The weak engine challenge

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, foamyesque said:

Really? Prove it (45 t going anywhere): There's points for a sea-level Eve return up there

Twenty-five Spark engines (1, 8, 8 x 2 symmetry) strapped to an orange tank plus five tonnes of logic and ISRU, and I could get to low Dres orbit. Just had under 4 km/s. Couldn't land though; was 50 m/s too short.

With better planning I could have refueled on Minmus and set up an ejection toward Dres from Minmus, burning only about 300 m/s back toward Kerbin and ejecting from there. A normal ejection from 86 km LKO cost just over 1500 m/s. Starting from Minmus and dipping down at the right time, I might save 400 m/s or so, which would have allowed me to land there.

Using small engines you'd need the modded Spark from Eve Optimized Engines. Even then I think TWR is too low.

4 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Twenty-five Spark engines (1, 8, 8 x 2 symmetry) strapped to an orange tank plus five tonnes of logic and ISRU, and I could get to low Dres orbit. Just had under 4 km/s. Couldn't land though; was 50 m/s too short.

With better planning I could have refueled on Minmus and set up an ejection toward Dres from Minmus, burning only about 300 m/s back toward Kerbin and ejecting from there. A normal ejection from 86 km LKO cost just over 1500 m/s. Starting from Minmus and dipping down at the right time, I might save 400 m/s or so, which would have allowed me to land there.

Using small engines you'd need the modded Spark from Eve Optimized Engines. Even then I think TWR is too low.

In principle, an unmodified Spark engine can lift 0.2t of mass over and above its engine mass, at Eve sea level. A launcher is therefore theoretically possible, but I, for one, should not like to see what kind of monstrosity would be needed to make it work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Edit: I removed the previous entry posted here. I missed the part where it said it had to transport a kerbal.

In its place I post a two-stage rocket that uses only Terrier engines to lift a kerbal to LKO and bring it back safely again. It was made for a different challenge, but it is valid for this one too.

Spoiler

KdgClNu.png

19 Terrier booster stage, single-terrier orbital stage. Note that the sepratrons are used only to carry the loading pod away, before the rocket is launched.

TvoXGjX.png

Booster stage just gets us to 160 m/s and 2km, but it's enough so the single-engine orbital stage can carry itself to orbit.

7CI7XNG.png

Stable 81km orbit reached.

4PDRjaT.png

Last half unit of LFO used to deorbit, aerobraking does the rest. Kerbal is kept safe from reentry heat.

4AMgCis.png

Safely back on the surface.

Full imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/39fzZ4n

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/Terrier2LKO-1b

Edited by swjr-swis
replaced by valid entry

I'll let you guys decide how many points this mission is worth.  My destination wasn't listed.

https://imgur.com/a/RSGvnMg

Edit: While obviously a modded game, I used only vanilla parts with their vanilla functionality, barring the inclusion of MechJeb's functionality being added to probe cores.

Edited by Aetharan

• 1 month later...

I did this tiny part challenge for Reddit a while back, but I believe it qualifies for this one also. Jeb takes a multistage craft, landing on the Mun, Minmus, and Gilly and then returning to spashdown way out at sea. I actually ended up doing a separate mission to manually recover him and the surviving hardware.

dBsAYjq.png

full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.