[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] AnyRes Continued - Change your screen resolution on the fly

linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any chance that can change?  I'm at the most recent version of AnyRes but whatever mechanism that was added to keep the resolution on scene change is not working.  It goes from 1080 in the VAB back to 4k whenever I do a launch, which makes trying to use any UI element pretty difficult.  Having to try to go to the space center to reset every time is painful (and likely to fail anyway as it often changes resolution back to 4k when I go back to what I was doing)

I saw the patch note saying it was disabled for performance reasons; I personally am willing to take the hit since I can't play the game otherwise.

Edited by atiaxi
clarifying when resolution change happens

44 minutes ago, atiaxi said:

Any chance that can change?  I'm at the most recent version of AnyRes but whatever mechanism that was added to keep the resolution on scene change is not working.  It goes from 1080 in the VAB back to 4k whenever I do a launch, which makes trying to use any UI element pretty difficult.  Having to try to go to the space center to reset every time is painful (and likely to fail anyway as it often changes resolution back to 4k when I go back to what I was doing)

I saw the patch note saying it was disabled for performance reasons; I personally am willing to take the hit since I can't play the game otherwise.

That is extremely odd,   It is supposed to reset the resolution to the last set.

I'll need a log file to debug, please.  Player.log would be best

My Player.log apologies in advance for the fact that I have quite a few mods installed so it's like 6MB.

This is the sequence of events:

• Started a new game
  • Used AnyRes to set the space center resolution to 1080
  • Entered the VAB
  • Resolution reset itself back to HD
  • Exited the VAB
  • AnyRes successfully reset the resolution to 1080
  • Entered the VAB - resolution remained 1080 this time
  • Created a minimal spacecraft, hit launch
  • Resolution reset back to HD

Edited by atiaxi
Link markup doesn't work the way I thought.

16 hours ago, atiaxi said:

My Player.log apologies in advance for the fact that I have quite a few mods installed so it's like 6MB.

This is the sequence of events:

• Started a new game
  • Used AnyRes to set the space center resolution to 1080
  • Entered the VAB
  • Resolution reset itself back to HD
  • Exited the VAB
  • AnyRes successfully reset the resolution to 1080
  • Entered the VAB - resolution remained 1080 this time
  • Created a minimal spacecraft, hit launch
  • Resolution reset back to HD

Are you in full screen mode or windowed?

Settings screen when I boot up the game shows me at Full Screen, 1920 x 1080 (the 1080 is my *desired* resolution rather than the screen's actual resolution, and is what I use in AnyRes).  Actual resolution of the screen is 3840x2160, if it helps.

Also,  FWIW, I'm not launching the program with any command line arguments (I know that can sometimes do weird resolution things)

8 hours ago, atiaxi said:

Settings screen when I boot up the game shows me at Full Screen, 1920 x 1080 (the 1080 is my *desired* resolution rather than the screen's actual resolution, and is what I use in AnyRes).  Actual resolution of the screen is 3840x2160, if it helps.

Also,  FWIW, I'm not launching the program with any command line arguments (I know that can sometimes do weird resolution things)

Ok, I’m not at a computer and somewhat unavailable for the next week or so, but will try to look at this soon.

15 hours ago, atiaxi said:

It seems that there is something else changing your resolutions. I have no idea what, I've tested this on my HD screens and didn't have the problem.

I'm making a new release to restore the functionality on all screens, out soon

21 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It seems that there is something else changing your resolutions. I have no idea what, I've tested this on my HD screens and didn't have the problem.

I'm making a new release to restore the functionality on all screens, out soon

I'd guess another mod since I haven't seen this in other unity games on my machine.

Definitely a heartfelt thank you! for the new release!  This mod is the only thing making the game playable, and I'm playing it right now!  :D

1 hour ago, atiaxi said:

I'd guess another mod since I haven't seen this in other unity games on my machine.

Definitely a heartfelt thank you! for the new release!  This mod is the only thing making the game playable, and I'm playing it right now!  :D

Might be something else in your video settingsm what kind of video board do you have?

6 hours ago, atiaxi said:

I'm running it on an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060.  Here's a full dxdiag if it helps but full disclosure the thing's almost 2000 lines long :) 

Thanks, but didn't need that.  I was just wondering if it might have been a different one; I'm using an RTX 2070 myself, so essentially the same drivers.

There might be something else in your system (not a mod) which might be sending messages to the game.  No idea, just a thought

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@linuxgurugamerOk finally found this mod and it is an eye saver to be sure.  I also have the problem of resolution still switching on many scene changes, so the button available on all scenes is a must, so thanks for that.  However, like many others, I am having some issues.  If needed I can supply player logs.  My laptop runs at 4k (3840x2160) on an Nvidia RTX 3080.

1)   I am not able to alt-tab out of the game.  I hit alt-tab, I get a brief flash of my desktop, and then the game is back in the foreground.  this is not 100% consistent, it is tied to resolution selection.  If I am at native screen resolution alt-tab works normally.

2)  And as others have mentioned, if I am not in my native resolution, the popup windows for alarm clock, messages, deltav, and engineering report (all the stock popup windows in the bottom right corner) do not show on screen.  I assume they are working, but just being displayed at their default location as if the resolution was still in 3840x2160, so they are just being displayed out of the physical monitor space.  These windows do not float and are just tied to the lower right corner of the display, so if they do not recognize the resolution change, they would be trying to popup outside the physical monitor space.

3 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

@linuxgurugamerOk finally found this mod and it is an eye saver to be sure.  I also have the problem of resolution still switching on many scene changes, so the button available on all scenes is a must, so thanks for that.  However, like many others, I am having some issues.  If needed I can supply player logs.  My laptop runs at 4k (3840x2160) on an Nvidia RTX 3080.

1)   I am not able to alt-tab out of the game.  I hit alt-tab, I get a brief flash of my desktop, and then the game is back in the foreground.  this is not 100% consistent, it is tied to resolution selection.  If I am at native screen resolution alt-tab works normally.

2)  And as others have mentioned, if I am not in my native resolution, the popup windows for alarm clock, messages, deltav, and engineering report (all the stock popup windows in the bottom right corner) do not show on screen.  I assume they are working, but just being displayed at their default location as if the resolution was still in 3840x2160, so they are just being displayed out of the physical monitor space.  These windows do not float and are just tied to the lower right corner of the display, so if they do not recognize the resolution change, they would be trying to popup outside the physical monitor space.

How are you starting the game?

And, regarding the position for the windows, I'll have to look at that, but not sure if there is a solution

Game is started from steam "play" button, no command line options set.  I then just load a save, but resolution changes done with the game settings just do not seem to hold.  I am sure you are familiar with what I mean, as this was the reason for this mod in the first place...

17 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Game is started from steam "play" button, no command line options set.  I then just load a save, but resolution changes done with the game settings just do not seem to hold.  I am sure you are familiar with what I mean, as this was the reason for this mod in the first place...

Strange, I don't have this issue at all, but then, I don't use the Steam version, and start the game using CKAN.

Testing it using Steam, only mod installed is AnyRes.

Started the game, created a new sandbox save, at space center changed res, then exited to main menu and exited the game

After restarting, the game kept the saved resolution.  Then I created a new preset resolution (an odd one), started the game again, and again, it remembered the resolution

So not sure what's going on .   What in the AnyRes/PluginData directory?  There should be a number of files, would help to see them.

Are you saving the resolution as a preset?

also, how are you exiting the game?