Can't complete "Splash down test" missions.

Hello to the KSPC,

I've joined the Kerbal space race recently, and i've come across a type of missions i can't seem to be able to complete.

i.e:

Test Rockomax Brand Decoupler splashed down at Kerbin

Test Rovemax Model S2 splashed down at Kerbin

When i complete those missions, the 2nd and 3rd  ("kerbin"  and the "splashed down") lines get the green check mark, but the first line the one that says "Test..." doesn't.

Could this be a bug? Has anyone had the same issue? Or am i just doing something wrong? Guidance needed over here!

Edited by mugen

Welcome to the forums! You need to read the fine print on the contract. Both of these kinds of contracts require extra actions on your part.

To test a decoupler, you need to stage it with the spacebar when all the other conditions are ticked with green check marks.

To test a wheel, you need to open the wheel's "context menu". There will be a button at the bottom that says "Run Test".

Neither of these things happen automatically.

Edited by bewing

One quick trick to note: If a thing requires staging, you can still use that thing in normal flight by staging it. Just, when you're in the correct position (be it splashed down, orbiting at the correct altitude, or even flying Xm/s at Y,000 meters off the ground in atmosphere) you can drag the part out of the "staged" bucket at the bottom of the list on the left, up to the "next stage," creating a new stage with that already used part in it. Then stage again (sometimes you have to hit spacebar twice).

This even works on SRBs and decouplers that can't actually do anything when staged a 2nd time.

Another minor point when getting "splashed down at Kerbin" contracts, you don't actually have to take off. If you have a reasonable rover you can simply drive into the water. This helps keep costs down. Although the sight of a tiny rover with a couple of engines strapped to it...... Likewise "landed at Kerbin" doesn't need am actual landing, merely for the craft to be landed.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

One quick trick to note: If a thing requires staging, you can still use that thing in normal flight by staging it. Just, when you're in the correct position (be it splashed down, orbiting at the correct altitude, or even flying Xm/s at Y,000 meters off the ground in atmosphere) you can drag the part out of the "staged" bucket at the bottom of the list on the left, up to the "next stage," creating a new stage with that already used part in it. Then stage again (sometimes you have to hit spacebar twice).

This even works on SRBs and decouplers that can't actually do anything when staged a 2nd time.

Actually, in my experience I don't even have to do that much.  Even the contracts that say that you have to "activate from staging" will generally still have a "Run Test" button that also works, instead of staging.

For example, I've often got contracts that want me to test an SRB, supposedly by staging it, in orbit (or flying in the upper atmosphere, or wherever-- the point being, not on the ground).  That's a pain, because SRBs are big and heavy and I'd like to use the SRB to get up there where I need to test it.

Well, turns out it's no problem-- I can stage the SRB right off the pad, no problem, and use its own thrust to help get it where it needs to be.  And then I can use the "Run Test" button to complete the contract.  No rearrangment of staging required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.