Make SAS an auto-assigned module on command pods instead of an intrinsic property of the SAS action group

Holy sciencey title Batman! Basically what I'm suggesting is for SAS to be a module on command pods/probe cores that's automatically assigned to the SAS action group but can be removed and set on other action groups, just like the brakes on wheels and lights in lights and crew parts. What this would do is open up an entirely new action group with new properties. I know you can already set things to the SAS action group, but it's basically suicide to disable SAS mid-flight, especially in some aircraft. As for the "new properties" I mentioned a sentence or two ago, the SAS action group can be on or off, and can have the state temporarily reversed by holding the F key. This would be useful for things such as Space X-style booster landings or SSTO re-entries where briefly deploying all your airbrakes or retracting them to keep them from blowing up from the re-entry heat or to fine-tune your trajectory would be extremely useful.

TL;DR - Make SAS an action group like brakes or lights to free it up for other things where temporarily inverting the state of a part would be required/useful.

47 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

TL;DR - Make SAS an action group like brakes or lights to free it up for other things where temporarily inverting the state of a part would be required/useful.

Press and hold the "F" key

Press "T" to toggle SAS on and off

Or do you want to switch between Prograde-ON-SAS and off-SAS ? (Without SAS reverting to default stability mode when you press these keys)

20 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Press and hold the "F" key

Press "T" to toggle SAS on and off

Or do you want to switch between Prograde-ON-SAS and off-SAS ? (Without SAS reverting to default stability mode when you press these keys)

I know about T and F but turning off SAS mid-flight is a terrible idea but I want to do something else with the action group without sacrificing the ability to use SAS. Instead of hitting T, I could just right-click on a cockpit or turn on an action group (probably stage for me) to turn on SAS. That way, any part, let's say a RAPIER engine, could have the toggle functionality of SAS. If I need a brief burst of rocket power to stop myself from crashing into the ground with a powered landing, I could just tap F and have it "sneeze" and revert to jet mode. Kindof a dumb example but you know what I mean, right?

19 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

The brake action group already has an active while pushed function.

Yeah but you can't invert it

13 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Yeah but you can't invert it

But its not a toggle. Its a momentary thing if you're pushing the button...

At least I think it is

43 minutes ago, qzgy said:

But its not a toggle. Its a momentary thing if you're pushing the button...

At least I think it is

Correct. If SAS is on and you press [F] it will be off as long as you hold it. If SAS is off and press [F] it will be on as long as you hold it.

And another thing. If a plane can not fly without SAS it is a crap design. A properly designed plane can fly even without SAS. All it would need is a bit of trim to compensate for slight weight shifting as fuel is consumed.

8 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Correct. If SAS is on and you press [F] it will be off as long as you hold it. If SAS is off and press [F] it will be on as long as you hold it.

And another thing. If a plane can not fly without SAS it is a crap design. A properly designed plane can fly even without SAS. All it would need is a bit of trim to compensate for slight weight shifting as fuel is consumed.

Plenty of modern planes are aerodynamically unstable.  Most modern fighter jets can't be flown without computer aided stability.

People are saying a lot of things about pressing F being temporary and then going back to the way it was before. That's why I want to be able to use it without turning off SAS, especially when I might want to deploy some sort of stabilizer or toggle afterburners in a supermaneuverable plane, such as what @Capt. Hunt said.

@Tex_NL@qzgy 

5 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

People are saying a lot of things about pressing F being temporary and then going back to the way it was before. That's why I want to be able to use it without turning off SAS, especially when I might want to deploy some sort of stabilizer or toggle afterburners in a supermaneuverable plane, such as what @Capt. Hunt said.

@Tex_NL@qzgy 

The more I think about this the less sense this makes. The current action groups are momentary is youre quick enough and the brakes are also momentary. So the new SAS toggle you propose  seems a bit of a waste.

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

The more I think about this the less sense this makes. The current action groups are momentary is youre quick enough and the brakes are also momentary. So the new SAS toggle you propose  seems a bit of a waste.

It's momentary but it can be inverted as well. Both states can be activated with a keyboard instead of briefly turning the brakes on and then permanently having them off or temporarily on. If you have the HUD off a lot (like I do for screenshots and videos), you can't turn the brakes on permanently. On the other side, I usually have SAS on for everything, so setting it to turn on with space/stage and having an extra action group to mess with would be ideal.

Edited by Fireheart318

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.