[1.9.*, 1.10.*, 1.11.*] DockRotate - lightweight robotics - rotational control on docking ports (plus NodeRotate, make any part rotate)

peteletroll

13 hours ago, peteletroll said:

@G_Creature, I can't reproduce your bug. Could you give me some more detail on how to reproduce it?

@peteletroll, yes, absolutely.

When spawned:

Spoiler

unknown.png

After grabbing and releasing the item:

Spoiler

unknown.png

It gets worse with repeated use and the misalignment increases.

13 hours ago, peteletroll said:

Do you have the last DockRotate version installed? You can check the DockRotate.version file.

Yes. It is the latest version.

Spoiler

},
    "VERSION": {
        "MAJOR": 1,
        "MINOR": 5,
        "PATCH": 1,
        "BUILD": 20
    },

Edited by G_Creature

So as I understand it, the only parts that the mod enables to rotate by default are the docking ports? I'm thinking of VTOL planes and that docking ports might not be strong enough for this purpose. How about an optional part that has a stronger connection and can rotate, for making VTOLS?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @peteletroll, kinda bringing up something from the past here (although word of warning, I am playing with a 1.4.5 install, so I'm not sure how this would be in 1.5/1.6). I went ahead and installed the Universal Docking Ports from back in the day, using this mirror-file Dropbox link provided by another forum user (while CaptainKipard hasn't returned to the forums for quite some time already). The ports work, they just don't have a DockRotate function despite the PAW in-flight having the toggle to activate it, and neither will any regular/stock port docked to it.  I've yet to test if installing Universal Docking Port will interfere with two stock ports or Konstruction ports docked together, but based on what I've read here so far my bet is that it wouldn't interfere (like DockRotate just needs to recognize the existence of a specific port part to bring up the functionality, if I guessed right). But I'm dropping a note here in case it might be useful or desirable want to have dock rotation functions with UDPs, for those who want to use UDPs. :) (Myself being one of them, of course, but that does bring up an interesting question: can DockRotate work with two different port parts docked together as would between UDPs and stock ports?)

5 hours ago, B-STRK said:

can DockRotate work with two different port parts docked together as would between UDPs and stock ports?

DockRotate works if the docked ports have the same nodeType specified in the ModuleDockingNode section in the cfg file.

1 hour ago, peteletroll said:

New release! Smart Autostruts optimizations, ad the usual bug fixing and random refactoring.

Still compiled on 1.5.1, if someone tries it on 1.6.0 please let me know how it goes.

@B-STRK, this could solve the Universal Docking Ports problem you reported. Feedback welcome as usual.

Good news, DockRotate .21 now works for UDPs in both UDP-stock port and UDP-UDP instances, both connected ports tested, and with mis-matched sizes as well, right up to continuous rotation. And this is with KSP 1.4.5, and MM 3.0.7.

Admittedly though I am still using the linuxgurugamer KJR fork, so for any updates involving the KJR/L fork someone with that install would have to try it out as well. 

(Pics of testing rig below, behind the pull-down)

Much thanks for the update @peteletroll!

Spoiler

The test rig (a bunch of mods tossed in, as you can see)

aTldu3F.png

UDP to UDP

jf46NF5.png

and UDP to stock (the stock active in this case being the SSPXr telescoping docking port which uses the standard Clamp-O, function), both active and passive roles (and the UDP Medium --> Clamp-O Jr. in the second pic is some Hot Skitty On Wailord Action right there--wait, I knew I should have tested with the UDP Extra-Large)

u6yXEYs.png

L28kal4.png

Edited by B-STRK

On 12/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, peteletroll said:

Still compiled on 1.5.1, if someone tries it on 1.6.0 please let me know how it goes. 

It works, but for some reason breaks right-click menu even for unrelated parts in VAB. Still pretty impressive. That\s me first time with the mod and it's awesome!

By the way, has anyone requested adding button to start uninterrupting rotation for all the centrifugal needs?

EDIT:  Found this thread:

I will investigate the matter, it's possible that your mod works nicely in 1.6 and I just encountered totally unrelated bug.

Edited by nothingSpecial

• 2 weeks later...