All KSP users should report this game as it is a clear ripoff of KSP

DoctorDavinci

Steam users beware ... All KSP users should report this game as it is a clear ripoff of KSP

Looks like a reskinned KSP with a bunch of KSP mods incorporated into it

@SQUAD @Darth Badie - I'm not sure but it looks like there is some copyright infringement going on here ... especially considering that the video page clearly references KSP as the game in the video and it is in Alpha/early access on Steam

EDIT: another video of the game

Edited by DoctorDavinci

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Unless you can prove that code has been stolen, I'm not seeing anything that could count as illegal - but I am far from an expert.  As stated above, this is good.  Competition promotes innovation.

Very true, competition encourages innovation ... I just have the total impression that it is KSP reskinned and there is a bunch of CC BY SA licensed KSP mods incorporated into it

I can definitely see how OP would come to that conclusion, but I don't see any copyright infringement here. Does it look like  a reskinned KSP? Yep! Is the gameplay largely similar? Looks like it!

Is it theft? Probably not. If I wanted to, I could make a game that is 99.999999% the same as Doom called "Mood" and as long as I build everything myself from scratch and as long as I'm not recreating other's IPs (like instead of Doom Guy, its a generic "space marine"), it's legal.

In all actuality, this game is either being made by people who have no idea that KSP is a thing (pretty likely) or it's being made by people who love KSP but wish it was something more (not as likely) and this is the first step on a loooong road of development.

If simply being similar to another game is illegal, I'd like to have a word with the bajillion Minecraft clones out there.

7 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Very true, competition encourages innovation ... I just have the total impression that it is KSP reskinned and there is a bunch of CC BY SA licensed KSP mods incorporated into it

You could be right, but it's pretty hard to tell just by looking at it.

I mean, how many FPS games out there look like re-skinned versions of games in the same genre?  A great deal.

If you can show code or assets were directly copied or derived from KSP or mods with non-permitting licenses, then it is copyright infringement. I doubt this is the case, since either Squad, Take Two, or possibly Valve would have sent a cease and desist by now.

I'll have to look into that game anyways, since mention of elements like double precision coordinates suggest they're doing some things right straight out of the gate.

Looking at this video,  the design stage seems to have a bit more depth to it.

As for general assembly, I can't imagine that there are all that many options for stacking tubes together.
Then again, I never imagined how a space sim would work. Seems pretty obvious now, but that's just me after years of playing KSP.

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.
Added more wordses.

42 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

I can definitely see how OP would come to that conclusion, but I don't see any copyright infringement here. Does it look like  a reskinned KSP? Yep! Is the gameplay largely similar? Looks like it!

Is it theft? Probably not.

KSP is a lot harder to imitate than Minecraft.  A game with KSP's unique features appearing out of nowhere, running on the same backend,  is very suspicious.

15 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

KSP is a lot harder to imitate than Minecraft.  A game with KSP's unique features appearing out of nowhere, running on the same backend,  is very suspicious.

^^^This

I made this thread to bring it to the attention of the community as well as @SQUAD ... I do not know if it is copyright infringement but reporting it to those who can determine that is the best course of action

First step in determining if it is a ripoff of KSP is to recognize that it exists, no?

My main question is why in all of the video pages for this game that it is advertised as KSP ...

Here's my receipt for the above statement

ytfHVP3.png

Edited by DoctorDavinci

7 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

I've been exposed to a ton of clones in my time and very few of them have ever been straight asset-flips (not that those don't happen), so I don't know if I'd go so far as to label this as "suspicious," but perhaps maybe "worth following up on?"

I don't know.

To me it looks like a harmless KSP clone at its worst and competition at its best. But that's...just like my opinion, man.

11 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

From the looks of those videos it didn't exactly come out of nowhere. The oldest is almost 9 months old, and presumably a lot of work was done before that.

Stripping out everything identifiable as KSP would be a tremendous amount of work; adapting and stripping out the same from a number of mods would be, too.

I guess you could argue that the code could potentially violate copyrights, but that would be hard to prove, unless it just directly copies from KSP.

18 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Yes. A new game running on Unity. So very suspicious. It's not like Unity is a wildly popular free game engine or anything.

14 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

^^^This

I made this thread to bring it to the attention of the community as well as @SQUAD ... I do not know if it is copyright infringement but reporting it to those who can determine that is the best course of action

First step in determining if it is a ripoff of KSP is to recognize that it exists, no?

And the second step should be "look into it, maybe ask around", not "make a public accusation with the most hysteria-inducing title you can find".

21 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Suspicious, or just a developer finding interest in a new genre and deciding to take a crack at it.  I see nothing unreasonable about this project.  ...but maybe that's because I lived through the Doom-Clone-Apocalypse.

Just now, Greenfire32 said:

I've been exposed to a ton of clones in my time and very few of them have ever been straight asset-flips (not that those don't happen), so I don't know if I'd go so far as to label this as "suspicious," but perhaps maybe "worth following up on?"

Shooter games are pretty much boilerplate these days, and Minecraft is simple in implementation if original in idea.  Likewise nobody's calling Space Engineers a copyright violation, even though it's a build-your-own spaceflight game.

It's the cross of build-your-own, plus fairly realistic realtime spaceflight, which is unique.  This new game also uses Unity, is the thing.  It wasn't made with this in mind, it took years of tuning for Squad to make it cooperate.  Either they found a much easier way to do it, they stole it, or they're snowing us.  Maybe they are building their own engine but mocking it up in KSP in the meanwhile.  The resemblance is seriously uncanny alley.

13 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

not "make a public accusation with the most hysteria-inducing title you can find".

Bwahahaha ... you think that is the most hysteria inducing thing I can come up with ... lol

If you don't like my opinion you are welcome to form your own, however the title of this thread is how I took the situation and I am fully within my rights to do so ... Personal attacks aside, it is something that raises an eyebrow and should be looked into

Plus they are advertising it as KSP ... look at the video pages, it clearly states that it is KSP (or they are using that to advertise to KSP players)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Its clearly much more than a reskin. The 3d models are completely different (procedural wings standard), the engine thrust calculations are different (likely to be more realistic), the sound system is completely different.

It also seems to have a weapon system... I see not just missiles and guns, but something about a targetting pod

Its a unity game, like KSP, so there may be some code in common to both of them - but lacking any evidence to the contrary, my null hypothesis is that its stuff that both of them licensed along with the Unity engine.

They don't show much in the way of space travel, but it seems the navigation system for space is... non-existent, which makes me definitely think that they are building the game themselves, not stealing code

Imitating KSP is a very different thing from stealing their code and the code of modders.

This game looks interesting, and I'll keep an eye on it

16 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Yes. A new game running on Unity. So very suspicious. It's not like Unity is a wildly popular free game engine or anything.

It's a wildly popular free game engine that really wasn't designed with realistic spaceflight in mind.  The first Kraken came from Unity limitations.  The early joint problems?  Unity limitations.  The early landing leg problems?  Unity limitations.  Early sound problems?  Unity.  Control limits?  Unity.  Harvester spent years working around them.

So I guess it depends how polished this game is.  If it's well polished from the get go, I suspect they're either reskinning KSP for video mockups of an engine they're trying to build, or nicking something.  If there's wacky hijinks, maybe they're scratch building.

I do agree that at this point there's nowhere near enough to file anything.  Just need to find out more.

Edited by Corona688