Back when I was a kid

SpacedCowboy

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Loaded off of cassette tapes. Good times.

I was telling one of the younger guys at work about how we used to load software off of cassette tapes. How we had to write down the tape counter location where the program started and manually fast forward to that count before starting. His facial expression suggested that he suddenly saw me as an actual old man in that instant.

When I was a kid, a portable game player, a CD player or a games console were such advanced technology that *you* didnt get one, your *house* got one.

Like "We have a SAGA game gear", in the same way that you might say "We have central heating".

3 hours ago, PakledHostage said:

I was telling one of the younger guys at work about how we used to load software off of cassette tapes. How we had to write down the tape counter location where the program started and manually fast forward to that count before starting. His facial expression suggested that he suddenly saw me as an actual old man in that instant.

I actually still have the tapes, too.

I don't know when the last time I actually saw a cassette player, though.

9 minutes ago, razark said:

I hired a car in Europe a few months ago, a NEW car and it came with a tape deck. It took me a moment to recognise what it was.

Man, tapes right?

"AGH man I hate this song! Guess Ill just listen to it all the way through."

"Man, I LOVED that song! Cant wait for it to play again in 45 minutes!"

There was a period, though it might have only been measured in weeks due to advancing technologies, where super-modern tape players would sense the 2-seconds of silence in between tracks so you could skip tracks just like on a CD/mp3 player.

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, razark said:

My truck actually has its original dual-deck CD-cassette player. Haven't tried the cassette player yet, wonder if it still works.

Just now, TheSaint said:

My truck actually has its original dual-deck CD-cassette player. Haven't tried the cassette player yet, wonder if it still works.

The last time I used one in the vehicle, it was to use one of those adapter cassettes for my mp3 player.

Just now, razark said:

The last time I used one in the vehicle, it was to use one of those adapter cassettes for my mp3 player.

My first car had only a cassette deck, but I was I was an early adopter of CDs so that was all I would purchase. I remember sitting there and dutifully copying every CD I bought to cassette so that I could play them in the car.

I was born before Gagarin went to space. I was in second grade before we had indoor plumbing. When I was a kid we had three channels on the TV. They signed off the air around midnight. We had to go outside to turn the antenna. Good times. I was in college before the Atari 2600 came out. 

Back when I was a kid, life were a lot simpler. So was technology. Casette and floppy was on its way out while CD was coming in. I think I got a VHS casette from one toy package I brought though (had no idea what was it until I heard of VHS nowadays !). There wasn't any computer until our bedrooms had aircon. And there wasn't any portable electronic game stuff until computer was well in (I never had such stuff).

I was born on the eve of a national revolt though, not quite that simple a life then ?

23 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

when i was a kid....... Flat earth wasn't exist on indonesia.

I liked it slightly better when our people were completely ignorant, rather than partially ignorant.

Edited by YNM

When I was a kid, bullying gave me a thick skin, but maybe I had it all along.

I wish that they tried being friends instead of being instinct-driven cowards.

Their loss, Im heckin' cool now.

Edited by p1t1o

On 14.2.2018 at 2:03 PM, p1t1o said:

When I was a kid, bullying gave me a thick skin, but maybe I had it all along.

I wish that they tried being friends instead of being instinct-driven cowards.

Their loss, Im heckin' cool now.

Oh, wait, maybe i liked that too early: i understood you were bullied by instinct driven cowards and that gave you thick skin ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.