Bad science in fiction Hall of Shame

peadar1987

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Expanse, s05e10.

When the Razorback prepares to acceleration, why do they turn the seats from the propere "chest-to-back" orientation to the absolutely strange "feet-forward, feet-to-head" one?

They want to feel standing on their heads? Or imagine they are bobsledders?

VeVi8tb.png

The red thing is supposed to be a part of a machine for soul sucking procedure in Babylon 5.

Funnily enough, that thing actually is a sucking device, but how on Earth do prop masters jump from solder to soul? Do they have a huge warehouse of random junk and just pick whatever item?

10 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

The red thing is supposed to be a part of a machine for soul sucking procedure in Babylon 5.

Funnily enough, that thing actually is a sucking device, but how on Earth do prop masters jump from solder to soul? Do they have a huge warehouse of random junk and just pick whatever item?

I'm guessing that the workshop has had the solder sucker in the toolbox for a very long time.  But they also have a real solder station, so they don't need the type that barely works.  So it got turned into a prop.  I also suspect that prop departments never, ever throw things away.  Especially weird items with funky parts attached to them.

Edited by wumpus

On 2/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Shpaget said:

Prop masters are geniuses at repurposing items.   For example, the walls of the training grounds from Starship Troopers are made from a sleeping pad for backpackers made by a company called Thermarest:

22736079_7.jpg?v=8D2803469F43CD0

Daleks have plungers on their faces.  Most of the weaponry from the original starwars was just modified guns they could get from the local gun shop.    It's about how something appears to work, not how it actually works.

Anyways....  The Midnight Sky.    I'm enjoying the flick, Clooney is almost always a great actor, and most of the supporting cast is good, but the asteroid field scenes...... sigh...   I know they need them as a plot point.... but....

On 2/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, Shpaget said:

Thunderbird 1.jpg

See the circular thing on the right of the rocketplane? It's a repurposed orange juicer :D It's so iconic, it returned in newest CGI series of Thunderbirds.

A local museum had an exhibition of Star Wars props a while ago,  It was fun looking at a Millennium Falcon model and identifying all the salvaged plastic kit parts. I saw several BMW motorcycle parts, front forks, engine covers, cylinders and so on. 

11 hours ago, Scotius said:

Thunderbird 1.jpg

See the circular thing on the right of the rocketplane? It's a repurposed orange juicer :D It's so iconic, it returned in newest CGI series of Thunderbirds.

Even before you say it the scene looked small to me., i the rocket 1-2 meter high.  Probably as all the visible items are large. 

That it until you notice the walkway. I once looked at an 3d model of an compressor, Its freezer  size I thought as its tend to be the size of large compressors. 
Then I noticed the walkway halfway up it :) 

16 hours ago, A Nicheling said:

The midnight sky.

I liked the space effects but the science and the plot where not good.

Yeah.... after finishing it.... it was pretty bland....   A lot of the plot could have gone another route...  I could have done without the trip to the other station, at least just show them traveling and get it over with. 

And the Earth like undiscovered moon around Jupiter?   C'mon.... even Galileo would have found that one.   And if it was there... the radiation belts that close in would have fried anything there. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Yeah.... after finishing it.... it was pretty bland....   A lot of the plot could have gone another route...  I could have done without the trip to the other station, at least just show them traveling and get it over with. 

And the Earth like undiscovered moon around Jupiter?   C'mon.... even Galileo would have found that one.   And if it was there... the radiation belts that close in would have fried anything there. 

I thought that Clooney was amazing in that, as Clooney always is. I liked basically all of the plot on Earth, maybe because I’m a sucker for “man, all alone and slowly going insane” plots. I wish we learned exactly what the event was though.

As for science (spoilers of course)

+1 for set design. I get the feeling they had some serious space nerds on that team who basically did what they could. For instance:

BE2-AC195-559-A-404-C-8248-977-F38562-F3
93-CB4-B61-F965-47-CD-8-C4-F-6-A842271-D

+1 for spacecraft design. The front parts of the ship where the viewer would be looking make no sense as usual, but the back parts are top-tier.

59-E06244-1-B10-4-AC7-9-A7-E-36920-A9-E9
If you can see, some parts are labeled as hydrazine tanks, xenon tanks, and ion engines, and even a Dreamchaser reentry vehicle. Very good. The front part doesn’t make sense, mostly the unnecessary debris shielding that doesn’t even cover the habitats and is made of glass or something like it for whatever reason.

+1 for mentioning gravity assists.

-1 for space debris fields.

-1 for not respecting Newton.

-1 for discovering a new Earth-sized moon of Jupiter with a plainclothes climate in the 21st century.

-1 for a plainclothes climate on a Jovian moon.

-1 for making the moon look like Norway, foliage and all. (How did it get there? No one knows!)

-1 for reentering with a Dreamchaser from a Jupiter-Earth trajectory.

-1 for saying that the above spaceship takes place 25 years in the future.

-1 for the spacecraft crew not detecting the presumably nuclear event that happened on Earth.

-1 for nobody alerting the crew.

1 hour ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

+1 for spacecraft design. The front parts of the ship where the viewer would be looking make no sense as usual, but the back parts are top-tier.

59-E06244-1-B10-4-AC7-9-A7-E-36920-A9-E9
If you can see, some parts are labeled as hydrazine tanks, xenon tanks, and ion engines, and even a Dreamchaser reentry vehicle. Very good. The front part doesn’t make sense, mostly the unnecessary debris shielding that doesn’t even cover the habitats and is made of glass or something like it for whatever reason.

True, the station looked really cool but the shield was badly placed and designed.

-2  Who does a shield with glass and does not protect the crew spaces?

+1 Also worth mentioning it is one of the few movies where the space station is not destroyed. In all the rest of space movies the space stations gets wrecked. lol

Edited by A Nicheling
fixed my bad grammar.

4 hours ago, A Nicheling said:

it is one of the few movies where the space station is not destroyed.

I bet, they have a sequel in mind.

They still have a space station to destroy. It's an opened gestalt.

Edited by kerbiloid

Cowgirls vs Pterodactyls (2021)

It's just too perfect to criticize, but...

Pterodactyls can't fly by shifting sidewards / strafe,

Also unlikely they have red target marks in separated fields of view of their eyes.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 2/7/2021 at 12:51 AM, kerbiloid said:

I bet, they have a sequel in mind.

They still have a space station to destroy. It's an opened gestalt.

I highly doubt it, unless they are planning to do a version of “Waiting for Godot” in space.  

• 4 weeks later...

Dunkirk

That's right.

Dunkirk.

Spitfires do not glide like that.    Nothing glides like that.    Maybe gliders do.... but not spitfires.  

There's enough action sequence failures in this movie make me upset to start with... but that scene.... ARG!  

Maybe it happened in real life, but gah.... not like that.  

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Dunkirk

That's right.

Dunkirk.

Spitfires do not glide like that.    Nothing glides like that.    Maybe gliders do.... but not spitfires.  

There's enough action sequence failures in this movie make me upset to start with... but that scene.... ARG!  

After he lands he fires a very pistol into the cockpit and the whole aircraft bursts into flames, despite it having run out of petrol.

2 minutes ago, benzman said:

After he lands he fires a very pistol into the cockpit and the whole aircraft bursts into flames, despite it having run out of petrol.

I was just assuming it was one of the rare cloth skinned spitfires.   :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Dunkirk

That's right.

Dunkirk.

Yeah, that was quite the glide, I remember noticing that too. Maybe he was catching updrafts from all that burning stuff... /s