolbarController
  • Updated .version file for all of 1.4

Updated release, 0.3.3.5

• Added dependency checking
Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 7 months later...

Hey LGG, in the same vein of this QOL mod feature, would it be possible to add a shortcut key to the VAB/SPH to rotate parts by less then the minimum 5° increments squad allows us?

normal mode 15°, with excrements on: 5°.
Maybe it could even use the current fine tune value of this mod?

Thanks for maintaining this one in any case

Edited by Garlik

On 2/14/2019 at 3:38 PM, Garlik said:

Hey LGG, in the same vein of this QOL mod feature, would it be possible to add a shortcut key to the VAB/SPH to rotate parts by less then the minimum 5° increments squad allows us?

normal mode 15°, with excrements on: 5°.
Maybe it could even use the current fine tune value of this mod?

Thanks for maintaining this one in any case

Editor Extensions does that already

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, just tried it out, it only works for surface attachments, but I need to attach my engines precisely. 5° from stock (with the 3-radial adjust) is rediculously to corse..

Would awesome if that Part Angle display alse worked for node attachments.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:36 AM, nablabla said:

hi, just tried it out, it only works for surface attachments, but I need to attach my engines precisely. 5° from stock (with the 3-radial adjust) is rediculously to corse..

Would awesome if that Part Angle display also worked for node attachments.

Use Editor Extensions Redux, then you can change the angle of the adjustments 

• 9 months later...
On 10/10/2020 at 2:48 PM, Krazy1 said:

I wish there was a display only version without any key changes. I use Editor Extensions Redux and I'm happy with the UI... just want to see the angles. 

Shouldn't be that hard, I'll see what I can do.  Not going to happen right away, busy with other stuff right now

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The problem with this mod is that I can't input my angle into the mod and let it automatically change. And I can't really use any of the tools except showing angles when I use a part that's connected to a node because it will click off when it's on rotate mode (next to the place, move, and re-root)