Back when I was a kid

SpacedCowboy

17 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Back when I was a kid, also the 60's, I would up at the night sky and think "I'm ready any time the aliens want to come get me off this rock..."

Not much has changed... :rolleyes:

I still do that... and wonder often if they forgot about me...

12 hours ago, TheSaint said:

When I was a kid nobody cared what shape we chewed our Pop-Tarts into.

Yup, and not only this, they didn't care if you brought plastic army men to school, either...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/03/08/cupcakes-with-army-soldiers-get-kid-in-hot-water-at-school/

18 minutes ago, NSEP said:

When i was a kid, people didn't eat tide pods.

We didn't throw boiling water on our friends either. We just shot them with BB guns...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2656195/Dont-try-home-Hot-Water-Challenge-prank-goes-terribly-wrong-leaves-young-man-severe-burn-marks.html

18 hours ago, SpacedCowboy said:

In the mid 60"s, we use to be able to look up into the night sky and exclaim "Oh look, that's a satellite!"

Nowadays, it's more like (with light pollution and all) "Oh look, it's a star!"

Then you clearly do not live where I live. Even within town limits it's nothing but stars. (Closest significant city is 10+km as the crow flies. The next 20+km.)

When I was a kid I had a six-pack. Now I have a keg.

Back when I was a kid... wait, I'm still a kid when I'm thinking about... tall, but still a kid.

Also, our islands were illuminating the sky enough to make it nearly impossible to enjoy a satellite, or anything else in space (exception made of some shooting stars) :/

Back when I was a kid......

Okay okay, back when I was a smaller kid, I would perform these amazingly cool aerobatic ninja moves and climb up onto a chair before clambering onto the table, and then making a leap for the kitchen counter. I would hit the surface all smooth and slide down the length of the counter like one of those spies in movies before stopping beneath the cookie cupboard. I'd then grab as many cookies as possible, stuff them in my mouth, and leap down to the floor like batman, except without the chubby, cookie-filled cheeks. Then I would climb into my cardboard car high speed vehicle and zoom away whilst being pursued by gun-toting gangsters.

At least, that's what it felt like....

Now it's a little more underwhelming because all I have to do is reach up.

I grew :(

When I was a kid, we had one of these:

220px-New_Zealand_Rotary_Telephone.jpg

**edit**

FunFactTM: When I was a toddler I was playing with it and dialing randomly, once someone answer and it scared the ever-living blinking bejeeezes out of my tiny self. I didnt play with it again!

Edited by p1t1o

38 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

I desperately wanted one of these at home (we had 6 of them in the computer room at school):

c64.jpg

I got one of those when I was 16. I had been using my brother's Amiga 1000, but he had moved out a couple of months before, so I was computerless. I went away to winter camp with church, and when I came back my parents had bought me the full Commodore 64 gig: computer, monitor, floppy disk drive, even a 300-baud modem (which I had no idea what to do with at the time). It was quite the score. I didn't have to hike half-an-hour to my friend's house to play Combat Leader anymore. :D

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

when I came back my parents had bought me the full Commodore 64 gig: computer, monitor, floppy disk drive, even a 300-baud modem 

No such luck for me. My first computer was a 66 MHz 486 that I bought myself in the early '90s. My mom thought computers were just toys and didn't see the value in having one at home, so I had to use the ones at school. And of course we weren't allowed to play games on those ones. I got around the rule by writing my own (admittedly stupid) game. Remember sprite graphics?

3 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

No such luck for me. My first computer was a 66 MHz 486 that I bought myself in the early '90s. My mom thought computers were just toys and didn't see the value in having one at home, so I had to use the ones at school. And of course we weren't allowed to play games on those ones. I got around the rule by writing my own (admittedly stupid) game. Remember sprite graphics?

Oh, yes I do remember sprite graphics. My computer teacher had a love/hate relationship with me. She loved me because I was her brightest student, but she hated me because I was always done with my assignments first, goofing off on the computers back in the corners, and making myself a general distraction to the other students in the class. (So, as you can all see, nothing has changed. :D )

I remember when she made the final exam for Computer II when I was a senior, she decided to do something different. She purposely made the test as hard as possible, timed to 40 minutes, by her own admission unpassable, with the plan of grading it on a curve. When the exam was completed and graded, everyone in the entire class (which included three of our senior classes' four valedictorians) had scored a 69% or lower, which was a failing grade at our school. Except for one of the valedictorians who scored a 72%, a D grade. And me. I finished in 34 minutes and scored 100%. I still remember her standing at the front of the class after she has announced all of this, staring at me, shaking her head and saying, "Mr. [TheSaint]. What are we going to do with you?"

I apparently am not the oldest one here but one of the elder.

When i was a kid the last steam locomotives ran on the railroad tracks.

We had to arrange something after school if we wanted to meet later in the afternoon to play.

It was a rural area and not everybody had a telephone. We had one. It had a three digit number after the 5-digit area code. European backwaters :-)

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX 81

My first self earned computer was an Apple ][ clone.

My first car was a used Renault 4. 34hp, but only 700kg empty weight. 0 to 100km/h sometimes with the help of heavy tailwind. "Umbrella" gear shifter :-)

56 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

She loved me because I was her brightest student, but she hated me because I was always done with my assignments first, goofing off on the computers back in the corners, and making myself a general distraction to the other students in the class. (So, as you can all see, nothing has changed. :D )

So this is what happens to the irreverent smart kids? We grow up, get boring jobs and join sciencey forums online? A personality profile that I did once described me as "instinctively insubordinate". I'd say that they nailed it.

11 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

So this is what happens to the irreverent smart kids? We grow up, get boring jobs and join sciencey forums online? A personality profile that I did once described me as "instinctively insubordinate". I'd say that they nailed it.

And then we live out our lives as a cautionary tale for the younger generations. Yes, something like that. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.