[1.12.x] Haystack ReContinued

linuxgurugamer

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tl;dr KSP mods -- including Haystack, Kerbal Konstructs -- seem to rely on the assumption that cwd is the KSP base directory (buildId.txt, GameData) in order to find their own assets, causing pointless problems.

This is just exploratory.  I've been running Haystack for three years under Linux and wondering why the appearance of the UI is so bad.  (Under Windows, previously, it was quite pretty.)

It appears that Haystack makes the assumption that the cwd is the KSP base directory (the one containing buildId.txt and GameData) and uses this to find its own assets (textures, icons).  This isn't my case on Linux Mint using an App Launcher on the desktop.

Kerbal Konstructs assumes the same and this one problem stopped me using it altogether also for three years.

In my opinion, it's not enough that there is a work-around for this, since people don't know and aren't told about it; they just have to go without.

It's possible this is a KSP Linux-only (or Steam environment) bug but I do regard it as a bug to be fixed, one way or another (e.g. AppContext.BaseDirectory.).

Have I got this wrong?  And is there anything that can be done?

[keywords: Linux]

Edited by Hotel26

5 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

tl;dr KSP mods -- including Haystack, Kerbal Konstructs -- seem to rely on the assumption that cwd is the KSP base directory (buildId.txt, GameData) in order to find their own assets, causing pointless problems.

This is just exploratory.  I've been running Haystack for three years under Linux and wondering why the appearance of the UI is so bad.  (Under Windows, previously, it was quite pretty.)

It appears that Haystack makes the assumption that the cwd is the KSP base directory (the one containing buildId.txt and GameData) and uses this to find its own assets (textures, icons).  This isn't my case on Linux Mint using an App Launcher on the desktop.

Kerbal Konstructs assumes the same and this one problem stopped me using it altogether also for three years.

In my opinion, it's not enough that there is a work-around for this, since people don't know and aren't told about it; they just have to go without.

It's possible this is a KSP Linux-only (or Steam environment) bug but I do regard it as a bug to be fixed, one way or another (e.g. AppContext.BaseDirectory.).

Have I got this wrong?  And is there anything that can be done?

[keywords: Linux]

A lot of mods make that assumption.  You should update your app launcher to cd to the directory before starting the game.

While your comment is correct, at this late date it's not reasonable to expect every mod author to update their mods for this case.  In many cases, the authors aren't around any more, and in my case, I have too many mods do this to,.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

update your app launcher

OK then.  For other desperados, here's the method (Ubuntu, Mint):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/50085/setting-the-working-directory  I added this line to the launcher in ~/Desktop:

Path=/home/kmk/env/games/KSP/1.7.3.2594

You can get your own Path from the Exec line in the launcher and truncate it to just the path to the directory.

In the case of Kerbal Konstructs, this is especially egregious because, not only does the mod not work, but you cannot deploy to the runway and you cannot exit KSP.  Kaput.  (I've reported it in that topic.)

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:28 PM, Hotel26 said:

This is a false alarm and inspection of the code and some better testing have shown that the latest Haystack works fine.

In debugging a similar problem in Kerbal Konstructs, I learned that one may change the CKAN "minimum version" setting and, as a result of doing so, the latest Haystack updated into my KSP 1.7.3 installation.  This is what rectified the textures/icons problem in Haystack, I believe.  Please ignore the report above.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dominiquini said:

I noticed that this mod is missing 2 icons:

- button_vessel_droppedpart

- button_vessel_deployedgroundpart

Thanks.

ummm, from where?  Are you getting any errors?  Details please, I just searched the entire mod, this text doesn't exist at all in it

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ummm, from where?  Are you getting any errors?  Details please, I just searched the entire mod, this text doesn't exist at all in it

@linuxgurugamer In the filter bar, in the mod's windows, is two missing icons (blank square). Than I search the log (KSP.log) and see this warnings! Than I checked the mod folder and this icons really don't exists!

If you want, I can upload some screenshot and the log file.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

@linuxgurugamer In the filter bar, in the mod's windows, is two missing icons (blank square). Than I search the log (KSP.log) and see this warnings! Than I checked the mod folder and this icons really don't exists!

If you want, I can upload some screenshot and the log file.

Thanks.

Logs and context--in this case a screenshot--are the minimums needed to track down any error, especially after @linuxgurugamer said he didn't know what you were referring to.

Screenshot:

DabuIRp.jpg

* Is possible to see that is 2 icons missing in the filter section of the window.

And the log:

[LOG 02:59:19.450] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'HaystackResourceLoader' from assembly 'HaystackReContinued'
[LOG 02:59:19.460] Missing file: GameData/HaystackContinued/icons/button_vessel_droppedpart.png
[LOG 02:59:19.460] Missing file: GameData/HaystackContinued/icons/button_vessel_deployedgroundpart.png
[LOG 02:59:19.462] HaystackContinued: loading settings
[LOG 02:59:19.485] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'HaystackSpaceCentre' from assembly 'HaystackReContinued'

Log (KSP.log): https://www.dropbox.com/s/iql04mcz7zz9ulf/KSP(Haystack).log?dl=0

Thanks

Ah, so these are two NEW items added in KSP 1.12.

So I need two new icons, do you think you can make a stab at creating them?

Also, I looked in the game, and since stock doesn't display those using anything different, I'm not sure they should be included.

What happens when you click those missing icons, does anything get displayed as a result?  and if so, what icons are used to display?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ah, so these are two NEW items added in KSP 1.12.

So I need two new icons, do you think you can make a stab at creating them?

Also, I looked in the game, and since stock doesn't display those using anything different, I'm not sure they should be included.

What happens when you click those missing icons, does anything get displayed as a result?  and if so, what icons are used to display?

The icon for 'Deployed Ground Part' appears in the TrackStation, with the name 'Deployed Science' . I'm not sure, I'm just inferring this since this icon doesn't appear in Haystack... I see now that Haystack have the filter 'Deployed Science Part'. So I don't know what this icon should represent...

I try to find where Squad put icons used in the program, but I don't find any. I can try take a screenshot and cut the icon, but I suck at image editing.

As for the Dropped Part icon, I suggest using the same icon for Debris...

But besides the icons, won't it be necessary to adjust the strings used too?

* In my game, a very early carrear game, I don't have any object that matches this filters...

Edited by Dominiquini

1 hour ago, Dominiquini said:

The icon for 'Deployed Ground Part' appears in the TrackStation, with the name 'Deployed Science' . I'm not sure, I'm just inferring this since this icon doesn't appear in Haystack... I see now that Haystack have the filter 'Deployed Science Part'. So I don't know what this icon should represent...

I try to find where Squad put icons used in the program, but I don't find any. I can try take a screenshot and cut the icon, but I suck at image editing.

As for the Dropped Part icon, I suggest using the same icon for Debris...

But besides the icons, won't it be necessary to adjust the strings used too?

* In my game, a very early carrear game, I don't have any object that matches this filters...

well, the icons are embedded in the code, you aren't going to find them.

Qhat strings?  I haven't looked into this yet, since it's something new,  so maybe that would be obvious, but it's been a while since I worked on this mod, so not up on it's internals at this time

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

well, the icons are embedded in the code, you aren't going to find them.

Qhat strings?  I haven't looked into this yet, since it's something new,  so maybe that would be obvious, but it's been a while since I worked on this mod, so not up on it's internals at this time

Details like "DeployedGroundPart" -> "Deployed Ground Part"...

As for the icons, I simply duplicated the 'Debris' and 'Deployed Science Part' icons so I don't get those white squares... I'm not sure what those filters should represent to propose or try to create icons for them!

Anyway, the mod seems to be working fine as it is.

Thanks.

New release, 0.5.7.2

• Added new icons:  button_vessel_droppedpart & button_vessel_deployedgroundpart
  • Added AssemblyFileVersion
  • Added translation of vessel type with two words combined to two words, english only
  • Updated KSP version to 1.12

Found another bug:

Appears that some filters are not working. I was playing with deployable parts and see this:

waU07Mw.png

I deselect all the filters, but the windows continue to show some items. I have vessels and probes that was hidden, but DeployedScienceController and DeployedSciencePart are still showing, despite I turn it off!

KSP.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts5jb2knx11fqfn/KSP(Haystack2).log?dl=0

Player.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gz2apq9cuazy8be/Player(Haystack2).log?dl=0

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Dominiquini said:

Found another bug:

Appears that some filters are not working. I was playing with deployable parts and see this:

waU07Mw.png

I deselect all the filters, but the windows continue to show some items. I have vessels and probes that was hidden, but DeployedScienceController and DeployedSciencePart are still showing, despite I turn it off!

KSP.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts5jb2knx11fqfn/KSP(Haystack2).log?dl=0

Player.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gz2apq9cuazy8be/Player(Haystack2).log?dl=0

Thanks.

Save file please, would be  helpful

7 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

When I use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll the contents of the window, I also change the zoom of the scene. "Click Through Blocker" don't should prevent that?

Thanks.

No.  ClickThroughBlocker only works on mods which use it.  The game does not use it at all, therefore clicks and mouse wheel will always fall through to the game.

I have been having a hard time finding an answer to my problem with Haystack.

I am running windows based KSP 1.11.2.3077 with Haystack ReContinued 0.5.7.3.  Haystack appears to only load the stock KSP planets.  I have Galaxies Unbound A Stellar Odyssey 1.0.2-3 and Titania 0.8 installed., but cannot locate vehicles when Haystack is sorted by celestial body.  If I sort by time launched or vessel type, I can locate all deployed craft.

Is Haystack running as coded, am I missing something in configuration, or is there a burp somewhere?

Thank you for your time and help.

• 1 month later...