Shuttles docked to space station picture thread

Geonovast

I just love the look of a space shuttle docked to a space station.   Stations are always cool to begin with, but there's just something about the realisticish shuttles docked.  Might have something to do with spending too much time this past weekend watching STS mission launches and summaries.  Some of my favorites:

screenshot583.png

screenshot597.png

screenshot601.png

Whatcha got?

A6F8F4824921BE5E45D8657E3AA24CCDEDBF4D18

An image of a space station I made today docked with a fuel transport shuttle from my minar refinery station. The station features a few solar panels, the primary thrusters I used to get it up there in the first place, and space for 4 crew, plus 4 escape pods that can undock from the station and land safely on Kerbin. There are also a large number of docking ports on the sides that I can use to expand the station. The large tank is almost completely full of liquid fuel.

Its not much like the space shuttle, but

npTROyYh.jpg

Others, all done in a 3x rescaled system, so the SSTOs had to be much larger.

Spoiler

2mpAkyhh.jpg

ro19kcWh.jpg

0JXV3oah.jpg

QjJzx0k.jpg

Ok that last one may not count, and this next one is just a rendevous with the shuttle carrying more station modules as payload

Jd4AV7O.jpg

Here's one of my latest shuttle designs, docked at a very old; early game fueling depot.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Wish I had taken a better picture of it actually docked. It's hard to see the Klaw gripping it's belly in any of these.

The depot was so old in fact I had to send up a special adapter module so the shuttle could even dock. Here's me assembling it with the stations "orbital fork truck."

Leaving dock to go on it's double Munar Kerbal rescue mission. (You'll notice the Shuttle has no RCS. This was a manual belly dock...very hair raising lol. Once you are committed, there is no making adjustments.)

I tend to be totally crazy of this some time ago.

My oldest shuttle ever, Arethuse:

iTIVYxJ.png

Kolibri Mk IB with Columbia

5f9bJ04.png

Kolibri Mk. II

yjTYsey.png

Demeter

YO3tJFa.png

Eos, which is still my little favorite

LNn30Fb.png

Kolibri Mk IV

IJSTA24.png

Nephthys, my tiniest ever.

1z1ngeS.png

Diane

sz2qTFC.png

Adikia

fJs64ag.png

Edited by XB-70A

On 2/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, XB-70A said:

Adikia

fJs64ag.png

It's so cute!  Are you sure these are yours though?  I mean, I'm not seeing any fairings...

On 2/7/2018 at 1:55 PM, Sylith said:

Here is my spacestation "Bob One" with a support shuttle docked. Wow, this picture is really old...this station was build march 2014 :0.0:

Looks great though!  Shuttle an SSTO plane?  Looks too complex to get strapped to a rocket.

Edited by Geonovast

On 9.2.2018 at 7:26 PM, Geonovast said:

Looks great though!  Shuttle an SSTO plane?  Looks too complex to get strapped to a rocket.

Yes, it's a SStO shuttle.

In those days you can use stacked air intakes to reach high altitudes with airpowered engines .

And no heat damage allowed you to reach nearly orbital velocity :cool:

On 2/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, Geonovast said:

It's so cute!  Are you sure these are yours though?  I mean, I'm not seeing any fairings...

Ayy, I get it!

Does look his style though.

On 2/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, Geonovast said:

I didn't post any screenshot with, but...

kSpEbkd.png

GLORY TO THE FAIRINGS.

Or, it's also working as an E.T. too...

YUsISoY.png

This, actually, is the reason why I love the Eos shuttle so much.

I tried to make a pure fairing fuselage on another shuttle also, but it failed miserably following the re-enter. The air resistance was so low that the elevons were not even able to correct the Y-angle... on another hand, the fairing belly was giving a total protection against the heat. Too bad it didn't worth the price to keep on testing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.