[1.9.*, 1.10.*, 1.11.*] DockRotate - lightweight robotics - rotational control on docking ports (plus NodeRotate, make any part rotate)

peteletroll

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I like it. :)

Is there a mass limit for NodeRotate? I am researching ways to set up a launchpad such that you back the rocket onto the strongback and then rotate the strongback. I can get it to work with BG robotics but I'm also looking at NodeRotate as an alternative.

Context:

3De9zoh.png

This vehicle's dry mass is 50 metric tons.

56 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Is there a mass limit for NodeRotate?

DockRotate and NodeRotate don't change joint strength: if your strongback doesn't break without NodeRotate, it won't break with NodeRotate. Some autostruts are removed during motion though, so the structure may be weaker while moving.

52 minutes ago, peteletroll said:

DockRotate and NodeRotate don't change joint strength: if your strongback doesn't break without NodeRotate, it won't break with NodeRotate. Some autostruts are removed during motion though, so the structure may be weaker while moving.

Awesome! That means that I can make two versions of the launchpad, one suited for BG robotics and one suited for NodeRotate. Thanks again :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After being hit by the undock bug (undocking ports doesn't work, and may cause null reference exceptions), I'm including some sanity checks. DockRotate can highlight the "troublesome" docking port configurations in red, based on my experience while recovering my precious savefile. It helped me a lot.

This could be in next release. Anybody interested?

Looks like a missing valorization of ModuleDockingNode.otherNode causes bugs with multiple docking crafts. Filling it with ModuleDockingNode.FindOtherNode() appears to fix them.

Some more testing, and I'll include the fix in the next release.

Edited by peteletroll

On 6/23/2020 at 6:24 AM, peteletroll said:

After being hit by the undock bug (undocking ports doesn't work, and may cause null reference exceptions), I'm including some sanity checks. DockRotate can highlight the "troublesome" docking port configurations in red, based on my experience while recovering my precious savefile. It helped me a lot.

This could be in next release. Anybody interested?

Yes, please

32 minutes ago, peteletroll said:

Some more testing, and I'll include the fix in the next release

Do you have an ETA?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do you have an ETA?

Here's a dll especially for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iwryKSolAZsfNkjlsHBIuUI8Jpiqf15i/view?usp=sharing

It doesn't try to fix the issues it finds (yet), but highlights problematic ports in red and shows useful info in the log.

Try typing "/dr check" in the debug console for extra data.

14 minutes ago, peteletroll said:

Here's a dll especially for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iwryKSolAZsfNkjlsHBIuUI8Jpiqf15i/view?usp=sharing

It doesn't try to fix the issues it finds (yet), but highlights problematic ports in red and shows useful info in the log.

Try typing "/dr check" in the debug console for extra data.

Lol, I won't be able to do anything until Sunday at the earliest, but thanks.  Was only trying to get an idea of when you would release, didn't mean to have it seem like any pressure

@peteletroll I am seeing this message every time I load a couple different craft DockRotate found problems with some docking ports *** Check the Log ***.  The messages in the log are meaningless to me without more explanation even if the explanation is just on your github wiki.  I think throwing scary messages at the general player is just going to freak them out and generate more support questions than it's worth.

Personally I've had docking port problems twice in thousands of hours.  I do not have any issues currently, so the message is a nuisance. The situation that I think is triggering it in my case is using a docking port as a one time decoupler. I do this frequently and two of the craft throwing this error are using docking ports in this manner.

Instead of running this check every time a scene loads I think a better implementation would be to run it on demand as a PAW Menu option: "Port Debug Inspection". 

Also the red highlighting times out too quickly. My craft that get flagged are very big making it hard to figure out what is being flagged before it times out.  The highlighter should be an on/off toggle or much longer timeout.  It is short enough I haven't been able to get a handle on all the problem ports or even a decent screencap on the station below, but the ones I've seen have all been ones with parts attached.

19uxtvs.jpg

5 hours ago, peteletroll said:

New release! This fixes @Tonka Crash's bug.

Had a problem last night (logs are lost).  A modded career, I had a docking port on the front of the Mk1-3, and another docking port inside a KIS container.  Not sure where the error was coming from, I'll try to save the logs next time (was in the middle of a stream).