Maelstrom - Medium SSTO

IMPORTANT: READ LANDING GEAR FIX AT BOTTOM OF PAGE!

CRAFT FILE(s): https://goo.gl/aRREeV

qOFiWkz.jpg

Presenting the Maelstrom; a twin engine SSTO that combines high performance, sleek looks and exceptional handling. :wink: 

z4Vs6vq.jpg

Putting out 2.7k in LKO (3.3k Max Vacuum Output), the Maelstrom has the range to pull off return missions to the Mun as well as ferry itself to distant colonies in the Jool system.

1HJ7WGX.jpg

Taking advantage of the four nodes in the materials bay has allowed the engines and fuel tanks to be mounted in a single stack. In short this thing cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter and getting it to orbit really is a doddle. :) 

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engines

2 - Switch Modes

9 - Deploy Rudders/Airbrake

0 - Open Cockpit Doors/Airbrake

ABORT - Emergency Control Surface Deployment - Nose Up

SUGGESTED ASCENT PROFILE:

OWNERS GUIDE:

As with all my designs a Joystick is highly recommend and the SAS should be left on at all times.

The Canards are disabled at launch as the Delta Delux Winglets provide enough torque for take-offs. The Canards should be reactivated (Pitch And Roll) when aero braking, entering an atmosphere or landing on Kerbin/Laythe/Duna.

While the handling is pretty forgiving it's possible to enter a spin at low speeds while trying to Roll and Pitch Up or Down. To this end ensure you have enough airflow over the wings.

The handling is sluggish in deep space due to the singe reaction wheel, however the craft is a lot more manoeuvrable with the engines running.

Try to conserve electricity where possible, ensure lights are off when not needed and that the cockpit doors are open once the craft is in a vacuum.

2QrWk3K.jpg

Like the Vortex the Maelstrom uses Round 8 tanks for the majority of its oxidiser supply.

The craft is relatively heat resistant, the weak link being the pre-coolers which should be monitored during ascent. 

Deploy the landing gear to help slow the craft down at high speeds and use the cockpit doors as an airbrake at med/low speeds.

The rudders can also function as airbrakes (9) but this will result in Yaw instability.

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

LANDING GEAR FIX:

The one big drawback of these designs is that the landing gear can become mangled while quick saving/loading due to a bug in KSP. :( 

KLwQzsQ.jpg

Fortunately there is a fix, as well as measures you can take to prevent the issue occurring in the first place.

dYIBgTk.jpg

The bug only rears its ugly head when the craft is saved in flight with a Kerbal at the controls. For this reason always EVA your Kerbal before saving. Having your Kerbal outside the craft and quick saving/loading will also fix any issues with an affected craft.

2cRfWJZ.jpg

This bug only affects vessels in flight so quick saving/loading while parked up on the ground should not result in any issues.

Edited by Cupcake...

2 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Taking advantage of the four nodes in the materials bay has allowed the engines and fuel tanks to be mounted in a single stack. In short this thing cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter and getting it to orbit really is a doddle.

This I find very confusing. Care to explain in more detail?

4 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

This I find very confusing. Care to explain in more detail?

Here goes. The back of the Rapier engines are mounted to the two attachment points inside the materials bay before being offset to the back of the craft. The Pre-Cooler/Shock Cones etc are then attached to the Rapier engines front nodes. Does that make sense? :P 

3 hours ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

Took it on a quick jaunt to Duna. Crashed upon attempting to land. 

Getting there is half the battle I guess! :) 

Cupcake...

• 2 years later...

I loaded this craft file up in KSP 1.9 and all the part clipping had undone itself. I tried re-downloading the file, and that didn't help. I tried to fix it and clip everything back together, but I can't get it to not be back-heavy.

The same thing happened with the Vortex. 

Edited by MoonstreamInSpace

Some posts have been removed. This forum does not have a rule against posting in old threads. If the info in the thread is obsolete, we moderators will close it. But there's no need for people to mock their fellow forum members simply for being interested in something which happens to be in an older thread. 

On 5/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, MoonstreamInSpace said:

I loaded this craft file up in KSP 1.9 and all the part clipping had undone itself. I tried re-downloading the file, and that didn't help. I tried to fix it and clip everything back together, but I can't get it to not be back-heavy.

The same thing happened with the Vortex. 

I’m afraid this craft and the Vortex aren’t compatible with the latest version as the size of Round 8 tanks has been increased. My latest SSTO design is the Akula which will work with 1.9. The link can be found in the video description. 

All the best.

Cupcake...

https://youtu.be/RzeXzR8W1to

Here’s the suggested ascent profile: 

https://youtu.be/1YqLwXFfGl4

Edited by Cupcake...

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 10:28 AM, Cupcake... said:

I’m afraid this craft and the Vortex aren’t compatible with the latest version as the size of Round 8 tanks has been increased. My latest SSTO design is the Akula which will work with 1.9. The link can be found in the video description. 

All the best.

Cupcake...

https://youtu.be/RzeXzR8W1to

Here’s the suggested ascent profile: 

https://youtu.be/1YqLwXFfGl4

I'm going to try to fix it, but I've also tried some of your newer ships and I really like them as well!

18 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Good luck! If you're after another current SSTO design check out the Scythe Mk3. ;)

Thanks! I'm still trying to not make it tip back when fully fueled. I will check out the Scythe. It looks pretty cool.

(Also, if it works, I may try to launch the Maelstrom from a Hiesenburg blimp if it fits)

2 hours ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

One more question: How do you land efficently when there is no atmoshere? I can't seem to replicate how you did it in the Maelstrom showcase video.

You basically have to forget about the wings and land it as though you're landing a rocket.

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.