KSP Weekly: A Shuttle to Remember

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_p3jno2C2ra1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly everyone. Yesterday, 15 years ago, the Space Shuttle Columbia was returning to Earth after a 16-day scientific research mission when it disintegrated during re-entry near the end of its 28th mission, resulting in the deaths of all seven crew members. We want to take this opportunity to commemorate Columbia and its crew.

Columbia was the first space-rated orbiter in NASA’s Space Shuttle fleet. The Space Shuttle was different, new, and advanced. It launched vertically like a rocket, flew like a glider on its wings after re-entry, and landed on its wheels on runways; It also had a robotic arm capable of grabbing satellites in orbit for repair in space, or bringing them back to Earth. It launched for the first time on mission STS-1 on April 12, 1981, the first flight of the Space Shuttle program under the command of John Young. Over 22 years of service it completed 27 missions. Its construction began in 1975 and was named after the American ship Columbia Rediviva which, from 1787 to 1793, under the command of Captain Robert Gray, explored the US Pacific Northwest and became the first American vessel to circumnavigate the globe. It is also named after the Command Module of Apollo 11, the first manned landing on another celestial body. After construction, the orbiter arrived at Kennedy Space Center on March 25, 1979, to prepare for its first launch, which was delayed because of technical problems. It was finally launched on April 12, 1981, coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the first human spaceflight (Vostok 1), and returned on April 14, 1981, after orbiting the Earth 36 times, landing on the dry lakebed runway at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

The Space Shuttle Program was expanded due to the success of Columbia, and it was not long before the fleet of Shuttles was expanded by Challenger and a few years later by Discovery and Atlantis. Endeavour was the fifth and final operational shuttle built. These five shuttles flew 135 missions over the course of 30 years. Some of these included several Spacelab missions; the construction of the International Space Station (ISS); crew rotation and servicing of Mir and the ISS; servicing missions, such as to repair the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) and orbiting satellites; manned experiments in LEO; carrying the HST to low Earth orbit (LEO), as well as carrying the Chandra X-ray Observatory to a higher orbit, a mission perform by Columbia itself.

Columbia’s final successful mission was STS-109, the fourth servicing mission for the Hubble Space Telescope. Its next mission, STS-107, culminated in the orbiter’s loss when it disintegrated during reentry, killing all seven of its crew, including the first ever Israeli astronaut. The fate of the shuttle had been decided during its take off, when a falling piece of insulation foam struck the left wing and damaged the heat protection system.

The Columbia disaster was the second fatal accident to hit the fleet (the crew of Challenger had been lost in 1986), and consequently, President Bush decided to retire the Shuttle orbiter fleet by 2010 in favor of the Constellation program and its manned Orion spacecraft. The Constellation program was later cancelled with the NASA Authorization Act of 2010 signed by President Obama. Despite the tragic missteps, we can’t undermine the legacy of the Space Shuttle program. Everyone involved should be very proud of what they achieved in a 30 year long trajectory. We can at least keep launching shuttles from the KSC and look back and honor the heroes that gave their lives in the name of exploration and science.

[Development news start here]

Another week full of hard work. At this point of the development process of update 1.4 and the Making History Expansion, the projects are looking pretty much as they will at the release. The main features and components are already implemented, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a lot of work ahead of us. On the contrary, at this stage we need to polish, add the final components, and ensure that everything behaves as it should.

Along those final tasks, and talking about Making History specifically, is the implementation of Tutorial Missions for the Mission Builder. We talked about this last week, and we have made a lot of progress on that this week, and now we are undergoing a review for the advanced tutorial scenarios. To give you a brief idea of what you can expect from the tutorials in terms of content, we can share with you that they’ll be divided in three categories: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced tutorials.

The basic tutorial will teach how to use the nodes and place them in succession for a mission to make sense. You’ll also learn how to save your creations in this tutorial. The intermediate tutorial will introduce additional techniques, like taking advantage of the Action Panes and tailoring specific scenarios and events, i.e., situations that change the course of a Mission, as well as taking advantage of the Scoring system. Finally, the advanced tutorial will cover how to set requirements for crew and parts, custom messages for the success and failure dialogs, the validation dialogs, and how to export your creations to let others play them. As with the base game, taking the time with the tutorials will certainly give you an edge to become an excellent mission creator.

The team has also been working on a cool feature that will allow Mission Creators to preview the light on celestial bodies while in the Mission Builder. This will be done via a slider, which will have values based on the length of the light cycle of each Celestial Body, eg: Kerbin 0-6 hours (a full rotation period on Kerbin last 6 hours). This feature will also work for tidally locked bodies, such as Mun, where its rotation period encompasses a full orbit around Kerbin (6.43 days, or 1 Kerbin Month). The slider will adjust the position of the sun given the universal time of the solar system. This tool will give creators a clear grasp of the shade of a celestial body at a certain point in a mission.

Additionally, the developers are busy improving a Vessel/Part selector feature for part related nodes based on feedback provided by our dedicated testers. With this tool, Mission Creators will be able to determine the vessel and the part that will be affected by the node. A Creator will select the vessel through a drop down menu on the Setting Action Pane (SAP) and then will be able to select the part through a vessel visualizer found in the Graphic Action Pane (GAP).

Having expanded the part catalogue for the game also means that it has become important to balance them and specify where new parts should be located in the Tech Tree. Tasks need to be carefully assessed to give each part a role and place in the game, which can turn out to be more complicated than it seems.

Moreover, this week we began the process of wrapping up our part configurations and file organization for the new parts. All told, between Making History and 1.4, we are including about 75 new parts, not counting mesh and texture variants (include those, and we’re at over 100).

With that many parts, there is a lot of work. From more mundane tasks like asset consolidation, tags, and localization, to more interesting tasks like picking out manufacturers, part names, and flavor text for part descriptions.

One thing we have said for a while now is that the parts should be viewed as being ‘reminiscent of’ rather than 'replicas of’ historic parts. We’ve carried this over to the part names as well. So while you won’t find an RD-108, AJ-10, or an F1, you will see their analogues in the RK-7 'Kodiak’, RE-J10 'Wolfhound’, and KE-1 'Mastodon’.

We have also (finally!) done our balance pass of all of the monopropellant tanks, as well as the Xenon tanks. The QA and Dev teams spent a lot of time figuring out how to make these tanks follow consistent rules without causing major issues for our players.  

Monopropellant tanks will follow the same wet/dry ratios as our liquid fuel and LFO tanks. Xenon tanks were all over the map, but have now been standardized, and on the whole, will end up with a slightly lower dry mass, and a bit higher fuel capacity.

We’re also taking a hard look at the new pods, decouplers, etc. to make sure their mass, crash tolerance, cost, etc. are all consistent.  The guiding design principle is that the new parts should complement the existing part lineup, without forcing players to either use the new parts exclusively, or hobble them to where they are only useful in the context of the expansion.

As always, all of this will still have to go through another round or two of QA. And while this effort is not all encompassing (we’re focusing on expansion parts and our fuel tanks - both old and new), we’re happy to finally begin zeroing in on better standardization and consistency across our part catalog.

By the way, we have an awesome treat for you. Back when we announced the expansion, we mentioned that we were including a new vintage-spacesuit for Making History, well here it is.

tumblr_inline_p3jnof1rEr1rr2wit_540.png

[Click here for high-res pictures]

The spacesuit will come in three different colors, veteran crew members will get their own (orange) and the blue and brown suits will be used for EVA and IVA. Here’s where you’ll help us out! Which color would you rather have for each situation? Click here to enter the poll.

In other news, while we continue to compile feedback and reports regarding Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition, several issues have been already solved and our friends at BlitWorks have delivered a new build to be revised and tested by our QA team. If everything goes well, this means that we will be able to release our first console patch fairly soon. In the meantime, you can still help us out by providing us with feedback and by reporting issues in the Bugtracker. Here’s also the Bug Reporting Guide we shared with you last week in case you missed it.

Finally, we encourage you to participate in our latest KSP Challenge - Lithobraking! This time around, the challenge consists of landing on an atmosphereless body with no engines run after 1000 meters radar altitude, and safely landing by using parts to dampen the crash. Are you up to the challenge? Check it out and share your creations!

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings!

*Information Source:

51 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Brown suits for me.

This doesn't happen to mean modders will be able to implement new suits, does it?  Please say yes.

No. Sorry. But mods can already do replacement textures. See Texture Replacer mod.

Nice to hear that things are coming together. It's hard to wait for all the new parts I've been seeing.

Good to hear that the console is being taken care of, but my kids still don't seem to be interested in buying it :(

Having more spacesuits is nice. I take it the brown suits are for the first flight of a new rocket? 

And I just realized that I haven't done one of these in a while....

onhC0ze.png

If anyone wants the blank monolith template to make their own meme with it, pm me 

It's difficult to be excited about suits when you're a console player who is more interested in reliable saves and UI.

How soon is fairly soon? Like, waiting for a stamp to go to market, or still waiting for complete testing? Or still working on accepting the plan to make fixes? This language is so vague, and nothing you have said in the past gives me assurance or trust that you are sincere. How about details... please.

Details that would be nice to hear:

1. UI is now completely reliable. Warp, contract completion, and whatever else caused that nonsense is totally fixed.

2. Previously landed ships and kerbals no longer jump 5k meters when loaded from TS.

3. Switch to function now works without freezing UI.

It's either finished and on its way, unfinished, or stalled due to difficulties. For each of the three, (or more, we know there's more) what can we expect?

And if you've made progeess in theae areas, Why does the bug tracker show confirmation of issues at 100%, but 0% for planning, testing, and implementation? 

You're vague wording tells me you aren't confident enough to say you all know what your doing. Just trying to buy time while you cater to other pet projects...

Like stupid [snip] suits.

Edited by Vanamonde
Mind the language, please.

All we ever hear about 1.4 is that it is being worked on or some parts. I understand the team is excited about the expansion but when are we going to get details about what the change to the newer Unity means for mod development? Will it enable lower RAM use? What about he new particle system?

Can we PLEASE have a blog centered around 1.4?

You know what squad ... [snip] You have just released a year and a half wait update and it is totally broke. You play it off as everything is fine and we should jump in and help you out. When are you going to act accountable? Shame on you and blitworks. Just post any ps4 or Xbox one user completing the science tree on console. It doesn't exist without some crazy dedication to overcome the horrible, unplayable bugs you have dished out to us. Ef anymore who comes up with excuses for this company. Time to pay the piper. If I don't see you again fare well.

Edited by Vanamonde

22 minutes ago, AbhChallenger said:

All we ever hear about 1.4 is that it is being worked on or some parts. I understand the team is excited about the expansion but when are we going to get details about what the change to the newer Unity means for mod development? Will it enable lower RAM use? What about he new particle system?

Can we PLEASE have a blog centered around 1.4?

Not sure what you are asking for? Once the release gets closer we can release details for modders and the version of Unity. But you have to be patient a bit longer as I am unable to release those details yet.
As far as modders changes related to Unity. All the changelogs for Unity itself give you an indication of what changes are in Unity.

Devs Blogs - are being worked on. But those are compiled in free time so aren't a high priority. But rest assured some will be coming once we get closer to release.

4 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Not sure what you are asking for? Once the release gets closer we can release details for modders and the version of Unity. But you have to be patient a bit longer as I am unable to release those details yet.
As far as modders changes related to Unity. All the changelogs for Unity itself give you an indication of what changes are in Unity.

Devs Blogs - are being worked on. But those are compiled in free time so aren't a high priority. But rest assured some will be coming once we get closer to release.

I have seen the Unity changelogs. What we don't know is how much of those changes are actually being implemented and how they will affect things.

For instance wasn't there a change to the way assets are loaded? Could this mean mods can be loaded as needed rather than all being loaded at startup? For those of us stuck on 8 gigs of RAM due to the insane prices right now this is very important.

What about Vulkan? newer versions of Unity support it. Will KSP take advantage of the benefits of CPU use?

3 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I'd say it's simply that the amount of detail given about the DLC has been great, with constant updates on UI and nodes and more nodes.  Details about 1.4 have been sparse at best.  It's the disparity of the two that is odd.  I just assumed 1.4 was more about supporting the DLC, which is fine by me.

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'd say it's simply that the amount of detail given about the DLC has been great, with constant updates on UI and nodes and more nodes.  Details about 1.4 have been sparse at best.  It's the disparity of the two that is odd.  I just assumed 1.4 was more about supporting the DLC, which is fine by me.

Yes 1.4 would be required for the DLC as well, but 1.4 contains content as has been announced, such as new languages.. and other things (not just about supporting the DLC), but unfortunately I cannot comment more about that at this time. Much as I would like to...

4 minutes ago, AbhChallenger said:

I have seen the Unity changelogs. What we don't know is how much of those changes are actually being implemented and how they will affect things.

For instance wasn't there a change to the way assets are loaded? Could this mean mods can be loaded as needed rather than all being loaded at startup? For those of us stuck on 8 gigs of RAM due to the insane prices right now this is very important.

What about Vulkan? newer versions of Unity support it. Will KSP take advantage of the benefits of CPU use?

As I said, details will be released in good time. But they cannot at this point in time.
I can tell you I guess at least this tidbit - there is no change to how assets are loaded in the game.

Interesting designs for the vintage suits. It looks like things are coming along. know this might also be a long shot but for those who like writing stories, is there a chance that we could get a "suit" design without the collar, or the collar being removable? That would really help. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.