[1.12] Stockalike Station Parts Redux (June 12, 2022)

Nertea

18 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Using CLS you have to be careful with surface attached connections.  The structural nodes your docking ports are connected to on the central station are probably surface attached and not allowing Kerbals to pass.  Typically you have to manually allow surface attachments to be passable in the VAB.   After launch I've had to edit my save file by hand to fix this when I've forgotten.   You have to first find you vessel in the save, then the problem parts and reset a logical from false to true, but make a copy of your save file before you attempt this.

While CLS was in limbo before being adopted in March I gave up on it.  It's good for forcing you to think logically about how your Kerbals would move through a vessels, but it is kind of a nuisance to deal with all its quirks.  After not having a working version  for a while I found I didn't miss the little hassles like forgetting to enable a suface attachments between two otherwise passable parts and always needing to open docking ports.  I still design stations as if I had CLS installed but don't think I'll ever use it again.

You are a damn genius. I went to the save file and switched all the docking ports on this vessel to "true" for being surface passable, and the habitation pods or control pods (because the names are not exact matches so it was really hard to find the exact part i was looking for) and poof. Dotty has joined her colleagues. No longer does she need to get vaporized in orbit to free up that docking port. THANK YOU.

edit: wait... something happened. Might not have worked yet I might have selected the wrong pod. 

edit2: Ok. You are a damn genius redux. Either I clicked on the wrong pod earlier, or something glitched and she went back to being unmovable, but I went back to the save file and did it again and it worked. She's saved!

edit3: so yeah, she really likes that pod and will automatically snap back into it when she's on the station for some reason but I've gotten her back to earth now, so hopefully all my worries are behind us. 

Edited by theicon32

On 5/30/2020 at 6:03 PM, Tonka Crash said:

Using CLS you have to be careful with surface attached connections.  The structural nodes your docking ports are connected to on the central station are probably surface attached and not allowing Kerbals to pass.  Typically you have to manually allow surface attachments to be passable in the VAB.   After launch I've had to edit my save file by hand to fix this when I've forgotten.   You have to first find you vessel in the save, then the problem parts and reset a logical from false to true, but make a copy of your save file before you attempt this.

While CLS was in limbo before being adopted in March I gave up on it.  It's good for forcing you to think logically about how your Kerbals would move through a vessels, but it is kind of a nuisance to deal with all its quirks.  After not having a working version  for a while I found I didn't miss the little hassles like forgetting to enable a suface attachments between two otherwise passable parts and always needing to open docking ports.  I still design stations as if I had CLS installed but don't think I'll ever use it again.

Mate, you are a prophet. Another day, another kerbal trapped by illogical Connected Living Space crap. This time I know I didn't surface attach any docking ports, yet I have the same issue with another SSPX part. One of the adapters. CLS has decided to not recognize it as a habitable part and so I have to EVA my kerbals to get them to the lab it's attached to. Think I'm going to go back and figure out which mod wanted me to install it and see if I can do without.

On 5/28/2020 at 4:38 AM, T.Lago said:

KSP191.jpg

Using CKAN I uninstalled both and then reinstalled B9 which suggested SSPX so both were reinstalled fine.

KSP.log is not updated, I still had it running, so it is updated now - duh, but I don't know what I'm looking at so I still really don't know anything but that window.

I have the exact same issue, and it's really beginning to annoy me. This mod is the only one that somehow screws up B9. Downloaded the latest B9, used the inlcuded one, and they all screw up.

Just now, MerlinsMaster said:

So how well do those self-leveling base frames work?  I'm concerned they might be kraken bait.  Can anyone tell me what kind of luck they've had?

Whenever I use them, they work pretty well, but they do sorta glitch out in time warp.

1 minute ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Whenever I use them, they work pretty well, but they do sorta glitch out in time warp.

Ahh, good to know.  Just saw a review of this and it looks great.  Definitely going to have to try it.  Thanks.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, Nertea said:

I really can't do anything without appropriate bug report items. I don't see a log, modlist, reproduction steps, etc. 

Allow me
Issue:
p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5
Mod List:
B9 Part Switch
Community Category Kit
Community Tech Tree
Extraplanetary Launchpads <=== This one is the problem mod
Kerbal Inventory System
Module Manager
Near Future IVA Props
SSPXr

Reproduction Steps: Have SSPXr and Extraplanetary Launchpads (plus all dependencies) installed and try to launch KSP. Fatal Error kicks in during the initial load process.

KSP Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cgx6gxypxtva40/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by EvilGenius97

On 5/31/2020 at 12:07 PM, theicon32 said:

You are a damn genius. I went to the save file and switched all the docking ports on this vessel to "true" for being surface passable, and the habitation pods or control pods (because the names are not exact matches so it was really hard to find the exact part i was looking for) and poof. Dotty has joined her colleagues. No longer does she need to get vaporized in orbit to free up that docking port. THANK YOU.

CLS recently had a bunch of updates that fixed a lot of the recent issues - so if it's not up to date, updating it might prevent this in the future. There are other mods that work with CLS that modify its behavior, and that might also have helped cause the issue. Presuming you decide to keep using CLS.

Regarding the surface attach issue @Tonka Crash mentioned, I've had that problem before, and to prevent surface attach of certain nodes, I will rotate my view of the "being attached to" part so that I bring in the part to be attached from the "side", so it snaps into place. "Snap" with no movement is a node attachment, being able to "drift" the part around with the mouse when attaching is a clear indication of mounting in surface attachment mode.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:17 PM, EvilGenius97 said:

Allow me
Issue:
p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5
Mod List:
B9 Part Switch
Community Category Kit
Community Tech Tree
Extraplanetary Launchpads <=== This one is the problem mod
Kerbal Inventory System
Module Manager
Near Future IVA Props
SSPXr

Reproduction Steps: Have SSPXr and Extraplanetary Launchpads (plus all dependencies) installed and try to launch KSP. Fatal Error kicks in during the initial load process.

KSP Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cgx6gxypxtva40/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks! I will have a look into this, it would be nice if you could provide the Module Manager cache file as well. 

Nertea,

Since I am no longer the only case and have solved my problem, I thought I might add a point.  Obviously my logs are now of no use, but I think that I can say that attempts to fix the issue were thwarted by remnants of a mod left behind in the gamedata directory.  Some mod left behind enough that it was detected as installed by B9 and then somehow SSPX gets blamed.  Along the way, as I uninstalled mods, I was able to get the error message changed from SSPXRocketParts to SCRocketParts but still the same "crash".

I believe that the offending mod at least had something to do with launch pads, but I do not think that I ever had Extraplanetary Launchpads installed.  I do think that I had AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads perhaps.  Sorry that I was not able to note more carefully - and honestly there were quite a number of "dead" directories left behind after CKAN uninstalls - presumably to preserve user settings.  Nonetheless, I think that it was the one that I noted to be launchpad related.

In any case, it is obviously not a SSPX issue, exactly.

1 hour ago, T.Lago said:

Nertea,

Since I am no longer the only case and have solved my problem, I thought I might add a point.  Obviously my logs are now of no use, but I think that I can say that attempts to fix the issue were thwarted by remnants of a mod left behind in the gamedata directory.  Some mod left behind enough that it was detected as installed by B9 and then somehow SSPX gets blamed.  Along the way, as I uninstalled mods, I was able to get the error message changed from SSPXRocketParts to SCRocketParts but still the same "crash".

I believe that the offending mod at least had something to do with launch pads, but I do not think that I ever had Extraplanetary Launchpads installed.  I do think that I had AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads perhaps.  Sorry that I was not able to note more carefully - and honestly there were quite a number of "dead" directories left behind after CKAN uninstalls - presumably to preserve user settings.  Nonetheless, I think that it was the one that I noted to be launchpad related.

In any case, it is obviously not a SSPX issue, exactly.

Um, first off, I know I'm not Nertea

Second off, I made sure to do a clean mod install and cleared out my gamedata directory entirely before I started loading the mods back in. I've never had the other LaunchPad mod you named installed, and the error only showed up for me upon installing Extraplanetary Launchpads... I think you may have been dealing with multiple mod conflicts?

Hmm, well I hope it is obvious that I could be mistaken about having at some point clicked Extraplanetary Launchpads. 

As to whether it might be multiple - who knows, but I have replaced everything that I could think of and the problem has not returned.  It seems to be related to something that I am not currently interested in but I have a ton of mods installed now and all is fine.

edit: Including SSPX installed

Edited by T.Lago

On 6/10/2020 at 2:38 AM, Chemical Factory said:

@Nertea Hello, I made a localization cfg file for Japanese. If you do not mind, could you add this to SSPX officially?

Please submit it as a pull request on GitHub and it will make it into the next release

1 hour ago, siklidkid said:

My game keeps getting errors with B9 Part switch, i have the near future tech mods installed and when i remove b9 the game crashes after loading.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, EvilGenius97 said:

@Nertea there's a new development with the error. I'm not sure if this is gonna make things easier or harder, but having the Community Resource Pack installed prevents the error. Just thought you'd like to know.

This helped me track down the issue, thanks!

SSPX 1.3.5

• Fixed an issue where EPL being installed without CRP would cause the game to complain
  • Adjusted some manufacturer names.

16 hours ago, Nertea said:

Please submit it as a pull request on GitHub and it will make it into the next release

This helped me track down the issue, thanks!

SSPX 1.3.5

• Fixed an issue where EPL being installed without CRP would cause the game to complain
  • Adjusted some manufacturer names.

yeah i fixed it, so the crash had nothing to do with my game, and was just disk space. i fixed the b9 thing too.

1 hour ago, supreme_spastic69 said:

EVERYONE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS MOD IT WILL DELETE YOUR CRAFTS AND RESET YOUR SAVE AND GIVE YOU A POPUP THAT YOU CANT CLOSE THIS MOD IS FAKE

Considering I am currently using this mod to build a really nice Station, along with the other 59 pages of the thread stating how it works, I think you might be mistaken. 

Most likely you have installed it wrong, and inadvertently borked your install. 

Please show a little respect to the mod writers who make these mods in their own time, for no pay.   The first post in the thread usually has troubleshooting guides and how to request help with fixing any errors you have.  

This might get you started in the right direction:

On 6/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, Probro said:

EVERYONE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS MOD IT WILL DELETE YOUR CRAFTS AND RESET YOUR SAVE AND GIVE YOU A POPUP THAT YOU CANT CLOSE THIS MOD IS FAKE

Really I disagree, I did not seem to have any problems with it at all,  I built a very nice Mun Base

JCuAeDg.png

Edited by Virtualgenius

On 6/16/2020 at 2:20 AM, Gargamel said:

Considering I am currently using this mod to build a really nice Station, along with the other 59 pages of the thread stating how it works, I think you might be mistaken. 

Most likely you have installed it wrong, and inadvertently borked your install. 

Please show a little respect to the mod writers who make these mods in their own time, for no pay.   The first post in the thread usually has troubleshooting guides and how to request help with fixing any errors you have.  

This might get you started in the right direction:

How can we know that that guy spitting in caps locks isn't just a bot infiltrating the forum?