Mission Scrubbed!!

The Flying Kerbal

It had been planned down to the last detail... crew trained, an entirely new rocket built... the weather was good, planets aligned... everything was good to go, until... My bleedin' mouse broke down. ;.;;.;;.;  So there's gonna be no KSP until Tuesday, and this particular mission - Project Orthrus - which is to be played in the Demo version won't happen until next Sunday!

In the meantime, having to get through until Tuesday at the earliest before my new mouse arrives, what cures or fixes do you guys have for KSP withdrawal symptoms?  Not cold turkey... surely?? 

2 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

It had been planned down to the last detail... crew trained, an entirely new rocket built... the weather was good, planets aligned... everything was good to go, until... My bleedin' mouse broke down. ;.;;.;;.;  So there's gonna be no KSP until Tuesday, and this particular mission - Project Orthrus - which is to be played in the Demo version won't happen until next Sunday!

In the meantime, having to get through until Tuesday at the earliest before my new mouse arrives, what cures or fixes do you guys have for KSP withdrawal symptoms?  Not cold turkey... surely?? 

I refuse to believe you don't know anyone that can lend you a mouse for two days.

Also, thrift stores are usually littered with $0.25 mice to get you by. :wink:

Edited by Geonovast

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I refuse to believe you don't know anyone that can lend you a mouse for two days.

Also, thrift stores are usually littered with $0.25 mice to get you by. :wink:

Oddly enough, while most people I know have computers, I don't know anyone who has a spare mouse.  I must admit, I never thought of a "thrift store", or pound shop as we call them over here.  Do a bit of a search tomorrow at dinnertime.

31 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Oddly enough, while most people I know have computers, I don't know anyone who has a spare mouse.  I must admit, I never thought of a "thrift store", or pound shop as we call them over here.  Do a bit of a search tomorrow at dinnertime.

I think I own 4 or five. Not counting the ones with balls inside and the ones attached to my 2 computers. :wink:

ME

I feel for ya bud, my mouse started double clicking left click on a single click and/or not registering a single click at all.

Luckily I have a closet full of years of discarded computer junk so I had 4 or 5 equally terrible and somewhat broken mice to choose from as a temp replacement lol.

Personally I'm going to try and repair mine as I hear it isn't that difficult a job. (Just have to re-tension a spring under the left click button.) Hard to recommend an alternative game to ya without knowing what's wrong with your mouse, and what kind of control scheme you are using till you get a replacement?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I feel for ya bud, my mouse started double clicking left click on a single click.

Luckily I have a closet full of years of discarded computer junk so I had 4 or 5 equally terrible and somewhat broken mice to choose from as a temp replacement lol.

Personally I'm going to try and repair mine as I hear it isn't that difficult a job. (Just have to re-tension a spring under the left click button.)

I just recently picked up one of these.  Really comfortable, responsive, and doesn't get mucked up by all the cat hair on my desk like my previous mouse.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193113

3 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

I would immediately go to the nearest store and buy a mouse that functioned. Of course, I also have a closet full of random computer parts and probably have whatever my computer needs if it was an emergency. Not being able to operate my computer would qualify as an emergency to me. It is, after all, my primary source of entertainment because my daughter has learned to operate netflix on my 60 inch.

13 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

or pound shop as we call them over here. 

Which suggests you're in the UK?  If so the big Sainsbury's and Tesco will sell you a basic wired mouse for about a fiver, and usually sell Microsoft or Logitech ones too if you want something a bit more upmarket.

4 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

I had to play for a week without headphones a short time ago. #wifeaggro

Surely there is a volume control somewhere......

On the wife I mean. 

Oh how I wish....

Edited by Gargamel

7 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Which suggests you're in the UK?  If so the big Sainsbury's and Tesco will sell you a basic wired mouse for about a fiver, and usually sell Microsoft or Logitech ones too if you want something a bit more upmarket.

Yes... UK, Northern Ireland to be exact.  I was too busy to go shopping today unfortunately, and the one I ordered from Amazon should be here tomorrow, so I guess everyone at the KSC can have an extra day off this weekend.

On 1/28/2018 at 5:33 PM, The Flying Kerbal said:

Oh, wow, that sucks... :(

If you absolutely can't play anything, then I recommend old, campy sci-fi movies... Look for inspirations to build when you do get a replacement mouse.

6 hours ago, Archgeek said:

I use Atomic Rockets (or this forum) when I can't get my kerb on: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

The engine list page alone is good for several hours of entertainment, or at least fascination.

Just checked out this website you mentioned. This is a very dangerous time hole, I just spent almost an hour brushing up on antimatter only with the intention of taking a quick little peak. I could see losing hours on that site with great ease. 

41 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

Just checked out this website you mentioned. This is a very dangerous time hole, I just spent almost an hour brushing up on antimatter only with the intention of taking a quick little peak. I could see losing hours on that site with great ease. 

happens to me all the time. 

Honestly, buying a new mouse is harder then it seems these days.  Last time I needed a new one I went to BestBuy and the only wired mice they had in stock were expensive gaming mice, everything else was wireless.  And the same went for Keyboards.  It seems that Bestbuy only markets to people who need peripherals for laptops or fancy gaming systems these days.  Despite living in the so called silicon forest, none of the other stores in the area carry any real PC hardware anymore, they're all big on gaming, unless I drive for an hour to the nearest Fry's.

Just 10 years ago, I remember being able to get a mechanical keyboard or wired mouse just about anywhere for dirt cheap.  Now, I have to settle for a $60 "mechanical feel" keyboard on Amazon if I want anything better then a POS Bluetooth keyboard.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

It seems that Bestbuy only markets to people who need peripherals for laptops or fancy gaming systems these days.

I won't set foot in a BestBuy anymore.  Mainly because they seem to cater to those who only want the newest of the new, and because they're expensive.  I can't stand wireless peripherals on a desktop.  Just makes no sense to me, which is why I was glad to find the mouse above at NewEgg.  I'm fine with a bluetooth mouse for my laptop, because it is more portable and my laptop only has two USB ports.

I really wish I had a MicroCenter.  Awesome computer store, and they carry 3D printer stuff.. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.