KSP Challenge: Lithobraking!

Darth Badie

S3qyGU0_hgwGs9e67afLeGXa1V5SHBR7cAIpIr63

Hello everyone, 

Check out the amazing and creative entries of  the last challenge!

This week we have another theme for you:  Lithobraking! 

The objective is to land on the Mun, Minmus, etc. with no engines run after 1000 meters radar altitude, and safely landing by using parts, etc. to dampen the crash as a sort of airbag, e.g. use some empty fuel tanks or structural parts to slow yourself down.

Mods:

Any mods with realistic crash tolerance are okay

Scoring: 

• 10 points for crashing at less than 150 m/s, 25 for successfully landing
  • 50 for lithobraking against a mun arch or regular monolith
  • 75 for lithobraking against a Randolith/ Green Meanie.

Bonuses for what body you land on:

Mun/Minmus/Gilly/Jool's moons(except Laythe): none. Moho/Dres: 5 points. Eeloo: 10 points. Duna/Laythe: 15 points. Kerbin: 20 points. Eve: 25 points, meaning lithobraking against a Randolith/Green Meanie on Eve is a perfect 100.

Extra: Flying there manually(not required): 20 points.

Thanks to @Mrcarrot for making this challenge possible! You will have two weeks for this challenge and will get a special badge! :wink: 

Have fun! 

1 minute ago, AngrybobH said:

looks fun....I think I'll give this one a try. But, what is a randolith or a green meanie? I've been around here for some time but I have never heard of these.

They came out in one of the last updates... Randomly generating green monoliths. There's supposed to be one for each solid planet and moon, and they never spawn in the same place twice from game to game.

Edited by Just Jim

2 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

looks fun....I think I'll give this one a try. But, what is a randolith or a green meanie? I've been around here for some time but I have never heard of these.

Some monoliths are randomly generated, special green ones.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Green_Monolith

Edit: ninja'd.

Edited by Mrcarrot

First, when I come down until 1000m (radar altitude) using the engine, then I drop an impactor. After that ...

• Non-atmospheric celestial bodies: free fall.
  • Atmospheric celestial bodies: Gliding with wings.

Or, on the Non-atmospheric celestial body, is it allowed to use RCS thrusters?

And does "successfully landing" mean the safety of cockpit or probe?

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think that he forgot to ban wings.

Even so, it's going to be way easier with an atmosphere. Can't even think how I'd go about this on Tylo, falling a kilometer there will have you going at well over 100 m/s. Would have to be one hey of a crumple zone to survive that.

7 hours ago, EBOSHI said:

First, when I come down until 1000m (radar altitude) using the engine, then I drop an impactor. After that ...

• Non-atmospheric celestial bodies: free fall.
  • Atmospheric celestial bodies: Gliding with wings.

Or, on the Non-atmospheric celestial body, is it allowed to use RCS thrusters?

And does "successfully landing" mean the safety of cockpit or probe?

5 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Question, why do atmospheric bodies get a bonus? Gliding to a soft landing is trivial.

4 hours ago, ThePerpetual said:

As far as I can tell, Eve will be far easier than anticipated because you can glide. Not to mention the fact that gliding means you can land directly on top  of any one given spot. Add to that that Eve is the highest scoring body...

33 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think that he forgot to ban wings.  I reread the rules, and they make sense if wings aren’t allowed.

Same goes for parachutes.

@Mrcarrot, you opinion?

Yes, wings/parachutes are not allowed. It would make it too easy. :wink: 

Also, yes, successfully landing does mean safety of command module.

Also, 1000 points will be given to anyone who can successfully do this on Jool...

Edited by Mrcarrot

Interesting, Not as hard as I was making it. I chose Kerbin because I'm lazy or possibly because atmosphere sounded interesting.

gOWTH9N.jpg

I started with intro landing gear because the crash tolerance is really high. Yeah that didn't last long. They don't handle reentry well.

VIS5cOn.jpg

I was coming in right on target until I trued throttling down and accidentally hit the C (IVA) button. By the time I recovered I was off course a tiny bit.

19xtIMt.jpg

Jeb surveys the results. I cut the engine at 2000 m. I could have burned another 820 m to stay at 1000 m above terrain. I forgot to check the impact speed but it landed on the engine bell and did not explode so it must have been a soft landing. 45 points if I understand correctly.

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Interesting, Not as hard as I was making it. I chose Kerbin because I'm lazy or possibly because atmosphere sounded interesting.

I started with intro landing gear because the crash tolerance is really high. Yeah that didn't last long. They don't handle reentry well.

I was coming in right on target until I trued throttling down and accidentally hit the C (IVA) button. By the time I recovered I was off course a tiny bit.

Jeb surveys the results. I cut the engine at 2000 m. I could have burned another 820 m to stay at 1000 m above terrain. I forgot to check the impact speed but it landed on the engine bell and did not explode so it must have been a soft landing. 45 points if I understand correctly.

Nice navball. Where'd you get it?

Not sure if this is abusing the rules.  No parachutes, no wings.  Just a heat shield.  Rockets were only used for deorbit burn, then decoupled.

Planetary body: Eve           25 points

Successful landing            25 points

Total:                                    50 points

This was a very simple vessel, I added a few parts for effect more than anything else, I didn't want to run out of EC on the way down.  Turned out I didn't really need it, so the solar panels were for effect only.

All stock

Imgur album:  https://imgur.com/a/y65Qv

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/Eve-challenge-lander

JBlrJEl.png

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure if this is abusing the rules.  No parachutes, no wings.  Just a heat shield.  Rockets were only used for deorbit burn, then decoupled.

Planetary body: Eve           25 points

Successful landing            25 points

Total:                                    50 points

This was a very simple vessel, I added a few parts for effect more than anything else, I didn't want to run out of EC on the way down.  Turned out I didn't really need it, so the solar panels were for effect only.

All stock

Imgur album:  https://imgur.com/a/y65Qv

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/Eve-challenge-lander

-image here-

Sure, it counts! I may have to slightly tweak the scoring system, but for now, 50 points!

I didn't fly there manually but here is my Tie Flighter in action. It can land on at least the Mun and Eve. By the way, does it have to include a Kerbal?

I believe Eve should be the easiest planet because of the dense atmosphere. Tylo should be the hardest (biggest no atmo planet).

https://imgur.com/a/n09xE

Highlights:

xO8EwHf.jpg

I might redo it with a Kerbal. It was fun.

I suppose 100pts?

2 minutes ago, dvader said:

I didn't fly there manually but here is my Tie Flighter in action. It can land on at least the Mun and Eve. By the way, does it have to include a Kerbal?

I believe Eve should be the easiest planet because of the dense atmosphere. Tylo should be the hardest (biggest no atmo planet).

https://imgur.com/a/n09xE

Highlights:

-snip-

I might redo it with a Kerbal. It was fun.

I suppose 100pts?

Well, you did sort of have wings... so, the Eve landing doesn't count, but the Mun landing does! That's 25 points.