Are you also in a planet's SOI if you are in the SOI of one of it's moons?

I've been taking field data from Kerbin to my orbital processing lab, but I was wondering if being on the surface of Mun counts as also being in Kerbin's SOI for purposes of the Mobile Processing Lab's Context Bonus.  Since I send a shuttle out there every so often for training, it would be "free" to send science data along too and enjoy the extra bonus.

22 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I don't believe so. You can be at high or low altitude over a body and experiment results state this but there is no mention of the parent body if at a moon.  

Not talking about the actual experiment results.  The MPL-LG-2 lets you take data captured in the field (i.e. from an experiment) and convert that data into science.  1 data = 5 science.  You get a bonus for being in the same context (i.e SOI) that the data was captured in and another bonus for being on the surface (except for Kerbin, where you get a penalty).  So, if the surface of the Mun is within Kerbin's SOI as far as a lab is concerned (the Mun's SOI is technically fully within Kerbin's SOI) you could theoretically get 138% instead of 125% just for being in orbit.

Edited by Tibrogargan

1 hour ago, Tibrogargan said:

I was wondering if being on the surface of Mun counts as also being in Kerbin's SOI for purposes of the Mobile Processing Lab's Context Bonus.

No, it does not. You can only ever be in one SOI at a time. "Sphere of influence" means that the current celestial body's influence is dominant over all others in this region; it makes no logical sense to say "The Mun is the dominant body, but so is Kerbin".

You can easily confirm this ingame, by simply going from one SOI to the other while observing the projected result of converting experiments. Take science from high Kerbin orbit while you are on an intercept course for the Mun. Check how much data you get before and after you switch SOIs. You will see that you lose the bonus as soon as you enter the Mun's SOI. And you will see the same result when you take science from the Mun and then leave its SOI.

Edited by Streetwind

From a purely conversational stand point, I think you could say that if you are in the Mun's SOI you are still in Kerbins SOI; because the Mun itself is in Kerbins SOI. By that logic you are also still in the Suns SOI as well, and whatever the Sun is orbiting, and so on and so on.

It's like being in a swimming pool, on a yacht, that's in a pond, that's on an island, that's in a lake. Which body of water are you technically in? Just the pool on the Yacht? Or all of them?

I find this kind of theoretical logic question very interesting, any thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

From a purely conversational stand point, I think you could say that if you are in the Mun's SOI you are still in Kerbins SOI; because the Mun itself is in Kerbins SOI. By that logic you are also still in the Suns SOI as well, and whatever the Sun is orbiting, and so on and so on.

It's like being in a swimming pool, on a yacht, that's in a pond, that's on an island, that's in a lake. Which body of water are you technically in? Just the pool on the Yacht? Or all of them?

Kinda when one says:

some players never leave Kerbin SoI, they reach orbit, land on Mun/Minmus but never go beyond.    

Nonetheless the trajectory predicted for a vessel going from kerbin to the Mun will have that well know marking of leaving/entering SoI. The science collected at Ike Soi don't count as science from Duna. IOW what linuxgurugamer said.

7 hours ago, Tibrogargan said:

Not talking about the actual experiment results.

Doesn't matter.  As people have already said,

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

You can only ever be in one SOI at a time.

That's how the game is written.  Every vessel is always in exactly one SOI, and that SOI is the only SOI that is relevant to the vessel.  If you're in the Mun's SOI, you're in the Mun's SOI, and that's that.  Your vessel neither knows nor cares that the Mun happens to be orbiting inside Kerbin's SOI.  The vessel only knows about the SOI that it's currently in, for all aspects of gameplay.

"There can be only one."  :wink:

9 minutes ago, Snark said:

Doesn't matter.  As people have already said

Fun fact: when he wrote that line, nobody had actually said that yet.

This is what you get for making the Gameplay Questions forum use this silly format that throws posts out of order! :P 

7 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Me too :)  When talking about this sort of theoretical arrangement, it would hypothetically impact an MPL because while you would get a context bonus for doing Kerbin research on the surface of the Mun you would not get a bonus for doing Minmus research there (or maybe you would, since the data was still collected in Kerbin's SOI - but I guess it would just be lower)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.