Jump to content

Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion thread


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Where was Kira in Episode 8?  And DARTH MAUL

Given Maul’s tendencies of beheading people involved in criminal syndicates I don’t think Qi’ra has a happy long life ahead of her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Wait!  If Maul survived being chopped in half...

I don't think this is a spoiler... But according to the animated Star Wars: Rebels..

Spoiler

Maul did survive, yes, and much like with Darth Vader's arms and legs, Maul became mechanical from the waist down.

 

Edited by Just Jim
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Wait!  If Maul survived being chopped in half...

maxresdefault.jpg

I just hope they make Snoke more of a character whether he survived that or not, he's barely been used in the story so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Total weekend estimates are in:

 

 

To break even the movie is going to need AT LEAST $600 million (Production costs are estimated at $300 million, and theaters take roughly half of the ticket price so the rule of thumb is 2x the production cost for break even). At this rate its going to struggle to make $400 million.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I don't think this is a spoiler... But according to the animated Star Wars: Rebels..

  Reveal hidden contents

Maul did survive, yes, and much like with Darth Vader's arms and legs, Maul became mechanical from the waist down.

 

Spoiler

Maul’s return was covered in The Clone Wars, not Rebels. However, the latter had Maul return 7 years after the events of Solo, and it raises some interesting questions.

Spoiler

3 years before the Battle of Yavin, Maul is found stranded on the post-apocalyptic Sith planet of Malachor by Ezra Bridger after he and two other Jedi (Kanan and Ahsoka) travel to the planet, sent there by Yoda himself. Ezra is separated from the others and finds Maul in some kind of underground labyrinth. Maul claims that he’s been stranded on the planet for some time and has absolutely nothing left of his once great power due to the Empire and the Sith. He attempts to seduce Ezra to become his apprentice and is successful at blinding Kanan and getting Ezra to re-activate the doomsday weapon that decimated Malachor millennia prior. However, his plans to use the weapon to kill all his enemies (basically everyone at this point) is foiled, partially by Darth Vader, whose Inquisitors had reported to their master before bein slaughtered by Maul. After this, he shows no signs of being a leader of a powerful criminal syndicate, instead trying to track down Kenobi and finish what he started in the Clone Wars. This leaves an interesting question: what the heck happened to Maul between Solo and Rebels? Was the Crimson Dawn destroyed by Palpatine and the Empire, or was it still active but Maul did his best to make sure Ezra didn’t find out? It seems like Maul was likely lying to Ezra about, well, pretty much everything, trying to make himself look like just another victim of the Empire’s cruelty - something Ezra would understand, and something that would help Maul seduce him.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler
4 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Maul’s return was covered in The Clone Wars, not Rebels

 

Spoiler

OK, I missed that part... But I haven't seen all of Clone Wars yet. But you're right, it raises some really interesting questions.

 

Edited by Just Jim
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, DAL59 said:

Wait!  If Maul survived being chopped in half...

maxresdefault.jpg

Spoiler

No, Snoke would not survive. Maul was in top physical condition when he was chopped in half, so it wasn’t immediately fatal and he could use the Dark Side of the Force to keep him alive before it was too late. Snoke, however, is extremely weak physically due to being several hundred years old (his general age was confirmed by the actor that played him). No matter how strong Snoke was in the Force, a blow like that to his incredibly weak body would be almost instantly fatal.

Also, please do not mention Maul outside of spoiler tabs. We can’t let the KSP forums become filled with spoilers like the rest of the Internet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the movie. Don't know the main actor and never seen any of his movies but he did really good IMO. I think Rogue One and Solo are better than the sequels. Feels like in the sequels they are trying to play on nostalgia (like the "reskinned" Hoth battle in TLJ) and these independent SW Stories feel like something new and original.

Edit: Here's a Reddit rant, I guess: I really hate how that site overhypes things that end up mediocre (Bitcoin, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi) and hate on things that aren't actually bad, like Solo. It's a shame that this kind of mob mentality has such impact on things (I still hope Solo isn't a flop though). I also see the love for Ewan McGregor in r/prequelmemes (though it's become more of a meme but I really like the guy and think he was a good Obi) and I bet they will be very unhappy once the movie arrives. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Anyway, I saw Reddit comments about Solo, didn't listen, went to the cinema, came out very happy, uninstalled the Reddit app.

Edited by Wjolcz
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

I liked the movie. Don't know the main actor and never seen any of his movies but he did really good IMO. I think Rogue One and Solo are better than the sequels. Feels like in the sequels they are trying to play on nostalgia (like the "reskinned" Hoth battle in TLJ) and these independent SW Stories feel like something new and original.

Edit: Here's a Reddit rant, I guess: I really hate how that site overhypes things that end up mediocre (Bitcoin, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi) and hate on things that aren't actually bad, like Solo. It's a shame that this kind of mob mentality has such impact on things (I still hope Solo isn't a flop though). I also see the love for Ewan McGregor in r/prequelmemes (though it's become more of a meme but I really like the guy and think he was a good Obi) and I bet they will be very unhappy once the movie arrives. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Anyway, I saw Reddit comments about Solo, didn't listen, went to the cinema, came out very happy, uninstalled the Reddit app.

Solo hate on Reddit? I haven’t found any. Most of the Solo comments I’ve seen on r/Prequelmemes are positive. Same thing with YouTube comments, even though the comments section was pretty hostile after The Last Jedi. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Solo hate on Reddit? I haven’t found any. Most of the Solo comments I’ve seen on r/Prequelmemes are positive. Same thing with YouTube comments, even though the comments section was pretty hostile after The Last Jedi. 

I'm talking before the release. But then I didn't really search for any info and opinions on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got out of the movie and I may need to reflect on it a bit but first impression: LOVED IT.

I don't see the need for spoilers being hidden in this thread. Only those expecting spoilers would come here. At least, I avoided it until now. Spoiling it in the spacecraft exchange is bad, spoiling it here is expected.

That said I'll go with the majority and until there is one err on the side of caution. My favorite part is and will likely remain how

Spoiler

the classic Star Wars music kicked in the moment Han took control of The Falcon for the first time.

 

Edited by 5thHorseman
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, Just Jim said:

I don't think this is a spoiler... But according to the animated Star Wars: Rebels..

  Reveal hidden contents

Maul did survive, yes, and much like with Darth Vader's arms and legs, Maul became mechanical from the waist down.

 

 

Spoiler

Yes. He originally survived in the Star Wars: the clone wars animated show, which was carried on to Rebels, which carried on to Solo.

Don't worry, Obi wan kills him. For real this time.

Also...

STOP HATING EVERY NEW MOVIE! SOLO IS A GOOD MOVIE! STOP HATING IT!

(cursing warning) 

"8/10. Stop being mean."

Edited by obney kerman
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Is that Empire At War?

Homeworld. And I thought the same thing. Though, it is probably pretty safe to say that if Star Wars hadn't existed, Homeworld would have at least had a different aesthetic to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Homeworld. And I thought the same thing. Though, it is probably pretty safe to say that if Star Wars hadn't existed, Homeworld would have at least had a different aesthetic to it.

Ok. Cause the graphics looked a bit like EAW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

That's the Pride of Hiigara, the mothership in Homeworld.  

McKenna's Pride is a superior vessel, imho. It's the tomb of the Protector.

Edited by Bill Phil
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I’m not sure what the point of vertically oriented spacecraft is. It seems to me it would be difficult to keep upright when landed, especially on an uneven surface or windy conditions. Sure, tech can overcome that, but what about in a total power failure?

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...