Getting a rover onto Minmus?

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

For exploration though, if you're putting on an engine, IMO you might as well go the whole hog and make a lander instead of a rover. 

For most practical purposes rovers are..well, impractical. But maybe the player want to use it anyway, or he is using mod (e.g. Bon Voyage) to make it more viable. Anyway, is an option.

2 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

What's an Elcana circumnavigation?

3 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Every use who has ever done an Elcana circumnavigation of a low gravity body is face palming.

And everybody who hasn't wonders why.

I assume massive rovers so they stay down better, which seems excessive for this case, but I'll admit to not having given it much thought outside my several failed Minmus rover attempts over the years coupled with the many roverless successes on Minmus bases.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:46 PM, Gargamel said:

Actually since it's Minmus, lose the entire rover. It won't work there and you'll just become sad and frustrated.

That seems weird to me. I put rovers on Minimus all the time. Granted I build wide using a M-2x2 Structural Panel with the Probodobodyne RoveMate and batteries underneath to keep the center of mass low, but I have never found rovers all that frustrating on Minimus. Here is a rover (in this case with four TR-2L Ruggedized Vehicular Wheels) I landed on the flats and took up into the mountains without any issue.

34937386195_a821399db1.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

36 minutes ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

I have never found rovers all that frustrating on Minimus. 

What am I doing wrong?

If it works for you, nothing wrong. :wink: 

Just that different people, have different expectations and different experiences.

I've driven rovers on Minmus, but honestly flying on it is *much* easier. You can keep the wheels for landing gear and short-haul stuff, but if you're travelling any distance at all, fire up the rockets and put yourself into an orbit or suborbit hop. You can make a dozen of those with a trivial amount of fuel.

I designed a go anywhere rover back in 1.0. But I used an adapted version in 1.2. This is shipped with a tug carrier where you can fit 4 of them.

Bit of advice :

• on high gravity bodies, turn using steering
  • on low gravity bodies, turn using reaction wheels,

I did a mun circumnavigation at x4 speed with a crewed version.

Edited by Warzouz

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 9:59 PM, foamyesque said:

I've driven rovers on Minmus, but honestly flying on it is *much* easier. You can keep the wheels for landing gear and short-haul stuff, but if you're travelling any distance at all, fire up the rockets and put yourself into an orbit or suborbit hop. You can make a dozen of those with a trivial amount of fuel.

Yeah.  I find that if I am doing excursions on Minmus, I use the kerbal's EVA pack.  Going via ground won't be the best, especially because of the little friction.  Your lower weight(due to the low gravity) will result in a much smaller Fn than one might expect, and dramatically decreases how much F you will experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.