Flyout Alpha Discusion

linuxgurugamer

I am repeating again my request that this thread stay on the subject of the game itself.  There was another thread which talked about the “ripoff”, copyright, etc. issues, which was shut down rather quickly.  This thread is to discuss the game, not the politics behind it

Thank you

Well, I'm not big on the weapon focus of it.

I would be interested in a KSP with customizable engines and better aerodynamics... which it seems this game will provide, but I still need to see much much more from of its spaceflight

58 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, I'm not big on the weapon focus of it.

I would be interested in a KSP with customizable engines and better aerodynamics... which it seems this game will provide, but I still need to see much much more from of its spaceflight

It looks like KSP but the other way around- instead of "focusing" on rockets and also being able to build planes, this "focuses" on planes and you are able to build rockets.

If the rocketry part ends up with the same procedural-part-esque detail that the planes do (and that engine customization), it should be fine. If not, I hope this thing will have modding support one day.

As for the weapons, I'm not really a fan of that either, but I'll probably just not use them. I don't know how the multiplayer works, but maybe someone could make a pacifist server... lol.

It looks interesting, definitely going to keep an eye on it.

The earlier videos do seem to show similar gadgets and visualizations as KSP, but it's obvious in later videos that it has moved away into a more distinctive look and feel. Considering the early stages of development, it's not really that surprising seeing 'shortcuts' or 'mockups' used based on things seen in other games - why waste time working out very detailed controls when one is still figuring out how to make the basics work. As more and more of the basics are fleshed out, more attention can be given to more distinctive UI features (and more ideas come along about how to do it 'better').

It doesn't seem to me at all like anything nefarious is going on, especially as there is a clear evolution showing that makes it less and less like KSP as later videos are published. Similarities may be explainable as simple as the fact that both are being developed on the same game engine, and there really only being so many ways in which one can visualize certain things in a simple easy to use manner: how many ways can one represent a 'cursor', or a 'menu', or a 'pull-handle', or a force vector... before you go from functional into ridiculous.

The plan seems rather ambitious: to include all kinds of engines, vehicles, and mechanics, land, sea, air and space. If they can achieve this, this could be a very interesting game. I do like the procedural parts and the engines-from-components design, which seems a logical continuation of the craft-from-components mechanic. Nicer graphics (in part, but then it's still early stages), and potentially nicer sound (a bit on the fence on some of the sounds and effects... I hope there's still some evolution to go there and that some of it is made optional). Weaponry stuff... meh. I like the attention to detail and mechanics of it, but it's not something I'd do much with.

The one thing that caught my eye was the wind speed and direction indicator on the lower right of the screen. I couldn't tell from the videos if it had any real effect on the planes, but it is interesting that it is being considered/included.

All in all it seems worth keeping an eye on. I don't see it displacing KSP, but I can see myself playing it alongside it. Just like I've played different FPS, RPG, RTS, simulators and sports games right alongside one another. The more the merrier.

i think it looks like a good start and hope you work it into a full game.

the community here is full of nice people, i know it may not look that way because of how the reactions went. but just remember its because they love KSP and dont want someone trying to take away from it.

I just got the code, loaded the game and tried it.

I can say that in no way is it a copy of KSP.  From the way things get built (somewhat awkward right now) to the way the planes fly, it's totally different.

Also, I took a look at it from a modding point of view, it is so different from KSP that there is no way mods can be ported from one to the other.

I didn't have time to take any pictures, after I've had some more time with it, I'll get some.

But, it's a great start to a sim which is not at all like KSP.  The parts are based on real life, the config files are an incomprehensible mess of data, to the point that while I can see certain things, they aren't as clear as KSP config files.

Now that the legal aspects (if any) have been brought to the attention of the appropriate people, why don't we stop speculating and arguing about it and leave the matter to those appropriate people? 

Also, thread moved to The Lounge since it isn't about KSP. 

On 1/27/2018 at 8:50 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

Advertising the game as KSP on YouTube to get views is false advertising and Intellectual Property infringement

Also I did not say to flag it as a rip off, I posted that people should report it as it is being advertied as KSP to get views ... read the thread and see what I repeatedly said in it

As a side note I find it amusing that some the videos in question have had the KSP tag removed since I brought this to the attention of the KSP community and Squad

I clearly expressed my opinion which is that the game is a KSP rip off (the video uploader has clearly stated that KSP was the inspiration), however I also clearly stated that I am not sure if there is copyright infringement going on and that is why I feel that people should report the game ... so that those who are involved become aware that their IP might be in the process of being stolen from them

A game company using another company's IP to advertise their own game which is direct competition to the the IP they are using for advertising is a clear violation of copyright law as I understand it

The person who uploaded the videos of Flyout also incriminated themself in this regard by admitting that he/she uses the KSP tag (as well as other games) in order to get views on their videos ... Essentially admitting that they are infringing on the KSP IP as the only reason for those videos to be up there is advertising for the game they are creating that is competition for the game they are using to advertise their game :confused:

It is a rip off in my opinion and the video uploader has pretty much confirmed this by the comments he has made on their videos as well as mine ... case in point - "You also falsely accused me of advertising my game as KSP. I use KSP (and other related games) in my video tags to get views." - this is a contradictory statement

Here's the link to the video that except comes from - 

Do you realize that YouTube's "Game Title Recognition" feature is glitchy,right?

They did not purposely put it as KSP to "advertise it",it was recognized by YouTube as "Kerbal Space Program" rather being a different game,I've seen the same thing happen before with other game videos.

8 minutes ago, Audiobotguy03 said:

Do you realize that YouTube's "Game Title Recognition" feature is glitchy,right?

They did not purposely put it as KSP to "advertise it",it was recognized by YouTube as "Kerbal Space Program" rather being a different game,I've seen the same thing happen before with other game videos.

I find it amusing that some of the videos no longer have the KSP tag ... interesting how that works

I guess it was glitchy YouTube who read what was said about the uploader and then removed the tags ... Amazing service this YouTube provides :confused:

Interesting thing is that the uploader specifically said themselves that they use KSP and other games in their video tags to get views

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I find it amusing that some of the videos no longer have the KSP tag ... interesting how that works

I guess it was glitchy YouTube who read what was said about the uploader and then removed the tags ... Amazing service this YouTube provides :confused:

Yeah,some of YouTube's features can be very buggy. XD

Edited by Audiobotguy03

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Like any of those Minecraft clones ever came close to even making 1% of what Minecraft made?

Funny you should say that.... Minecraft is often considered to be a copy cat...