So I just bought a pair of Logitech T16000Ms and I was excited to have one stick for pitch and roll and a second for translation but I can't seem to get axis from the second joystick to assign.   It seems to be that the problem is related to the fact that both joysticks are identical and have the same name in windows.  I confirmed this with another joystick I have in my collection.  One that I don't really want to use.  I'd prefer not buying another controller if I don't have to.  

What I'm really asking about is if this is a problem that can be solved with a work around or future update.  

Any info would be appreciated.

You could try the procedure described in the link below, which allows changing the 'friendly name' of each device (the name shown in the control panel/device manager). But this will only work if KSP also refers to the joysticks by that name... I don't know if that is the case.

Warning: note that it requires using regedit, so take precautions to ensure you can undo what you change, just in case (save the registry keys you're going to edit, make backups, take notes, etc)

https://www.avoiderrors.net/rename-devices-device-manager/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.