sevenperforce

After a rousing discussion of side-slung launch vehicle balancing at the following thread...

...I built a full-size Energia-Buran stack and started experimenting with Mun missions.

However, the complexities of balancing thrust (even if it's a touch easier than an STS-style shuttle) made me think...just how small an Energia-Buran clone could I manage to make?

Meet...the Baby Buran.

screenshot1.png

At a scant 10.3 tonnes, it's hard to imagine anything much smaller. But it does what it's designed to do!

No room for solar panels and no mass budget for an RTG, so it's all-battery-powered, with a probe core to allow it to do unmanned missions just like its much, much bigger brother. By default, the battery packs on the orbiter are locked so that only the one on the core booster is drained during ascent. It boasts a tiny heat shield on the underside, just in the right place to protect the cockpit, which also allows it to have a lightweight radial decoupler.

"Lemwig" sounded like a vaguely Russian name, I thought!

screenshot2.png

Just like the real Energia-Buran, the core has four engines and each of the Zenit-clone strap-on boosters has 4 locked nozzles and four gimbaling control nozzles. Of course, here they are all the same size, but no one is looking THAT closely.

Liftoff!

screenshot3.png

Two of the Oscar-Bs on each side booster are drained to allow a liftoff TWR>1.

And Lemwig careens off toward the heavens.

screenshot4.png

The engines are angled to provide roughly consistent thrust as the fuel tanks drain, but it's still a bit of a fight. There is a planned roll-over about halfway through ascent, both to take the pilot out of the airstream and to help maintain a good heading.

screenshot6.png

Glamour shot!

screenshot7.png

Here comes the roll-over.

screenshot8.png

Approaching booster burnout. By this point, I've already used an action group to cut two of the four booster engines to maintain thrust symmetry.

screenshot15.png

Boosters jettison together, just like Energia-Buran. They do not, however, separate and land independently on chutes, landing legs, and retrothrusters. I am not a god.

screenshot16.png

Good trajectory at separation.

screenshot17.png

Throttling down to reduce asymmetric torque below what my reaction wheel can handle.

screenshot20.png

Booster burnout! Turning my battery pack back on and preparing for booster separation.

screenshot23.png

Good separation. My two linear thrusters kick on to push me into orbit.

screenshot24.png

The burn shouldn't actually be too terribly long.

Ignore the maneuver node; the apoapse is way higher than I'll actually be going to. Just wanted a good maneuver vector.

screenshot26.png

Isn't it cute?

screenshot29.png

And we've got a good orbit!

screenshot32.png

Granted, that's not a LOT of dV for stuff to do in space, but with a good intercept you could rendezvous with a space station. Or it could be sent up unmanned to rescue a stranded Kerbal, thanks to that probe core.

Anyway, with no further ado, here's the deorbit burn!

screenshot34.png

I ended up quickloading because my first attempt didn't get me anywhere near the KSC, and for some reason my landing gear glitched into an odd position. Oh well; can't be helped!

screenshot36.png

Coming in hot, but it's nothing this kool Kerbal can't handle.

screenshot39.png

Honestly was more worried about that landing gear.

screenshot41.png

Hey, lookee there! We just might make it!

screenshot43.png

Nosing forward to get a better glide ratio.

screenshot44.png

Trying to turn...my inclination was a bit off.

screenshot48.png

Burning off remaining monoprop to extend my range and lighten my load. Besides, who wants that nasty hydrazine still in the tanks with an open-cockpit deadstick landing?

screenshot50.png

Looks like a good descent.

screenshot57.png

Lining up for landing.

screenshot59.png

Last-moment corrections.

screenshot61.png

Will I make it?

Why, I do believe I will.

screenshot65.png

Here we go! Let's hope that wonky landing gear holds up.

screenshot66.png

Touchdown!

screenshot67.png

And, done.

screenshot70.png

He's happy to be back!

screenshot71.png

6 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:

How about a payload version?

Recoverable or no? If you don't need it to be recoverable (e.g., Energia-Polyus), just make the booster stack into a subassembly and replace the orbiter with your encapsulated payload.

If you need it to be recoverable...well, what payload exactly do you intend to fit in that small of a space?

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Recoverable or no? If you don't need it to be recoverable (e.g., Energia-Polyus), just make the booster stack into a subassembly and replace the orbiter with your encapsulated payload.

If you need it to be recoverable...well, what payload exactly do you intend to fit in that small of a space?

starter payload... the second smalled octagonal grey control thgy and an antenna on it

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I would consider the Kerbal to be the Payload.  Stuff like this would be good for Space Station crew rotation.

Indeed. Of course, I can build a small recoverable SSTO to do the same job, but this is still pretty darn small.

12 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:

starter payload... the second smalled octagonal grey control thgy and an antenna on it

Here's what I suppose you might do if you wanted a payload version.

screenshot0.png

The heat shield and command seat are removed and the front cone has been attached to the rear node of the orbiter, then rotated and translated up. The whole profile has been elongated slightly to fit the payload. Should handle roughly the same on ascent and re-entry, though without batteries or solar power that starter payload isn't going to be transmitting for long.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.