[1.12] Stockalike Station Parts Redux (June 12, 2022)

Nertea

On 4/23/2019 at 2:38 PM, Nertea said:

SSPXr 1.2.0

• Fixed collider inconsistency on 1.25m Utility module 

Hey @Nertea, could this explain why my little space station explodes on loading? I have this part and since I updated the mod, I can't load my station. F3 only gives me a couple items colliding together (like a docking port and an adapter, not the Utility module) and there are only a couple of floating debris left (a probe core and a Spark engine last time I tried). And 4 MIA Kerbals.

I think I stuck airlocks, radial access tubes and a KIS crate to this particular module (from memory, I'm currently at work, hardly working). Also a 1.25 Station Core and a 1.25 Hab on each node.

I'll try reverting this part in my game tonight see if it works.

Edited by ioresult
couldn't add new lines on original, tried ctrl-enter and it published

On 4/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, ioresult said:

Hey @Nertea, could this explain why my little space station explodes on loading? I have this part and since I updated the mod, I can't load my station. F3 only gives me a couple items colliding together (like a docking port and an adapter, not the Utility module) and there are only a couple of floating debris left (a probe core and a Spark engine last time I tried). And 4 MIA Kerbals.

I think I stuck airlocks, radial access tubes and a KIS crate to this particular module (from memory, I'm currently at work, hardly working). Also a 1.25 Station Core and a 1.25 Hab on each node.

I'll try reverting this part in my game tonight see if it works.

It seems unlikely that this did anything - the change is to two of the four side 'lobe' colliders - they were a bit far 'up' which would result in invisible collision meshes around the small protruding spheres at the end of the lobes. The other two lobes were fine so they were made the same height. 

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

It seems unlikely that this did anything - the change is to two of the four side 'lobe' colliders - they were a bit far 'up' which would result in invisible collision meshes around the small protruding spheres at the end of the lobes. The other two lobes were fine so they were made the same height. 

Still, I reverted the following line from sspx-hub-125-1.cfg:

node_stack_top03 = -0.214, -0.1448, 0, -0.5, 0.86602540378, 0, 1

to its previous state:

node_stack_top03 = -0.1448, -0.2106, 0, -0.5, 0.86602540378, 0, 1

And lo and behold, my station doesn't explode on loading anymore.

19 minutes ago, ioresult said:

Still, I reverted the following line from sspx-hub-125-1.cfg:

node_stack_top03 = -0.214, -0.1448, 0, -0.5, 0.86602540378, 0, 1

to its previous state:

node_stack_top03 = -0.1448, -0.2106, 0, -0.5, 0.86602540378, 0, 1

And lo and behold, my station doesn't explode on loading anymore.

Oh hmm. I missed that one in the changelog - there was an issue with the angled 30 degree version of that part where the node was in the wrong location (caused clipping when attached). Were you using the 30 degree one?

Edited by Nertea

11 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Oh hmm. I missed that one in the changelog - there was an issue with the angled 30 degree version of that part where the node was in the wrong location (caused clipping when attached). Were you using the 30 degree one?

NEVER MIND! I was confused about the 30 degrees part. No I haven't even unlocked this part yet. So it was probably a random kraken glitch that exploded my station and after editing that part it didn't happen. I mismatched the name. I thought the hub was the PTD-6 Star module.

Sorry about the confusion. Never mind. Move along, nothing to see here.

I seem to be having a problem with the station parts of this mod, being unable to select parts to move kerbals between. I've since done some testing with putting my space station in space with different configurations, and lesser parts.

Putting up a station with this mods parts, stock with nothing externally works perfectly. However as I add lights, struts, and external parts, it becomes to have problems selecting the base part itself only while transfering kerbals between the pieces.

Since "Connected Living Spaces" doesn't seem to be working anymore, I have no clue how to fix the problem besides not adding anything external to the parts.

Here's a picture reference of what I'm speaking about.

3DF719319FFFF0833AEEA5CB967AEC1FA7C0243E

Moving a kerbal from the far right red station core.

I cannot select the middle blue piece. The only parts I have on it are a few external light pieces, yet I cannot for the life of me get it to be selected as a piece to move a kerbal too (Even though I can select the piece normally and without problems while not transfering a kerbal).

THe far left escape hatch I can select without problems, and it has nothing externally on it.

However if I remove the light fixtures from the middle blue piece, I can select it normally while transfering kerbals. I installed Hyper Edit specifically to test this problem by putting several different re organized parts into space, and it seems to be without fail, anytime I have an external part that numbers more than 2 on the outside, I cannot select it.

Edited by LadyAthena

@LadyAthena I've had that problem too, but it only seems to show up if I try to transfer crew via the button in the PAW. A workaround for the parts with hatches (some SSPXR parts don't have hatches so it won't work with those) is to click on the hatch and transfer crew from there.

But let's ping @Nertea and see if he can figure out a proper fix.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

12 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@LadyAthena I've had that problem too, but it only seems to show up if I try to transfer crew via the button in the PAW. A workaround for the parts with hatches (some SSPXR parts don't have hatches so it won't work with those) is to click on the hatch and transfer crew from there.

But let's ping @Nertea and see if he can figure out a proper fix.

Yea upon further testing as well some parts just randomly decide "nope" and wont let me select them even when I have nothing on my station.

The only workaround I can find is to have someone always hanging out in the external hatch piece so I can move my scientist out to collect science, or mechanic out, etc. Problem with this though is some mods require multipel kerbals outside at once, which then wraps around to the issue again, or if I need a diff type of kerbal outside. THen of course moving 2 back inside is yet another problem of not being able to switch them to another part 9/10 times.

@Nertea I may just have to shelf this mod unfortunately until a fix is placed, since I often play with colonization, life support, and other mods that require kerbals to be able to move freely in and out, and between pieces. Though I love the mod and everything done with it, it's quite literally the definition of unplayable in conjunction with certain other mods as I described.

Edit: I only installed the mod for Progressive colonization system mod, which requires it. Not sure if that was a problem though.

Edited by LadyAthena

You could try using Ship Manifest, which lets you move Kerbals around without using the PAW.  It's particularly useful for low FPS situations (large stations) where the stock crew transfer mechanic can be unresponsive.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

You could try using Ship Manifest, which lets you move Kerbals around without using the PAW.  It's particularly useful for low FPS situations (large stations) where the stock crew transfer mechanic can be unresponsive.

Thank you, I didn't know about this mod :)

On 5/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, LadyAthena said:

Putting up a station with this mods parts, stock with nothing externally works perfectly. However as I add lights, struts, and external parts, it becomes to have problems selecting the base part itself only while transfering kerbals between the pieces.

Since "Connected Living Spaces" doesn't seem to be working anymore, I have no clue how to fix the problem besides not adding anything external to the parts.

However if I remove the light fixtures from the middle blue piece, I can select it normally while transfering kerbals. I installed Hyper Edit specifically to test this problem by putting several different re organized parts into space, and it seems to be without fail, anytime I have an external part that numbers more than 2 on the outside, I cannot select it.

I've had the same problems, but:

1-Connected living space has an option that disables it on the fly so you can move your kerbals anywhere in the station without regards to parts connected or not.

2-In the CLS config, you can activate optional VAB PAW buttons with which you can activate "surface passable" or something. Haven't tested that option yet. Will do soon.

3-No need for Hyper Edit when you have the built-in alt-f12 cheat that lets you put anything in orbit from the launch pad.

1 hour ago, ioresult said:

I've had the same problems, but:

1-Connected living space has an option that disables it on the fly so you can move your kerbals anywhere in the station without regards to parts connected or not.

2-In the CLS config, you can activate optional VAB PAW buttons with which you can activate "surface passable" or something. Haven't tested that option yet. Will do soon.

3-No need for Hyper Edit when you have the built-in alt-f12 cheat that lets you put anything in orbit from the launch pad.

I completely forgot about the alt f12. I thought they disabled that at launch. I'm going to uninstall Hyper edit as it's like a bad influence to make me do things cheaply lol.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, LadyAthena said:

I seem to be having a problem with the station parts of this mod, being unable to select parts to move kerbals between. I've since done some testing with putting my space station in space with different configurations, and lesser parts.

Here's a picture reference of what I'm speaking about.

Moving a kerbal from the far right red station core.

I cannot select the middle blue piece. The only parts I have on it are a few external light pieces, yet I cannot for the life of me get it to be selected as a piece to move a kerbal too (Even though I can select the piece normally and without problems while not transfering a kerbal).

THe far left escape hatch I can select without problems, and it has nothing externally on it.

Ok so let me try to summarize this behaviour:

• Crew transfer via the PAW has an issue
  • When a transfer is started, parts that have other parts surface attached to them cannot be selected as the transfer target

If this is right, I have questions:

• Is this new behaviour (1.7?)
  • Does this only apply to 1.25m parts? Specific parts? All parts?
  • Are added parts blocking? IE does this happen when parts added are on one side, both sides, etc of the part?

Basically haven't seen this at all before and need to understand what's going on it more detail. 

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

Ok so let me try to summarize this behaviour:

• Crew transfer via the PAW has an issue
  • When a transfer is started, parts that have other parts surface attached to them cannot be selected as the transfer target

If this is right, I have questions:

• Is this new behaviour (1.7?)
  • Does this only apply to 1.25m parts? Specific parts? All parts?
  • Are added parts blocking? IE does this happen when parts added are on one side, both sides, etc of the part?

Basically haven't seen this at all before and need to understand what's going on it more detail. 

The summary is correct.

- I do not know if this is new behavior, as I've only just reinstalled the game after not playing since 1.4, I didn't have the mod back then either.

- This seems to apply to all parts.

- When it happens seems to be slightly random, but it can happen with just 1 or more parts added. Seems the larger sections can have 2-3 parts on it externally before the PAW breaks.

@Nertea Just a quick clarification question if I may, and you'll indulge me, is the visual observation science option supposed to be available just landed on kerbin or anywhere? It struck me as odd, I suppose since I view this as a space station parts mod, but since there's no reason it can't be used to make planetary bases, I suppose there's no reason the 'experiment' can't be run on the ground. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. I do that a lot. I was curious, thought I'd ask. Thanks for your time, sorry I started rambling.

J094vf8.jpg

8 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Made with 95% SSPE, with a side of BDB, MOLE and a few other assorted mods.

It provides continuous living space for fourteen Kerbals / Gaelans with all required facilities.

Cool, what are the parts sticking out of the bottom vertically and horizontally?

Edited by Brigadier

23 hours ago, LadyAthena said:

The summary is correct.

- I do not know if this is new behavior, as I've only just reinstalled the game after not playing since 1.4, I didn't have the mod back then either.

- This seems to apply to all parts.

- When it happens seems to be slightly random, but it can happen with just 1 or more parts added. Seems the larger sections can have 2-3 parts on it externally before the PAW breaks.

I could not replicate this at all in today's testing. Here is what I used - includes one command module of each size class, plus a big stack of batteries, RCS jets and solar panels stuck all over. 

rVUi5DG.png

There are up to 12 or so radially attached parts on each part of this test ship. I was able to transfer the crew between any of the modules with no issues. Is there a chance you can provide me with a fairly barebones (no other mods needed) vessel for me to test on my system?

13 hours ago, vardicd said:

@Nertea Just a quick clarification question if I may, and you'll indulge me, is the visual observation science option supposed to be available just landed on kerbin or anywhere? It struck me as odd, I suppose since I view this as a space station parts mod, but since there's no reason it can't be used to make planetary bases, I suppose there's no reason the 'experiment' can't be run on the ground. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. I do that a lot. I was curious, thought I'd ask. Thanks for your time, sorry I started rambling.

Yes, I figure you can look out the window anywhere...