[1.9.*, 1.10.*, 1.11.*] DockRotate - lightweight robotics - rotational control on docking ports (plus NodeRotate, make any part rotate)

peteletroll

I rarely have an issue with DockRotate but currently a craft that has worked for DR fine isn't working now.  I haven't made any changes.  The "rotate clockwise (+)" and "rotate counterclockwise (-)" are not appearing in the Part Action Window, but all other DR related things are there; the enable/disable rotate works "clicks" fine for example.

I did find these in the log, but other than these there are no DR relate errors or warnings.  Any ideas?

[WRN 00:43:08.150] Cannot create config from file '/home/marty/ksp1.11.2/KSP_linux/GameData/DockRotate/DockRotate-Realism.cfg'.
[WRN 00:43:08.150] Cannot create config from file '/home/marty/ksp1.11.2/KSP_linux/GameData/DockRotate/NodeRotate.cfg'.

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

I rarely have an issue with DockRotate but currently a craft that has worked for DR fine isn't working now.  I haven't made any changes.  The "rotate clockwise (+)" and "rotate counterclockwise (-)" are not appearing in the Part Action Window, but all other DR related things are there; the enable/disable rotate works "clicks" fine for example.

I did find these in the log, but other than these there are no DR relate errors or warnings.  Any ideas?

[WRN 00:43:08.150] Cannot create config from file '/home/marty/ksp1.11.2/KSP_linux/GameData/DockRotate/DockRotate-Realism.cfg'.
[WRN 00:43:08.150] Cannot create config from file '/home/marty/ksp1.11.2/KSP_linux/GameData/DockRotate/NodeRotate.cfg'.

Have you checked read/write permissions on ../GameData/DockRotate/ folder ? Assuming that it is your personal computer, it should be safe to put 777 mod on that folder. Otherwise, it might be issue with DLL not being loaded properly and to confirm that you should provide full log to see what is going on. Some plugins fail to load properly if some other plugin from other mod failed to load before DockRotate and following mods.

44 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Have you checked read/write permissions on ../GameData/DockRotate/ folder ? Assuming that it is your personal computer, it should be safe to put 777 mod on that folder. Otherwise, it might be issue with DLL not being loaded properly and to confirm that you should provide full log to see what is going on. Some plugins fail to load properly if some other plugin from other mod failed to load before DockRotate and following mods.

I can't imagine what would have changed the perms there.  I'm on linux and haven't type "chmod" or "chgrp" in about a year.  Can module manager or other change perms?

[Edit]  Neither of us read the WRN message close enough.  It isn't a perm error, it is the fact that both files end in .cfg and yet neither file has any config statements as they are example files and completely commented out.  So there are zero WRN, EXC, or ERR msg in KSP log for DR.  Hmmm.  I'll try rebooting later as that is the path of least effort and nothing has been updated or altered install-wise since it worked fine.  Probably spurious inductance from a cosmic ray hitting a bit that stuck up too far above the rest

Edited by darthgently

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

I can't imagine what would have changed the perms there.  I'm on linux and haven't type "chmod" or "chgrp" in about a year.  Can module manager or other change perms?

[Edit]  Neither of us read the WRN message close enough.  It isn't a perm error, it is the fact that both files end in .cfg and yet neither file has any config statements as they are example files and completely commented out.  So there are zero WRN, EXC, or ERR msg in KSP log for DR.  Hmmm.  I'll try rebooting later as that is the path of least effort and nothing has been updated or altered install-wise since it worked fine.  Probably spurious inductance from a cosmic ray hitting a bit that stuck up too far above the rest

Yes, WRN might be harmless, but lately I saw similar of those warning in other people logs when it happened after some plugins (assemblies) failed to load properly. So, check if you have some of those errors, most often within 1/3 from begining of log file.

Edited by kcs123
typo

• 1 month later...

Is "rotate to snap" supposed to always achieve perfect alignment?  It mostly does for me, but often doesn't and instead gets somewhere below 0.2 degrees, but not zero.
Also, does the stock dock rotation in 1.12.x play well with DR?  I'm having an issue where ports that were aligned, are misaligning somewhere < 0.2d within the same scene (no leaving scene and coming back etc)

On 6/28/2021 at 4:06 AM, peteletroll said:

After some testing in 1.12, it looks like it's working. I'll release a recompiled version soon™.

It has some problems when used together with the new stock rotation: if you rotate with DR then with stock, or vice versa, you get weird results. So, until I find a workaround, please use just one of them at a time!

Is there a setting to turn off 1.12 stock rotation functionality?  It seems to be interfering even if I don't touch it in the PAW

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Is there a setting to turn off 1.12 stock rotation functionality?  It seems to be interfering even if I don't touch it in the PAW

Nvrmnd, further searching led me to the mod that fixes a lot of this.  Trying it now.  If I'm behind the curve and this mod doesn't work I won't be offended if you delete this post with the link to it. 

Thanks for all the work, very much appreciated.

https://github.com/KSPModdingLibs/KSPCommunityFixes

Edited by darthgently

19 hours ago, darthgently said:

Nvrmnd, further searching led me to the mod that fixes a lot of this.  Trying it now.  If I'm behind the curve and this mod doesn't work I won't be offended if you delete this post with the link to it. 

Thanks for all the work, very much appreciated.

https://github.com/KSPModdingLibs/KSPCommunityFixes

There is another community fix for same issue. You might want to try that one if KSP Community fixes does not solve issue.

3 hours ago, kcs123 said:

There is another community fix for same issue. You might want to try that one if KSP Community fixes does not solve issue.

I tried that one and it also disappeared the DockRotate (the mod, not the stock rotation) options from the PAW and too many of the craft in my current game require dock rotate (dock port mounted engine pods etc) where alignment is critical.  I also tend to lean to solution that are hosted on CKAN for maintenance sanity reasons.

But how does DockRotate avoid the magic accelerations?  Or sure seems to avoid them in my game

Edited by darthgently

22 hours ago, darthgently said:

I tried that one and it also disappeared the DockRotate (the mod, not the stock rotation) options from the PAW and too many of the craft in my current game require dock rotate (dock port mounted engine pods etc) where alignment is critical.  I also tend to lean to solution that are hosted on CKAN for maintenance sanity reasons.

But how does DockRotate avoid the magic accelerations?  Or sure seems to avoid them in my game

DockRotate seems to use an entirely different ~~and better~~ rotation system than Stock.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, darthgently said:

The "rotate clockwise (+)" and "rotate counterclockwise (-)" are not appearing in the Part Action Window, but all other DR related things are there; the enable/disable rotate works "clicks" fine for example.

Did you resolve this issue?  I am having the same problem.  I'm using 1.10.3, and have no warnings that I've spotted!

Thanks

4 minutes ago, eatU4myT said:

Did you resolve this issue?  I am having the same problem.  I'm using 1.10.3, and have no warnings that I've spotted!

Thanks

As I recall, exiting/reentering the game did it at the time.  But it might also have been in combination with this mod to address stock dock rotation issues. https://github.com/KSPModdingLibs/KSPCommunityFixes .  Do not mix usage of stock rotation and DR.  Disable stock rotation in the PAW for each port.  But honestly, I can't remember what caused that issue to come and go at this point.

• 1 month later...

Have used this excellent mod for some time now, but something's recently gone wrong with it. When I rotate to snap a docking port, the rotation angle changes as usual on the docking port pop-up but nothing actually rotates. Then the whole vessel suddenly starts to spin wildly. Now the mod is unusable. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. No change.

Has this been seen before and there's a simple fix I'm missing, or do I need to provide a list of mods, etc. please?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:10 PM, wrdiffin said:

Have used this excellent mod for some time now, but something's recently gone wrong with it. When I rotate to snap a docking port, the rotation angle changes as usual on the docking port pop-up but nothing actually rotates. Then the whole vessel suddenly starts to spin wildly. Now the mod is unusable. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. No change.

Has this been seen before and there's a simple fix I'm missing, or do I need to provide a list of mods, etc. please?

I have the same problem here

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 4:35 PM, fengyuan0529 said:

I have the same problem here

On 7/20/2022 at 9:11 AM, Nicky21 said:

Lately this mod has been broken for me as well. It no longer rotates.

I use this mod frequently without issues. I am using 1.10.1.50, what version are you using?

@peteletroll One of the frustrations that I have with stock EVA construction is getting parts to line up, and ModuleNodeRotate works well to solve the problem. I am wondering if it's possible to have a version that works only during EVA Construction, such that the nodes can't be rotated when not in construction mode. Possibly a "finalize rotation" would disable the controls as well. Would this be possible?

• 5 months later...

What causes the options to "rotate clockwise (+)" and "rotate counterclockwise (-)" to NOT appear in the right-click part action window.  Is this a career limitation, as in some building needs to be upgraded? 

What are the conditions in which they are available?  I can set the step, the speed, reverse rotation, set flip flop mode, and rotate to snap, but no rotate cw/ccw.  This is in a fairly early career game

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a known limitation where DockRotate sometimes resets rotation? It happened to a station after jumping to it from the KSC view (using a KAC alarm), and also after using timewarp while flying the station.

The unwanted rotation is gentle, at the usual DockRotate speed and accompanied by the rotation sound effect.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/20/2023 at 3:15 PM, averageidiot said:

Help, it won't work. Worked a few minutes ago and now "Rotate Counter Clockwise" and "Rotate Clockwise" won't show up.

Welcome to the forums.  We have no idea what might be going on because you  haven't provide much information.  Please read and follow: