Cannot fly asteroid base

So I've been developing a large base on an asteroid I have in orbit around Kerbin with the help of KAS/KIS.  Everything has been working great but I have a minor issue, I cannot switch to the base from the tracking station. In order to actually use the station I have to rendezvous with it and dock on (been using Hyperedit to rendezvous easily) I have been able to 'fly' other asteroids with nothing on them but I still cannot switch to my base.

Isn't there a control unit on the base, ie. cockpit or probe core?

Also check the base's object type in the tracking station view. It might have been changed automatically to something unswitchable like 'debris' as you attached parts to it.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, Rocket Witch said:

Also check the base's object type in the tracking station view. It might have been changed automatically to something unswitchable like 'debris' as you attached parts to it.

I'm perfectly able to "fly" debris -- either by switching with the bracket keys ([ or ]) when flying another vessel nearby, or by selecting in the Tracking Station and clicking the green "rocket" button below the object list.  Obviously, debris that lacks a probe core can't be controlled in any way, but I can "watch" it (for instance, to make it burn up in an atmosphere pass that it would just fly through if outside physics range).  However, if the object type has been set to something that's filtered out in the Tracking Station or map screen, you won't be able to see it on those screens (hence, not switch to it), but only visually from another vessel close enough to give an object marker against the sky. 

On 2/1/2018 at 12:55 PM, Rocket Witch said:

I do have multiple cockpits attached, and the base is set to 'Station' 

On 1/31/2018 at 7:51 PM, Something_Smith said:

I cannot switch to the base from the tracking station.

Hmmm.....  Do you even see the base on the map?  I'm thinking you can if you're able to rendezvous with it.  In that case, it's in the tracking station somewhere.  It's probably just labeled as some type of ship you're not expecting, so if you're using filters to look for it, it's being filtered out.  It's probably the type of whatever ship brought the 1st cockpit or probe core to the asteroid base.

If you can see the asteroid base on the map (make sure all filters are turned on), then you should be able to select it from the map instead of from its name in the left-hand column.  And if you're flying any other ship, from that ship's map view you should be able to right-click on the asteroid base on the map and select "Switch To".

I suggest that next time you get to the asteroid, you go to any of its command parts, select "Rename Vessel", and change the type to what you want, like base or station.

I've had that happen before, but never managed to fix it, so I'm very curious if you can 'un-curse' the craft. It was also an asteroid in my case; one I'd managed to shove into an equatorial orbit in preparation for making it the centerpiece of a major LKO depot. But then with no real cause I could see, I couldn't switch to it anymore. Though you seem to be having more luck than I did - the next time I docked with it, physics went nuts, and the rock headed for Kerbin's surface like it'd been fired from a linear accelerator. Like, straight down at orbital velocity; 90 degree change in velocity vector.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:10 PM, Vanamonde said:

Sounds like a bug. And so, moved to tech support. 

Wish I could provide more details on this. All I can say is that if it's the same bug, it's been around since before last patch (thus why no save details). I had used KAS to strut some things directly to the asteroid for stability, so I sorta assumed I'd had a mod glitch and just moved on. The asteroid was more a vanity project than anything critical to my career plans, so I never tried again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.