3 touristsn'tour the station' for 18 days: Station size: 1!

I am being offered a contract to ferry 3 tourists to 'Isamund's Wreckage' and have them 'tour the station' there for 18 days. The 'Isamund's Wreckage' is a Mk.I command pod, left over from a rescue mission. It has a capacity of 1.

Is it possible to complete this mission by using a 'Claw' Advanced Grabbing Unit and locking a larger vessel to the Mk.I command pod, or would I need to play musical chairs in space for 54 hours?

Also, I have never seen this type of contract before. Is it new in 1.3.1?

1 hour ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

I am being offered a contract to ferry 3 tourists to 'Isamund's Wreckage' and have them 'tour the station' there for 18 days. The 'Isamund's Wreckage' is a Mk.I command pod, left over from a rescue mission. It has a capacity of 1.

Is it possible to complete this mission by using a 'Claw' Advanced Grabbing Unit and locking a larger vessel to the Mk.I command pod, or would I need to play musical chairs in space for 54 hours?

When you grab something with a klaw, the two ships become one in every metaphorical way. So that should always work.

Also, I have never seen this type of contract before. Is it new in 1.3.1?

No, this contract is from a mod of some sort. It's not stock.

7 hours ago, bewing said:

No, this contract is from a mod of some sort. It's not stock.

Any idea which one? And if not, are you really sure? I currently have no Contract Pack mods installed, nor are 'station tour contracts' mentioned in any of the mods feature lists that I have installed.

grep-ing various text from the contract details nets no clear winner.

Edited by The-Grim-Sleeper

Docking any craft to your station, either with the claw or with traditional docking ports, causes all joined craft to become one. The craft you dock to the station will become part of the station for the duration of time that it is connected and the contract should count all the Kerbals in both pods together towards the completion of the contract. I have successfully completed contracts in this fashion before.

You can double check that this is working if the contracts window shows a green check-mark in the box for "Have tourists on XX station" (or similar language) once you have docked with the station.

Sounds a bit like the Tourism Plus mod. Haven't tried it myself. Other possibility is that it's based on some sort of life support mod (otherwise that "18 days" thing sounds like more of an annoyance than a challenge).

I'm pretty sure that stock "expansion" contracts test for a docking port before asking you to do anything to a craft. Sounds like whatever mod this is should make the same check.

@The-Grim-Sleeper If you go into Mission Control and look under the Active tab you should see the full text of the contract offer. Near the top there should be a line marked "Agent" which would tell us the name of the agency that offered the contract. That would help in determining where the contract was generated. If you've finished it then it would appear in the "Completed" tab.

Edited by HvP

On 7-2-2018 at 12:22 AM, HvP said:

@The-Grim-Sleeper If you go into Mission Control and look under the Active tab you should see the full text of the contract offer. Near the top there should be a line marked "Agent" which would tell us the name of the agency that offered the contract. That would help in determining where the contract was generated. If you've finished it then it would appear in the "Completed" tab.

I thought that that 'agent group' is a random one selected from the available agencies and about as relevant for contract content as my Keester?

Here is a screengrab of the contract.

In any case, mod-List:

000_AT_Utils
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_Toolbar
001_ToolbarControl
AdjustableModPanel
BetterBurnTime
CameraFocusChanger
Chatterer
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
ConfigurableContainers
CrewPortraits-1.3.1
DatedQuickSaves
Diazo
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
EngineLight
FerramAerospaceResearch
Firespitter
FMRS
FShangarExtender              
HangarGrid                    
HLAirships
JanitorsCloset
KAS
KEI
KerbalEngineer
KIS
KSC
KSP-AVC
KSPRescuePodFix
MagiCore
MagicSmokeIndustries
MechJeb2
MechJebAndEngineerForAll.cfg
MMREADME.md
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.3.0.1.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
MouseAimFlight
NavUtilities continued
NavyFish
PersistentThrust
PreciseNode
QuickMods
ReCoupler
RecoveryController
SolarSailNavigator
Squad
StageRecovery
toolbar-settings.dat
Trajectories
TriggerTech
WBIPlayMode.cfg
WildBlueIndustries
[x] Science!

Edited by The-Grim-Sleeper

I thought that that 'agent group' is a random one selected from the available agencies and about as relevant for contract content as my Keester?

Heh! That's very true for stock contracts, but I'm not so sure about mods.

5 hours ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

Most contract mod makers substitute their own agency name for the contracts generated by their mods. That doesn't appear to be the case with yours as it uses a stock agent. I don't see anything in your mod list that should generate contracts outside of the stock system.

You should have no problem docking your tourist craft to the station for the required time to complete the contract. Also keep in mind that you don't have to have them all there simultaneously. You can bring them up one at a time if you want. Each tourist has their own contract history that will partially compete their section of the contract once they are recovered. When you've recovered the last tourist it will finalize it for the whole reward. It just takes a lot longer that way.

After a bit of educated guessing, I've found the answer: its the Wild Blue Industries set of mods, and I think, specifically, that WBITools set in your modlist.
One of the files I found on GitHub under Wild Blue Tools has the line "protected string DescMany = "A group of tourists would like to visit {0} for several days and then return home safely. It would be the experience of a lifetime!"...", which more or less guarantees that it's the mod in question.

So there you go.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:28 AM, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

This whole line of questions started because I wanted to complete this contract before a transfer window.

But I guess 'just try it' really is the correct answer here.

Well, my answer to you is more along the lines of "If it's a stock contract, it should work. If it's a modded contract, it should still work unless the mod maker did something I've never seen before."

And if you did everything right and it still doesn't complete then you can always cheat the contract completion in the ALT+F12 menu so that you don't have to worry about wasting your time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.