KSP Challenge: Lithobraking!

Darth Badie

I once made a probe core survive landing on the Mun with no engines fired after deorbiting from a 5km equatorial orbit. Basically, it was surrounded with a huge crumple structure made of struts and landing legs. It didn't stay landed, though. The probe core and a big cloud of debris bounced out to a high elliptical Kerbin orbit.

Judging by the system. I got 65 points.

I designed a small lithobraker craft, and attached it atop a Stearwing A300 with a modified tail-fin. (I will get pictures soon, I have to copy them from a PS4) and flew to an altitude of about 2,200 feet on Kerbin (I am not sure if this counts as "flying there manually" or not, but if it is, that is 20 points. Since I did it on Kerbin, that is also 20 points.) I proceeded to decouple the lithobraker and begin the descent. The shell was a Mk3 Cargo Bay CRG-25 with Mk3 Engine Mounts on each end, and inside the cargo bay was a Probodobodyne HECS2, two PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators, and an Advanced Inline Stabilizer.  The descent speed began at 150 km/s, and slowed down to 70 km/s. When I landed, an engine mount sacrificed itself as a cushion and the rest survived (I consider that a successful landing, so that adds the final 25 points.)

Please address whether flying to 2,200 feet and dropping it is considered "flying there manually."

I sort of completed this on accident. Does Ike count?

The short version of the story is 5 ships are heading to the Duna SOI. One of these is a rover intended for an Ike surface science mission and it is a near copy of the rover I used for the alpine challenge(the design performed very well). I miscalculated the fuel requirements, as I usually do(by something like 1000m/s). To save some fuel I did an aerobrake in Duna's air, lost comms while the engine was burning, tumbled like an unbalanced washing machine on a turbo powered spin cycle, dropped to ~10km while still at Duna ejection velocity, and came out the other side with an Ike encounter and control returned. I ran out of fuel with 1249m radar altitude to go. Here are the results.

Last of the gas. The 338m/s showing on the dV stats is the hill climb assist rockets attached to the rover inside the fairing

5A6C3203540AA18850E30A030CC9EDE6E8A19038

On the ground. The only things that exploded were the heat shield, an antenna, and one of the thuds. Not bad considering the speed of ground contact, which if I remember right, was ~80m/s

DAA1F14693CBC10ED3D39FD20DEA4119CDA8646D

And the rover is safe and awaiting the crew.

EB20917C1EF1A16D5834F46E9DF8CAED8DED97AF

39 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

TL;DW; Manual flight to and successful "landings" on the Mun, Eve, and Tylo (infinite prop needed for Tylo). Many attempts and many, many kabooms. One landing was successful at over 700m/s! Enjoy!

OK, that Tylo landing... looked like ~825 m/s.....

I know your engine was running, but that landing is now worth 120 points.

I'm that impressed.

Hello, as my first activity on this forum, I decided to have a go at this challenge (actually quite a few gos) and here are the results:

Album a/RlEGK will appear when post is submitted

Jeb boosted up to  ~800 m from launchpad, detached the SRB, ascended to about 1300 m and landed on the VAB bringing it down on itself for moar explosions.

Edited by Anticlimax

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

TL;DW; Manual flight to and successful "landings" on the Mun, Eve, and Tylo (infinite prop needed for Tylo). Many attempts and many, many kabooms. One landing was successful at over 700m/s! Enjoy!

Nice! I came to the same conclusion as you did that it is partly about luck and how the simulation steps. I had a couple of unexpected partial failures where the reaction wheel under the seat exploded but not the chair itself. By pure chance, one of the screenshots I got probably shows what is happening.

The chair is halfway in the ground at 76m/s. The reaction wheel will touch the ground and explode but the structural panels survive since they can manage 80m/s.

gEM3N01.jpg

I've also noticed how explosions sometimes make stuff bounce off unharmed but sometimes not... Haven't figured out why (yet). I tried using an explosive "cushion" by separating lots of tanks before impact but with no reliable results.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That was 9:24 of pure entertainment. Also, I approve of the song selections.

On 2018-02-12 at 11:28 AM, AngrybobH said:

That was 9:24 of pure entertainment. Also, I approve of the song selections.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It took me awhile of scrolling through my music library to find songs  that would work, even though they’re three completely different sounds. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Just now, Mrcarrot said:

Unfortunately, we have to have images to confirm that you have completed the challenge. Sorry.

Oh. I will work on getting them. I did it on PS4, so I have to convert from PS4 to USB to PC to Imgur, and I don't have much time on my hands with school.

1 minute ago, Casualnaut said:

Oh. I will work on getting them. I did it on PS4, so I have to convert from PS4 to USB to PC to Imgur, and I don't have much time on my hands with school.

OK. Take all the time you need; you will still receive credit if your images come in after the challenge is over.

Edit: speaking of which, the deadline is tomorrow at Noon CST. (That's 18:00/6:00 PM UTC).

Edited by Mrcarrot

On 2/19/2018 at 5:04 AM, NightRunner said:

Here's my entry! https://imgur.com/a/yBwwq :cool:

Think I managed to get 75 points! But that is of course for the judges to decide :D

Edit: excrements, I think I'm too late :P Well I did DO it in time, as can be seen from the livestream - guess I should've posted here earlier...

Sorry, the 10 points for <150 m/s are only for ships that are destroyed in the crash, so, 65 points!

• 2 weeks later...