All KSP users should report this game as it is a clear ripoff of KSP

DoctorDavinci

7 minutes ago, NovaSilisko said:

Edit: Lastly pt. 2: DoctorDavinci, maybe you shouldn't flaunt your screenshots that plainly show your torrent site bookmarks

Why is that? ... Nothing wrong with using torrents

Edited by DoctorDavinci

4 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Why is that? ... Nothing wrong with using torrents

There are legit torrents, but one could argue that nothing on kickasstorrents is legit, at all.

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There are legit torrents, but one could argue that nothing on kickasstorrents is legit, at all.

One could argue that point but one could argue that there are legit ones ... regardless, the shortcuts in my quicklaunch tab are not the subject of this thread

(Actually there are many legit things on kickass :wink:)

I don't think this should be turned into a witch-hunt against one person's bookmarks. Otherwise, while it's possible Flyout is engaging in underhanded marketing tactics, I still see a lot of subtle differences that suggest a fair chunk of work that could not have come from KSP.

First, the custom jet engine editor: KSP has nothing like that. KSP has parts called jet engines that operate on pre-determined altitude and speed curves. Flyout looks like it'll have full thermodynamic modeling of jet engine performance, allowing for reasonably accurate reproduction of performance even in bizarre environments.

Second, there's clearly been a lot more focus on procedural parts such as wings. While they might have taken inspiration from some of the procedural part mods for KSP, one thing to note is that these mods are coded to work with KSP API, not the Flyout game.

I also haven't seen any sort of orbital planning map, and in the short rocket segment, I don't think I saw a specific staging button or a lot of the other UI elements that would be required for an effective rocketry simulator. I do, however, see a lot of UI elements for aircraft.

Honestly, this seems to me more to be a BD Armory player's dream, with a heavy focus on aircraft, some weaponry built into the game, and rockets as maybe an afterthought.

10 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

So as a community, We're going after a game because it looks and operates similarly to KSP despite having some separating characteristics? I thought we were better then 99% of all fandoms out there, jfc.

This isn't a call to arms with the intention to shut down this game ... More to bring it to the attention of those who would know if it is a blatant rip off ... I think it is, but that is just my opinion

The objective is Inquiry, not obliteration

Edited by DoctorDavinci

9 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

So as a community, We're going after a game because it looks and operates similarly to KSP despite having some separating characteristics? I thought we were better then 99% of all fandoms out there, jfc.

No.

Someone created the thread saying it was "a clear ripoff" and that it should be reported, and then about one third of the people agreed with him, one third were enthusiastic about the game, and the last third was standing somewhere in the middle. (They might not be exact thirds, I haven't run exit polls)

The people arguing it's a ripoff are a small part within this thread which is itself a small part within these forums which themselves are a small part of the KSP community. It's not representative of what the community thinks nor what "we" want.

Edited by Gaarst

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

This isn't a call to arms with the intention to shut down this game ... More to bring it to the attention of those who would know if it is a blatant rip off ... I think it is, but that is just my opinion

The way you worded it made it sound so, not to mention you specifically requested users to report it.

3 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

No.

Someone created the thread saying it was a clear ripoff (sic), and then about one third of the people agreed with him, one third were enthusiastic about the game, and the last third was standing somewhere in the middle. (They might not be exact thirds, I haven't run exit polls)

The people arguing it's a ripoff are a small part within this thread which is itself a small part within these forums which themselves are a small part of the KSP community. It's not representative of what the community thinks nor what "we" want.

Thank you for putting my issue to rest.

Edited by kjack1111

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

This did not seem to be the tone of the thread you created. You could have either PMed a Squad team member (or asked a moderator to do it for you), or opened a thread titled something like "Flyout video game appears similar to KSP: anybody know more?"

Instead, you jumped straight to accusing the game's developers, and called for "everybody to report". 

6 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

The way you worded it made it sound so, not to mention you specifically requestedusers to report it.

So reporting it is how you get those who it involves to look into the issue ... How else would someone go about it?

As for how I worded it, I gave my opinion and still stand by it ... Whether it infringes on copyrights or not is up to the one who got the reports to determine, no?

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

So reporting it is how you get those who it involves to look into the issue ... How else would someone go about it?

As for how I worded it, I gave my opinion and still stand by it ... Whether it infringes on copyrights or not is up to the one who got the reports to determine, no?

Indeed it does.

Gonna throw my last opinion in here: Someone should give a official statement and lock the thread before it gets extremely nasty

8 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

This did not seem to be the tone of the thread you created. You could have either PMed a Squad team member (or asked a moderator to do it for you), or opened a thread titled something like "Flyout video game appears similar to KSP: anybody know more?"

Instead, you jumped straight to accusing the game's developers, and called for "everybody to report". 

7 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

One word: Necessity.

If you want to make a flight sim, that focuses both on air- and spaceflight, and where one makes their own vehicles via an in-game editor, there are only a few good ways to do it, and doing it with Unity is like making a skyscraper out of steel- it's not like a different steel building is a violation of the design. In a different analogy, saying that Flyaway is ripping off KSP is like saying the Airbus A320 is ripping off the Boeing 737 because they look like each other. Both those planes were designed that way because they needed to fill the massive short-haul, high-demand market, just like these two games want to give the user an opportunity to build and fly their own things. Frankly, I think it would be cool if we get procedural wing surfaces like were demonstrated in that video, and the fact that vanilla KSP still does not support a feature similar to this except for, maybe, fairings, makes me think that Flyaway is not just a repackaged version of what Squad spent seven years doing. The custom engines also support this- as far as I know, there's not even a mod that replicates this for us. And, if this was KSP,  then I really think there wouldn't be so much of a focus on planes, something that vanilla woefully puts on the sidelines. If anything, Flyaway looks like the beginning of a whole new, expanded Microsoft Flight Simulator that might someday give X-Plane 11 a run for its money.

EDIT: Also, realism. You ever fly a 747 replica with turbofans in KSP to supersonic speeds and then end in a five-G pullout? That doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would go over well in Flyaway.

EDIT, AGAIN: I agree with @kjack1111 and think this thread should be locked. Conveniently, I've been able to give my opinion, but I can already see that posting here was like walking into a bog full of quicksand... in Salem, Massachusetts, in the seventeenth century. Now, I have to avoid struggling just to keep my nose above the surface.

1 hour ago, Starman4308 said:

"who even distributes physical discs anymore?"

X-Plane 11 has eight discs. It was kind of weird to have to go upstairs every thirty minutes and change them during the install- it's the first time I've ever used the disc drive on this computer.

Edited by Confused Scientist

7 minutes ago, Confused Scientist said:

saying that this game is ripping off KSP is like saying the Airbus A320 is ripping off the Boeing 737

10 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Enough said ... Moderators please lock this thread

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Have you ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty"? The way this thread was opened was essentially libel if you are incorrect, making a false statement that harms the reputation of the defamed party.

You do not accuse people and drum up a call to arms until you are very certain. You can ask for an investigation, preferably in private, without publicly denouncing somebody.

I think it looks like a solid test demo but nothing more than that. I don't see any KSP assets and the engine designer and ocean physics look like a step above KSP.
In it's current state I'm not going to buy it but I'll probably still play it at some point if it's actually out there.

Competition is a good thing but I seriously doubt this unity project will ever be able to compete with KSP. I've played several open-world sandbox games like KSP but they all struggle to implement enough features and goals to make the gameplay enjoyable for more than a half hour.

11 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Have you ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty"? The way this thread was opened was essentially libel if you are incorrect, making a false statement that harms the reputation of the defamed party.

You do not accuse people and drum up a call to arms until you are very certain. You can ask for an investigation, preferably in private, without publicly denouncing somebody.

I do what I please, nobody tells me how I should go about doing things ... How I choose to word my posts is my prerogative, not yours ... If you have a different opinion then you are fully within your rights to believe them and express them

I expressed my opinion in the post and by people reporting the game those who are involved will know to take a look into the situation so as to be sure that they aren't getting shafted ... How is this a problem?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I do what I please, nobody tells me how I should go about doing things ... How I choose to word my posts is my prerogative, not yours ... If you have a different opinion then you are fully within your rights to believe them and express them

I expressed my opinion in the post and by people reporting the game those who are involved will know to take a look into the situation so as to be sure that they aren't getting shafted

How is this a problem?

Because you are harming another person, that's why. My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins. This applies just as much to speech as to physical actions.

Not all speech is protected. You cannot shout fire in a crowded theater. You cannot incite to immediate violence. You cannot defame somebody with untrue statements.

So yes, we can tell you how you should go about certain things. 

5 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

So yes, we can tell you how you should go about certain things. 

Sounds a bit like compelled speech to me when viewed in this context

I'm not shouting fire or swatting anyone, my post is not illegal, so where do you get off telling me that I have to obey you ... Get off your high horse