[1.12] Stockalike Station Parts Redux (June 12, 2022)

Nertea

So I was just going through some parts, of this amazing modpack btw, stations can look amazing with them. And having TAC life support, it got me wondering about some design decisions:

First, that of the greenhouse taking in the named resource "minerals", while granted, this resource can be acquired at the spot at the cost of mostly food, but instead wouldn't be better to use the generic stock "ore" resource for it? While it could still be rather small comparative amount, its still some other incentive to get foreign mining going on. Or at least, it could be a direct resource conversion from food -> greenhouse with the ratios taken care of.

Second, my confusion about what the resource that the greenhouse should actually be able to provide, as it seems to take mostly food and convert it to oxygen, whereas, from my understanding of the TACLS mod, food is the only actual resource that is not renewable by other means. Also taken into consideration that waste is the only resource not being used as well, why not make the greenhouse primarily a conversion from waste -> food, a-la martian style. Plus some extra conversion of course, of CO2 -> O2, and usage of water, wastewater preferably, after all, what not better use of human waste as to not fertilize your own potatoes.

Third, I also noticed that most habitable modules have their own set of life-support keeping, essentially making utility modules optional, I'm just wondering why that is.

Oof I'm so sorry to bother you on a different thread. I know you're really busy and you've given so much to the community. But I love your parts so much and it's really depressing when some parts of yours don't work. Don't ask me why, it sadly just is.

For me it's the Containers from this mod, I can see them in the VAB;

Screenshot_2020-08-15_at_12.18.10_PM.png

But I can't see them in the tech tree nor research them etc. (I have community tech tree installed!)

Screenshot_2020-08-15_at_12.08.03_PM.png

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi Nertea.

Here's my full mod list;

Spoiler

000_ClickThroughBlocker 
001_ToolbarControl 
B9PartSwitch
 Chatterer 
CommunityCategoryKit 
CommunityResourcePack 
CommunityTechTree 
ContractConfigurator 
ContractPacks 
CryoEngines 
CryoEnginesNFAero 
CryoEnginesRestock 
CryoTanks 
DMagicOrbitalScience 
DecayingRTGs 
DeployableEngines 
DynamicBatteryStorage 
HeatControl 
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes 
KAS 
KIS 
KSPRescuePodFix 
KerbalAtomics 
KerbalAtomicsLH2NTRModSupport 
KerbalEngineer 
Kerbalism 
KerbalismConfig 
KronalVesselViewer 
MarkIVSystem 
MechJeb2 
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll 
ModuleManager.ConfigCache 
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA 
ModuleManager.Physics 
ModuleManager.TechTree 
NearFutureAeronautics 
NearFutureConstruction 
NearFutureElectricaNTRs 
NearFutureElectrical 
NearFutureExploration 
NearFutureLaunchVehicles 
NearFutureMethalox 
NearFutureProps 
NearFuturePropulsion 
NearFutureSolar 
NearFutureSpacecraft 
ReStock 
ReStockPlus 
RealPlume 
RealPlume-Stock 
RestockRigidLegs 
SCANsat 
SmokeScreen 
SpaceTuxLibrary 
Squad 
SquadExpansion 
StationPartsExpansionMetal 
StationPartsExpansionRedux 
TriggerTech 
UniversalStorage2 
WaypointManager 
WildBlueIndustries 
XenonHallThrusters

Edited by iteranthypatic

15 minutes ago, iteranthypatic said:

Oof I'm so sorry to bother you on a different thread. I know you're really busy and you've given so much to the community. But I love your parts so much and it's really depressing when some parts of yours don't work. Don't ask me why, it sadly just is.

For me it's the Containers from this mod, I can see them in the VAB;

Screenshot_2020-08-15_at_12.18.10_PM.png

But I can't see them in the tech tree nor research them etc. (I have community tech tree installed!)

Screenshot_2020-08-15_at_12.08.03_PM.png

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi Nertea.

Here's my full mod list;

Reveal hidden contents

000_ClickThroughBlocker 
001_ToolbarControl 
B9PartSwitch
 Chatterer 
CommunityCategoryKit 
CommunityResourcePack 
CommunityTechTree 
ContractConfigurator 
ContractPacks 
CryoEngines 
CryoEnginesNFAero 
CryoEnginesRestock 
CryoTanks 
DMagicOrbitalScience 
DecayingRTGs 
DeployableEngines 
DynamicBatteryStorage 
HeatControl 
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes 
KAS 
KIS 
KSPRescuePodFix 
KerbalAtomics 
KerbalAtomicsLH2NTRModSupport 
KerbalEngineer 
Kerbalism 
KerbalismConfig 
KronalVesselViewer 
MarkIVSystem 
MechJeb2 
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll 
ModuleManager.ConfigCache 
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA 
ModuleManager.Physics 
ModuleManager.TechTree 
NearFutureAeronautics 
NearFutureConstruction 
NearFutureElectricaNTRs 
NearFutureElectrical 
NearFutureExploration 
NearFutureLaunchVehicles 
NearFutureMethalox 
NearFutureProps 
NearFuturePropulsion 
NearFutureSolar 
NearFutureSpacecraft 
ReStock 
ReStockPlus 
RealPlume 
RealPlume-Stock 
RestockRigidLegs 
SCANsat 
SmokeScreen 
SpaceTuxLibrary 
Squad 
SquadExpansion 
StationPartsExpansionMetal 
StationPartsExpansionRedux 
TriggerTech 
UniversalStorage2 
WaypointManager 
WildBlueIndustries 
XenonHallThrusters

Thanks to @ssd21345 (and perhaps their mum), we found where the missing logistics containers are! They've been displaced to the Fuel Systems node here;

unknown.png

Hey there @Nertea

First off: Thank you for your hard work and tight communication with your fans! :)From the looks this seems to be an amazing mod, also!

Now the downside. ;.; Unfortunately I can't get it to run properly. I installed it as described, also using the included dependencies. Sadly, however, when I load the game it outputs a fatal error related to B9PartSwitch and your mod, forcing me to quit the game. I tried removing your mod and starting my game with your included B9PartSwitch version and all my mods, except yours - works like a charm. Just in case, despite announced same version, I also tried loading the B9partSwitch mod from its own page, latest version, and used your mod with that. Same error.

If I try to load my game with your mod but remove B9partSwitch, the game works - except (obviously) I don't have a right-click menu on any parts in the construction hangar anymore. That's why I'm coming here to ask for help. I suspect the problem somewhere in your mod, rather than B9PartSwitch. Any idea?

Fhe fatal error upon loading: https://pasteboard.co/JmFFfs3.png

My KSP Player Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsign2dyfvkp1lq/Player.log?dl=0

EDIT: I may have found the issue myself. It *appears* that it is an issue (not sure in what relation) between B9partSwitch, your mod and the TAC Mod. In that error popup (see image link above) I spotted something about "food" not found. That made me think about the TAC mod I have installed. I just took that mod off with your mod and everything else still installed and shooshoo there you go - your mod (so far) works like a charm.

Edited by mikeyshu

54 minutes ago, mikeyshu said:

Nope, I have had it installed for a long while and never took it out during the testing.

Are you sure? It might be worth checking. It's not installed in your log, and you have a lot of errors related to loading TAC's resource set in there, indicating that the required resources (food, oxygen, etc) are not present in configs.

@Nertea I took a cheeky peek at the english localisation file and saw that (for a while now) you included some planned 5m parts, namely the 

- SDV-2 'Atlas' Deep Space Habitation Module

- SDV-3 'Minerva' Deep Space Control Module

- SDV-1 'Leto' Deep Space Logistics Module

and the

- SDV-X 'Cronus' Extensible Centrifuge.

Since you are currently quite busy with stuff like Kerbal Atomics and CryoEngines (I think), I don't expect to see any updates on that soon. However, since you based a lot of stuff in SSPX and NF parts on existing concepts...what are the inspirations for these four?

I'm especially curious about the centrifuge, seeing as the 3.5m one is already enormous!

4 hours ago, Chakkoty said:

@Nertea I took a cheeky peek at the english localisation file and saw that (for a while now) you included some planned 5m parts, namely the 

- SDV-2 'Atlas' Deep Space Habitation Module

- SDV-3 'Minerva' Deep Space Control Module

- SDV-1 'Leto' Deep Space Logistics Module

and the

Since you are currently quite busy with stuff like Kerbal Atomics and CryoEngines (I think), I don't expect to see any updates on that soon. However, since you based a lot of stuff in SSPX and NF parts on existing concepts...what are the inspirations for these four?

I'm especially curious about the centrifuge, seeing as the 3.5m one is already enormous!

I believe the ''Cronus'' could be from a post in Nertea's dev thread, here is a photo that he mensioned:

d9mw5ji-df0dcdbb-293d-4e57-a3ce-d8633809

1 hour ago, Chakkoty said:

-snip-

-snip-

I'm also curious about the ingame requirements for the centrifuge extension... as the 3.5m already requires 3 engineers :D  (not complaining, I like that 'twist' and when I first deployed my Hermes I flew in 3 engineers together with the second fuel tanker just to extend the centrifuge) But hey, not actually asking about it ;)  We will see when the time comes :P But I imagine something like this:

screenshot100.png

Originally posted by Puggonaut :) 

5 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I believe the ''Cronus'' could be from a post in Nertea's dev thread, here is a photo that he mensioned:

-snip-

OMG... that's a beauty... :o

@Nertea

Mind if I suggest a change to the CTT for this mod? I think it would make more sense for the centrifuges to be bumped up a node. The smaller inflatable centrifuges would make more sense, IMO in long term habitation and the larger rigid ones in colonization. Otherwise, the centrifuges fill the same niche and tech level as the smaller, non-centrifuge SSPX parts.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:02 PM, dlrk said:

@Nertea

Mind if I suggest a change to the CTT for this mod? I think it would make more sense for the centrifuges to be bumped up a node. The smaller inflatable centrifuges would make more sense, IMO in long term habitation and the larger rigid ones in colonization. Otherwise, the centrifuges fill the same niche and tech level as the smaller, non-centrifuge SSPX parts.

Ok. Make a PR if you wish it done, I'm going to forget otherwise :P. 

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

Ok. Make a PR if you wish it done, I'm going to forget otherwise :P. 

Sent. Also included a change to material kit requirement for inflatables I had created last May but never PR'd (the MKS patch it alters has been unchaged in the mean time).

On 8/7/2020 at 3:54 AM, GigFiz said:

Fair enough. Thinking about it, the reason I went here was that I was making a station that size with a bunch of your station parts and it was the one thing that wasn't fitting in.  Also, what I had in my head was essentially a PPD-TRUSS or PTD-C from this mod or the ECR bays from NFLV, just sized to 3.75.

A little late and probably off-base as if you were already running tweakscale you'd know it, but you can tweak the stock service bay to scale it.  It is not the more attractive thing, but it has the beauty of functionality.  The texture is ok, but I really wish I could give it another color most times. What I'd like to see is procedural service bay so height as well as width could be adjusted

Edited by darthgently

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to request a new part, or if it exists a shove in the right direction.

What I would like is a small MPL in the 125 size and style. basically the same as the "Pier" but make it a mobile processing lab.   in the small size i would assume it only holds a single kerbal, so it will generate science at half the rate of the bigger one.  A new mesh would be cool, but even just reusing the pier or the crew tube or something would be fine.   

I find myself making "Micro Stations"  lately,  and  thus I use the 125 size almost exclusively.

2 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I would like to request a new part, or if it exists a shove in the right direction.

What I would like is a small MPL in the 125 size and style. basically the same as the "Pier" but make it a mobile processing lab.   in the small size i would assume it only holds a single kerbal, so it will generate science at half the rate of the bigger one.  A new mesh would be cool, but even just reusing the pier or the crew tube or something would be fine.   

I find myself making "Micro Stations"  lately,  and  thus I use the 125 size almost exclusively.

@Bit Fiddler, I don't know if a particular part exists in a mod somewhere, but you can add that capacity yourself to a part such as the PTD-6 Star Utility Module that you would like to use as a mobile processing lab.  The values are taken from the stock lab, but it should be documented well enough to change the options to have research take longer.  

Spoiler

@PART[sspx-utility-125-1] // PTD-6 'Star' Utility Module
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceLab
		containerModuleIndex = 0
		dataStorage = 750
		crewsRequired = 1
		canResetConnectedModules = True
		canResetNearbyModules = True
		interactionRange = 5
		SurfaceBonus = 0.1
		ContextBonus = 0.25
		homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
		RESOURCE_PROCESS
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			amount = 10
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceConverter
		dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
		scientistBonus = 0.25	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
		researchTime = 7	    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
		scienceMultiplier = 5	//How much science does data turn into?
		scienceCap = 500	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?		
		powerRequirement = 5	//EC/Sec to research
		ConverterName = #autoLOC_502055 //#autoLOC_502055 = Research
		StartActionName = #autoLOC_502056 //#autoLOC_502056 = Start Research
		StopActionName = #autoLOC_502057 //#autoLOC_502057 = Stop Research
	}
}

Edited by hemeac

@hemeac I have not tried that kind of part-config change (adding a wholly new functionality) but I did tweak my 2.5M ISRU to also produce Xenon from ore, just with even less efficiency/speed than it does for monopropellant, because I wanted Xenon production capabilities off-world, and it was basically as easy as copy-pasting from the Monoprop portion and giving it proper resource named/ratios and the new button appeared in-game, creating Xenon from ore, so I imagine @Bit Fiddler shouldn’t have too much trouble with your instructions :-)

17 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I use the small lab from Knes. It's based off the Mk 1 crew cabin, and pretty cleverly modified to reuse a lot of it's internals and externals while still being visually distinct. Just be aware that Knes is a pretty large mod with a lot of other parts.

oh you all misunderstand.  I have created my own single seat MPL part.  i am just suggesting he add it to the mod as a standard part as it is a very common part to want on a station, and that is what this mod is all about.

@Nertea on this topic can I use your texture of the white "padded" surface so I can make parts match this mod's style?  And if so, can you point me to a plain square of this with no other detailing on it.