Eloquent Spacecraft Systems Redux

0S2QrN0.png

With the new year comes my new and improved space exploration architecture. My goal is simple (though far easier said than achieved): to design, test, and provide spacecraft and associated infrastructure for the complete exploration of the Kerbol system. Obviously this is a monumental task, but KSP is a game where ambition generally leads to results (provided you have enough experience for it to not lead to explosions).

My designs will be modded, of course, and will be optimized for function with the 3.2x Rescale because I think it's more balanced than stock and it leads to far better-looking rockets (no more oversized fairings on tiny boosters). They will work perfectly well in stock-scale KSP, but of course they will all be massively overpowered for that.

Currently Working On

• Launch Vehicles
  • Space Probes for Kerbin SOI

Mods

Required

Spoiler

These mods are necessary to use the majority of my spacecraft. No config settings are changed from the defaults.

• B9 Part Switch (dependency)
  • Color Coded Cannisters (aesthetic)
  • Colorful Fuel Lines (aesthetic)
  • Community Resource Pack (dependency)
  • Cryogenic Engines (parts)
  • Cryo Tanks (parts) (downloaded with Cryogenic Engines or Kerbal Atomics)
  • Deployable Engines (dependency) (downloaded with Cryogenic Engines or Kerbal Atomics)
  • DMagic Orbital Science (parts)
  • Dynamic Battery Storage (dependency)  (downloaded with Cryogenic Engines or Kerbal Atomics)
  • Fuel Tanks Plus (parts)
  • Heat Control (parts)
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch (dependency)
  • Kerbal Atomics (parts)
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (utility) (you could go through and autostrut everything manually, but this is simpler)
  • Lithobrake Exploration Technologies (parts)
  • MechJeb 2 (parts/utility) (feel free to remove the MechJeb core from spacecraft if you don't want to use it, but you'll need the mod installed to access the craft files to begin with)
  • ModuleManager (dependency for everything)
  • Near Future (all mods) (parts)
  • NRAP Procedural Test Weight (parts)
  • PatchManager (dependency) (I think)
  • Pebkac Industries: Launch Escape Systems (parts)
  • SpaceY Heavy Lifters (parts)
  • Station Parts Expansion Redux (parts)
  • Tweakscale (not sure how to categorize; used for aesthetics in many spacecraft)

Recommended

Spoiler

These mods aren't required for my spacecraft to function (at least, they shouldn't be) but they are very useful.

• Editor Extensions Redux (utility for spacecraft creation)
  • EVA Fuel (balance mod)
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock (utility)
  • Kerbal Attachment System & Kerbal Inventory System (utility)
  • Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator (downloaded with Kopernicus), Kronometer, Rescale 3.2x and Sigma Dimensions (all work together to scale up the Kerbol system to the 3.2x scale for which my spacecraft are balanced)
  • Stage Recovery (utility)
  • Trajectories (utility)
  • TRP-Hire (utility)

Universal Action Groups

These are common to all vessels unless specifically stated otherwise in the description.

Spoiler

1 = Toggle solar panels & antennae
2 = Toggle cargo bays & service bays
3 = Toggle radiators
0 = Science

Launch Instructions

Spoiler

For most rockets, use the default MechJeb settings for ascent (if you are using MechJeb's ascent autopilot), but with "auto-deploy solar panels" turned off (since there is a solar panel action key). For manual flight, I recommend flying each rocket with the provided test weight to figure out its best launch profile; unless stated otherwise all rockets are designed for full throttle at all stages of flight (except fine-tuning apoapsis). All vertical launch vehicles are designed to transport the stated payload to a 120km Kerbin orbit. Deploy fairings above 90km (or when MechJeb does it automatically with the default settings, which is usually at about 95km). Payload fairings are designed with the launch vehicle's payload capacity in mind; you should try to keep within the volume of the fairing for custom payloads, as enlarging the fairing to accommodate a larger payload will reduce the effective payload mass that the rocket can carry.

For the Quicksilver 1 rocket, always keep first stage throttle above 70%. Try to prevent acceleration from increasing beyond about 30m/s (until you reach the point where you can no longer throttle down further without dropping below 70%). There are MechJeb settings for both of these conditions.

Vehicles

Spacecraft

Spoiler

Crewed Exploration Vehicles

Spoiler

Bellatrix CEV-1

OIzmHEP.png

Class: Crewed Exploration Vehicle
Type: Spacecraft
Features: RCS; LES; Solar Power Generation; Atmospheric Landing System; Docking System; Command System (crewed/autonomous)
Launch Vehicle: Quicksilver 3
Description: A simple one-kerbal spacecraft designed for transporting crew to/from low Kerbin orbit.

Station Modules

Spoiler

Alnitak Series

Modules

https://kerbalx.com/hangars/29979

Spoiler

Control Module

WHi4Uiv.png

Class: Station Module
Type: Mk1 Module
Features: RCS; Solar Power Generation; Docking System; Habitation; Command System (crewed/autonomous); Probe Control
Description: A small station core. Intended to be the first module of Alnitak-series stations.

Habitat Module

8FNxq38.png

Features: RCS; Solar Power Generation; Habitation; Docking System
Description: A two-kerbal habitation module for Alnitak-series stations. Can support three kerbals on a large station, provided they sleep in shifts.

Hub Module

jzkmMfo.png

Features: RCS; Solar Power Generation; Docking System
Launch Vehicle: Quicksilver 2
Description: A simple four-way docking hub, for connecting to Mk1 modules or trusses.

Science Module

5yPlXlZ.png

Features: Docking System; Science Equipment; Data Storage
Launch Vehicle: Quicksilver 2
Description: An array of science equipment for use on board a station. Has a truss connector at one end.

Service Module

XuEJ66k.png

Features: RCS; Docking System; Airlock
Description: A station module with a good amount of power and monopropellant storage; also useful for allowing crew to exit the station on spacewalks without depressurizing everything.

Trusses

Spoiler

Comms Truss

6j2A6go.png

Type: Mk1 Truss
Features: Solar Power Generation; Antenna (mid-range; relay); Docking System
Launch Vehicle: Quicksilver 1
Description: Alnitak-series communication truss. Extends communications range of stations or spacecraft. Capable of signal relay.

Radiator Truss

XhI73Tw.png

Features: Docking System; Radiator
Description: A simple Mk1 truss designed for radiating excess thermal energy.

Solar Truss

ynCJmRQ.jpg

Features: Solar Power Generation; Docking System
Description: Solar arrays on a Mk1 truss.

Utility Truss

7ybkgeQ.png

Features: Docking System
Description: A structural truss storing a moderate amount of propellant and electricity.

Alnilam-series Mk2 Modules & Trusses

WIP

Mintaka-series Mk3 Modules & Trusses

WIP

Edited by septemberWaves

20 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

I am debating using the Outer Planets mod, but that will likely depend on how my initial interplanetary mission architecture turns out (as well as depending on Outer Planets getting updated).

Galileo has been maintaining the Outer Planets mod unofficially for the moment HERE if you're interested.  His stated goal isn't to change anything, but to keep the mod in working order.

My plan was always to accomplish full exploration of the stock Kerbin system within the stock game, but then move on to Outer Planets.  At that point, Nertea's mod collections will be my ticket to Sarnus and beyond. :) I see you've already dove into his Station Parts Redux pack.  Amazing isn't it?!

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

Galileo has been maintaining the Outer Planets mod unofficially for the moment HERE if you're interested.  His stated goal isn't to change anything, but to keep the mod in working order.

My plan was always to accomplish full exploration of the stock Kerbin system within the stock game, but then move on to Outer Planets.  At that point, Nertea's mod collections will be my ticket to Sarnus and beyond. :) I see you've already dove into his Station Parts Redux pack.  Amazing isn't it?!

Thanks for the link; though actually I discovered that not long after starting this thread.

And yes, Nertea's new station parts are incredible. I have some pretty big plans for them (and in fact I'm using all of Nertea's mods save for CTT and Mk4 Spaceplanes). The new station parts in particular were actually part of what inspired me to come back to KSP and focus on spacecraft design. Another influencing factor were your mission architectures actually.

W35E7Wa.jpg

BMKy57A.jpg

A station I've made with my prototype Mk1 station modules. Not all of the modules have control points (to save on part count; this station is already 241 parts) so docking will have to be done while still attached to the upper stage of the Quicksilver rocket that launches each module.

Currently-designed modules are: station core; hub module; habitat module; service/airlock module; solar truss; communications truss. Future modules include: science module; service truss.

I still do not yet have names for either the station part series or the 1-kerbal pods. Suggestions would be appreciated (though there's no guarantee I'll use what is suggested).

Is @septemberWaves part of a larger re-branding?

35 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

I still do not yet have names for either the station part series or the 1-kerbal pods. Suggestions would be appreciated (though there's no guarantee I'll use what is suggested).

Speaking of names, suggestions might be dependent on whether you want to adhere to a specific naming convention.  As an example, my EV (Exploration Vehicle) series follows boat/ship types as reminiscent of old sailing ships centuries ago.  I just realized I'm going to have to possibly reshuffle some of my craft to make room for the Gemini-inspired two-Kerbal command pod. :P

I changed my name to septemberWaves because I changed my name irl and I didn't want to go by Jane any more on the forums either. There's no bigger reason than that.

I do tend to stick with a naming convention (for example, my 1.25m station parts will likely have a similar name origin to 2.5m and 3.75m station parts when I eventually create those). It's really just a matter of figuring out what naming convention to use.

By the way @Raptor9, you'll probably recognize a design influence with my station trusses; the idea of using structural parts to either side of a round central part in that manner was predominantly inspired by your designs.

Edited by septemberWaves

Update

7woK9EI.jpg

The crewed Kerbin orbit architecture is complete. Find the Alnitak-series station parts, along with the Bellatrix CEV-1 spacecraft, in the original post of this thread.

The station pictured above is something I built to test out all the parts; I tested fitting trusses together (the truss sections are designed to connect as near to seamlessly as possible) as well as launching and rendezvousing every module. The parts are designed for stations which will generally be somewhat smaller than my example design (two to five modules perhaps, rather than twelve) but I wanted to showcase all modules.

I'll be adding the mod list, as well as flight instructions, to the original post in this thread soon.

Edited by septemberWaves

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.