Nertea

[1.7.x] Stockalike Station Parts Redux (May 21st)

Recommended Posts

blackrack and I are aware of the issue and discussing it in the Scatterer thread.  I think any additional reports are redundant at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nertea Fantastic work on this, I really love using this part pack.  Gives my stations new life.

One questions, and as I'm learning about how mods work and interact with each other I'm guessing the answer will be no or a lot of work on my end but I figure I would ask anyways.  In an effort to improve my overall performance I really need to be bringing down my part counts and just stumbled across Weld a few days ago and its helped me out significantly with respect to frame rates.  I don't know if there is much more I can do from a hardware perspective (4xSSD in RAID-10 array, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB RAM and an i7-4790K @4.0GHz), so when things slog down I really need to be reducing part counts (also running a heavily modded 1.4.2 KSP).

So, the issue here is that the station parts would be a perfect candidate for welding, however the B9 switcher for the upper/lower sections of a part either weld missing, with visible gaps in the station, or all options try and display and z-fight with each other.  I tried to take a look myself at the config files and while I think I have some ideas I thoughts I would ask here as well.  I guess the simplest would be to rip out B9 from my local copy of station parts?  Don't get me wrong, I love having the option, but if I can drop my station part count from >200 to <40 that makes it an attractive idea.  Or somehow have a version which does not have the option to pick the trims?  Or somehow have a default option so if you don't have B9 it will simply show the default and if you have B9 then it will overlay ontop?

The last would seem ideal because it would actually remove the dependency on B9 and open up options for welding.  Or even an option to disable B9 options for this mod itself.

Sorry, went in a few different directions there, but hopefully someone here can provide some direction.

Edited by Soylent_keen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 2:20 PM, Virtualgenius said:

Is there a hatch component that goes with the PTD-8R I keep getting Kerbals stuck in there

Crew.. transfer button?

 

6 hours ago, Soylent_keen said:

So, the issue here is that the station parts would be a perfect candidate for welding, however the B9 switcher for the upper/lower sections of a part either weld missing, with visible gaps in the station, or all options try and display and z-fight with each other.  I tried to take a look myself at the config files and while I think I have some ideas I thoughts I would ask here as well.  I guess the simplest would be to rip out B9 from my local copy of station parts?  Don't get me wrong, I love having the option, but if I can drop my station part count from >200 to <40 that makes it an attractive idea.  Or somehow have a version which does not have the option to pick the trims?  Or somehow have a default option so if you don't have B9 it will simply show the default and if you have B9 then it will overlay ontop?

This will probably cause you some headache to implement. As you might have surmised, the model files contain all the variants which are unhidden and hidden on demand. I can't change that without a fair bit of work on my part.

I can see how you would do it, it wouldn't be super pretty though. First, you'll have to determine what endcap you want on your welded station parts. Go into the config files and determine the names of the transforms for what you want. Typically there are two switchers per part with some exceptions, one for the top and one for the bottom. Also determine the names for what you don't want. You could then remove the B9PartSwitch blocks. Then, make your welded parts... then modify their configs to use B9DisableTransform to hide the subobjects that you don't want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Crew.. transfer button?

 

This will probably cause you some headache to implement. As you might have surmised, the model files contain all the variants which are unhidden and hidden on demand. I can't change that without a fair bit of work on my part.

I can see how you would do it, it wouldn't be super pretty though. First, you'll have to determine what endcap you want on your welded station parts. Go into the config files and determine the names of the transforms for what you want. Typically there are two switchers per part with some exceptions, one for the top and one for the bottom. Also determine the names for what you don't want. You could then remove the B9PartSwitch blocks. Then, make your welded parts... then modify their configs to use B9DisableTransform to hide the subobjects that you don't want. 

Actually, since I posted that this morning I already sussed that out and is exactly what I did.  Once I got the hang of it it wasn't too bad to update the welded parts.  I basically would save the weld off as a sub-assembly and then compare its config file to the welded one and I could see what was missing where and ported it over.  I added what I needed though I didn't consider needing to mark anything as hidden.. I haven't noticed it being an issue for me, but I'm using the stock  trims.

One thing that's still odd that I can't suss out is if I try and weld more than one station part together.  A single station part with any number of other parts is fine.  two or more station parts and wierd things happen, even with corrected config files for the parts.  Either the root part gets flakey (but all other station parts are fine, this was the case with a 2 or 3 long pressurized tube), or if there is a chain of more parts (5 or more), than several parts in the middle either are missing end caps, z-fighting or simple don't render (though their attachment points are there).  I may play around with it a bit more and report back what I find, though it would be super helpful to consider having a 'default' base which doesn't rely on B9 at all.  Would be amazing to build out sprawling stations without hitting FPS issues.

Regardless, amazing mod mate!

Edited by Soylent_keen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting rescue contracts that utilize parts from this pack that don't have hatches, like the 'Star' utility module. It's not really been a problem as I just edit the save game to change it to a command module.

Did I overlook a cfg file or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CRCError1970 said:

I'm getting rescue contracts that utilize parts from this pack that don't have hatches, like the 'Star' utility module. It's not really been a problem as I just edit the save game to change it to a command module.

Did I overlook a cfg file or something?

Stock bug that happens because stock doesn't have any pods without hatches. Use this mod to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Stock bug that happens because stock doesn't have any pods without hatches. Use this mod to fix it.

Right on, thanks much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 2:56 PM, Soylent_keen said:

One thing that's still odd that I can't suss out is if I try and weld more than one station part together.  A single station part with any number of other parts is fine.  two or more station parts and wierd things happen, even with corrected config files for the parts.  Either the root part gets flakey (but all other station parts are fine, this was the case with a 2 or 3 long pressurized tube), or if there is a chain of more parts (5 or more), than several parts in the middle either are missing end caps, z-fighting or simple don't render (though their attachment points are there).  I may play around with it a bit more and report back what I find, though it would be super helpful to consider having a 'default' base which doesn't rely on B9 at all.  Would be amazing to build out sprawling stations without hitting FPS issues.

 

There's a lot of flaky things about the kludge called welding in general. I'll think about it but don't get your hopes up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2018 at 9:21 AM, Nertea said:

SSPXr 1.0.4

  • Fixed missing docking transform on new docking port

For future reference... when I say I'm on an issue like this (twice!), I am very much going to try to get to it as soon as I can. I'll ask for more information as I need it - I just have a full time job and an infant to take care of first. Telling me it's an issue repeatedly isn't going to help.

Thank you for fixing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Nert, hope stuff is going well for you.  I looked back about 6 pages and couldn't find a question or answer with regards to the landing platforms having that really loose node attached issue.  Reminds of the way the Aies landing legs looked like they were attached with rubber bands.  Any ideas from anyone?  Or is this something I have installed that is creating the issue.  None of the other landing legs I have installed are exhibiting the same problem, all very stable node connections.

Thx Nert, loving all the Near Future Packs buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I'm getting a couple errors from ModuleManager upon launching the game related to Kerbalism. I have over 60 mods installed and started with a clean install to determine which one was causing the problem. It's affecting both MKS and StationPartsExpansionRedux mod.

Any idea why?

Is there any way to provide you with a better log?

Thanks for the help.

QPDklyx.jpg

Edited by 1990eam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ArkaelDren said:

Hey Nert, hope stuff is going well for you.  I looked back about 6 pages and couldn't find a question or answer with regards to the landing platforms having that really loose node attached issue.  Reminds of the way the Aies landing legs looked like they were attached with rubber bands.  Any ideas from anyone?  Or is this something I have installed that is creating the issue.  None of the other landing legs I have installed are exhibiting the same problem, all very stable node connections.

 

I've had no reports of this. Can you be more specific?

1 hour ago, 1990eam said:

Hello! I'm getting a couple errors from ModuleManager upon launching the game related to Kerbalism. I have over 60 mods installed and started with a clean install to determine which one was causing the problem. It's affecting both MKS and StationPartsExpansionRedux mod.

 

Kerbalism problems should be taken to the Kerbalism thread for sure, you'll get better support. I don't really provide such support for Kerbalism due to it being a beast with hundreds of tentacles and claws at the end of the tentacles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this on Github? I wanna redownload the 1.3.1 version

Your problem is not Kerbalism 1990eam, it is another mod. I have played with this mod and Kerbalism and had no issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I've had no reports of this. Can you be more specific?

Kerbalism problems should be taken to the Kerbalism thread for sure, you'll get better support. I don't really provide such support for Kerbalism due to it being a beast with hundreds of tentacles and claws at the end of the tentacles. 

 

48 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Is this on Github? I wanna redownload the 1.3.1 version

Your problem is not Kerbalism 1990eam, it is another mod. I have played with this mod and Kerbalism and had no issues

Hey. Just a heads up. I did take the issue to the Kerbalism thread and the modder confirmed that it does not work with MKS and it will work with SSPX in the next iteration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has never worked with mks, it is working with ssprx and has been for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy f**k, the models/textures are amazing! Assembled a station in orbit using only your parts (except girder, solar etc) and it totally amazes me! 

I’m using the white rims and the station looks so clean and realistic with that nice texture, wow!

 

Edit: One thing that bugs me is that i cant put L/OX or monoprop in the storage modules. So much options from various metals to water etc but no LOX/ Monoprop?

Is there a simple way i could i could implement that by changing something in the cfg?

Edited by AlliedForth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another nice thing would be if the handles would actually work and Kerbals could grab them. Is that possible to implement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, Nertea said:

I've had no reports of this. Can you be more specific?

Kerbalism problems should be taken to the Kerbalism thread for sure, you'll get better support. I don't really provide such support for Kerbalism due to it being a beast with hundreds of tentacles and claws at the end of the tentacles. 

Sorry, let me explain.  If you use one of the vertical style landing platforms, the tank/pod exc will slowly move around on top of the platform like its not firmly attached.  The older Aies landing legs did this for a long time, then someone patched them and now they again behave like intended.  Bud I wish I had a vid, or even knew how to show you one once I made it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haz a question!

If the centrifuges and inflatables get EL workshop modules, would that fit SSPXR?
I'd like to suggest a config file, where ProductivityFactor is based on DeployedCrewCapacity (max crew in the part).
I named it "SSPXR-EL-Extras.cfg", placed that inside the Patches subfolder)

Spoiler

//EL workshop Extra patch by LouisCyfer

// math --> ProductivityFactor = DeployedCrewCapacity/2
// because more crew capacity has more productivity potencial

// for inflatable hab's
@PART[sspx-inflatable-hab-*]:NEEDS[Launchpad]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ELWorkshop
		ProductivityFactor = #$../MODULE[ModuleDeployableHabitat]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
		@ProductivityFactor /= 2
	}
}

// for centrifuges
@PART[sspx-inflatable-centrifuge-*,sspx-expandable-centrifuge-*]:NEEDS[Launchpad]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ELWorkshop
		ProductivityFactor = #$../MODULE[ModuleDeployableCentrifuge]/DeployedCrewCapacity$
		@ProductivityFactor /= 2
	}
}

 

Note: This is a quick'n'dirty untested rather tested confg that does an easy math based on DeployedCrewCapacity
DeployedCrewCapacity/2 = ProductivityFactor

math examples:

  • sspx-inflatable-centrifuge-25-1 has DeployedCrewCapacity = 8 --> 8/2 = 4
  • sspx-expandable-centrifuge-375-1 has DeployedCrewCapacity = 14 --> 14/2 = 7

Feedback is always welcome!

EDIT:
I noticed in locations that there are planned 5m expandable parts .. just letting  you know I'm looking forward to them!

Edited by LatiMacciato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey

I must say I am in total love with this mod! Only got it a few days ago but my goodness I did miss out :P

Normally I only install graphical mods (scatterer, distantobjects etc) and never really any feature-adding mods. (ps: I do hope the issue with scatterer will be resolved soon, currently playing without the B9 part switch plugin which keeps me from tweaking some parts)

 

Anyway, I'd like to submit a little bug report:

KSP: 1.4.2 x64

Problem: IVA for the Coriolls missing for a single seat (the 4th)

See these screenshots:
https://ibb.co/jGieOcscreenshot71.png
https://ibb.co/n1XjpH
screenshot72.png

(normally using imgur but it crashes while uploading pictures atm)

Mods installed:

Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux 1.0.4

Module Manager 3.0.6
Scatterer 0.0329
Texture Replacer 2.7.0
Distant Objects 1.9.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator 6.8.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.9.1.0
Kerbal Engineer 1.1.4.10
KSPRescuePodFix 1.3.2.11
Planet Shine 0.2.6.1
Tracking Station Evolved 3.0
Trajectories 2.2.0
Transfer Window Planner 1.6.3.0 

 

Reproduction steps:

Build a craft that contains a Coriolls Inflatable Centrifuge Module and fill it with kerbals. the 4th seat has opaque windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 1:26 PM, AlliedForth said:

Edit: One thing that bugs me is that i cant put L/OX or monoprop in the storage modules. So much options from various metals to water etc but no LOX/ Monoprop?

Is there a simple way i could i could implement that by changing something in the cfg?

These parts are intend to hold industrial cargo and not propellants. Near Future Propulsion, Cryogenic Engines, and Near Future Launch Vehicles will meet your fuel needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

These parts are intend to hold industrial cargo and not propellants. Near Future Propulsion, Cryogenic Engines, and Near Future Launch Vehicles will meet your fuel needs.

Sure there are mods that contain fueltanks, but they dont have the unique texture (that white insulation) that all the parts from this mod have. I’d like to have fuel tanks meeting the theme, so i can build my stations purely out of SSPR textured parts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

coming back to the game for the first time since 1.4, and I just want to say how amazing this round looks, Nertea. I've always enjoyed your mods, but you've really outdone yourself this time. Thanks so much for your work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding work! Mod looks amazing! Easily the best mod for 1.4 and really set the bar for cosmetics!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 10:05 AM, AlliedForth said:

Another nice thing would be if the handles would actually work and Kerbals could grab them. Is that possible to implement?

There's an EVA Handrails mod-- but it would be cool to not have to add *more* parts. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.