[1.12] Stockalike Station Parts Redux (June 12, 2022)

Nertea

First things first: This is a fantastic mod and an absolute essential for me. Thanks for making it! Brilliant stuff!

Onto my issue. I just updated my KSP from 1.5.1 to 1.6.1. And resultingly I then updated both this mod and MKS to the latest 1.6.* tokened versions (via CKAN). Of note is that RoverDude released said latest version of MKS *today*.

After that change, my hydroponics, aquaculture etc modules on my space stations are broken and no longer produce supplies (the whole crew of my huge Kerbal International Space Station has gone grouchy as a result - and it's not pretty, it's like the gilet jeunes protest, but in space).

While I cannot exclude that some of my Kerbals may be Krench (that's from Krance, the country on Kerbin best known for cheese and going on strike), I note that also in the VAB the "resource converter" function no longer appears for these parts in the right click info menu. On the other hand, all MKS nom-o-matics have the resource converter well there and seem to work fine.

Just wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone could point me to a solution - before my 18 striking Kerbals throw molotovs in the space station, or something,

Thanks!

Edited by liTWave

9 minutes ago, liTWave said:

After that change, my hydroponics, aquaculture etc modules on my space stations are broken and no longer produce supplies (the whole crew of my huge Kerbal International Space Station has gone grouchy as a result - and it's not pretty, it's like the gilet jeunes protest, but in space).

While I cannot exclude that some of my Kerbals may be Krench (that's from Krance, the country on Kerbin best known for cheese and going on strike), I note that also in the VAB the "resource converter" function no longer appears for these parts in the right click info menu. On the other hand, all MKS nom-o-matics have the resource converter well there and seem to work fine.

This was fixed in dev 2 days ago and Nertea has said it will be included in the next release. In the meantime if you can't wait, download this file and replace the existing one in your GameData folder with it (or copy and paste it's contents).

34 minutes ago, ColdWindPhoenix said:

Hello, I'm trying to install this mod, but it keeps crashing during the loading screen. I have tried installing with CKAN and manually. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what... Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

A good start would be to do a second install of KSP and try installing only SSPRX and it's dependencies - see if it runs that way. If it does, then there's probably a conflict with another mod. Try adding your other mods to that new install until you find the one that causes the crash.

Once you've figured that out let the forum know which one is conflicting and maybe one of us can point you in the right direction

Hey folks. I spent my snowed in day revisiting USI-LS balance for SSPXR. I found that the current user-supplied config  posted on Git has some pretty high costs and benefits - large rotating rings cost almost as much power to run as an ISRU and allow Kerbals to live for decades if not centuries. Since this mod is "Near Future" and not "Far Future" I tried to reduce power costs and shorten habitation times as may occur in the near future

Key points:

• Kerbals should be able to live for a few months on small stations, years on interplanetary ships and maybe a few decades at most on larger stations - 100 years is possible, but would take a really mammoth station.
  • Power requirements for living quarters - even rotating habitats - shouldn't be that high. It's not very energy intensive to spin or heat a rotating hab. The challenge is unlocking the tech, then getting it into space and assembled into a station. 
  • Recycling - low efficiency recycling is common. More efficient recycling is left to labs and dedicated recycling modules.

Two pictures below:

1. a small 1.25m station - similar to early Salyut stations - capable of supporting a crew of 2-3 for a couple of months without resupply
  2. a 3.75m interplanetary ship - similar in size to Hermes from The Martian - capable of supporting a crew of 6 for about 7 years

I'm looking for feedback - Does this feel about right? Do people prefer this or do you like the decade/centuries balance of the former config file?

@Boamere I know you just did a lot of work updating the old config to new USI-LS...that saved me a lot of time, thanks! I'm very interested in your take on this.

JYKL2ZX.png

JMuUPeJ.png

Edited by Tyko

On 2/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, Tyko said:

I'm looking for feedback - Does this feel about right? Do people prefer this or do you like the decade/centuries balance of the former config file?

Yes, I certainly agree with your approach. I'd be happy to have this balanced config file.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, traisjames said:

What is Supplies in the Hydroponics?  I am going thru them so fast

do you mean the Supplies units in a Hydroponics module? If so, they're the same as Supplies storage anywhere else. The hydroponics module can convert Mulch + Fertilizer + EC back into more Supplies.

This is really a discussion for the USI-LS forum, but you might want to start by reading up on the USI-LS wiki   

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/wiki

@Tyko Did you come up with a spreadsheet for your rebalance that you could post and share? I don't use this mod as it's not stockalike enough for me. But I do use Nertea's old retired Stockalike Station Parts Expansion and many of the parts are similar. It needs a USI-LS update that I just haven't gotten around to yet. 

9 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Tyko Did you come up with a spreadsheet for your rebalance that you could post and share? I don't use this mod as it's not stockalike enough for me. But I do use Nertea's old retired Stockalike Station Parts Expansion and many of the parts are similar. It needs a USI-LS update that I just haven't gotten around to yet. 

Sure, I'll give it a once-over this weekend and share it with you. The disclaimer is that i'm not 'publishing" this, but rather sharing it with others who want to try it out. If there's broad support I may consider doing an actual release.

6 hours ago, Tyko said:

do you mean the Supplies units in a Hydroponics module? If so, they're the same as Supplies storage anywhere else. The hydroponics module can convert Mulch + Fertilizer + EC back into more Supplies.

This is really a discussion for the USI-LS forum, but you might want to start by reading up on the USI-LS wiki   

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/wiki

Yes.  So should I disable this since I have Kerbilizm and food as a seperate resource?

7 minutes ago, traisjames said:

Yes.  So should I disable this since I have Kerbilizm and food as a seperate resource?

Are you using Kerbalism or USI-LS? Supplies is a USI-LS resource. I don't think Kerbalism even uses them. Not sure though. If you want to use Kerbalism you'd be better off asking on the Kerbalism forum page. I dont use it and don't know much about it

Just now, Tyko said:

Are you using Kerbalism or USI-LS? Supplies is a USI-LS resource. I don't think Kerbalism even uses them. Not sure though. If you want to use Kerbalism you'd be better off asking on the Kerbalism forum page. I dont use it and don't know much about it

I appear to have USI, Kerbalism, and TAC LS.  I saw supplies on the Stockalike Greenhouse and so thought that was where I needed to go.

Just now, traisjames said:

I appear to have USI, Kerbalism, and TAC LS.  I saw supplies on the Stockalike Greenhouse and so thought that was where I needed to go.

You have all 3 installed. Well there's your problem...they all offer different ways to handle life support, but they're not really intended to work together. Each of those will trigger patches in other mods. If you have them all installed you'll trigger lots of patches and who knows what would happen.

Why do you want all 3?

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

You have all 3 installed. Well there's your problem...they all offer different ways to handle life support, but they're not really intended to work together. Each of those will trigger patches in other mods. If you have them all installed you'll trigger lots of patches and who knows what would happen.

Why do you want all 3?

That is what I am trying to figure out.  I know I want Kerbalism but also the parts from USI

2 minutes ago, traisjames said:

That is what I am trying to figure out.  I know I want Kerbalism but also the parts from USI

If you're just starting out I'd suggest picking the one you like best and removing the other two. If you're really experienced with KSP you might find ways to adapt the parts, but there's a lot to it.

Are the  medium-sized cylindrical hab modules, inflatables, and the smaller centrifuges all supposed to be in the same tech node with CTT? Inflatables seem like they should be in a higher the node, as should centrifuges. More or less, I would move everything right a node.

EDIT: Making my own modified CFG, will post here when I'm done in case anyone wants it, or Nertea likes it better than default.

EDIT2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjnad84302ggyh6/SSPXR-CTT.cfg?dl=0
I moved the smaller centrifuges to Long Term Habitation (since long term habitation is where there is a need for artificial gravity, and there should be a greater tech requirement for centrifuges versus present-day type space stations). Similarly, I moved the 3.75m centrifuges to colonization, and the 3.75m aqualculture and green house to colonization.

Edited by dlrk

On 2/22/2019 at 9:39 AM, Tonka Crash said:

I totally got sidetracked on another project. Haven't forgotten this. I'll try to get to it tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

@Nertea

Love your mods and have most all of them installed. One minor issue however...

Whenever i use one of the command module such as the PPD-8 "Wharf" station core, I have one hell of a time figuring out which way is forwards, Granted the PPD-8 has windows but often their locations don't reflect in the ship or stations behavior. Case in point, I build up an add-on for an existing station and attempt to launch it from the pad. Only to discover that for the Navball Up is now Down. Worse yet once in orbit the crafts orientation can be off by 90 degrees CW / CCW. Which makes it pretty difficult to maneuver or line up for Nav-points .

Obviously via trial and error I was able to sort most of this out. Yet this makes me think that there should be some form of markings denoting the facing of each object. *** This would be especially helpful for Docking ports ***

Thanks in advance!

-Redacted