Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - Release Date Announcement

SQUAD

On 7.2.2018 at 9:09 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The DLC requires 1.4, which will be released at the same time.

So, the answer is that it depends.  Parts mods will probably be ok.  Mods with included DLLs (ie:  code), may work, it depends on what changes are made in the API

I expect 0. With 1.4 unity engine will be updated to unity2017. 

We need to update our development setups and all depending assets, then we can compile everything. 

1 minute ago, Ger_space said:

I expect 0. With 1.4 unity engine will be updated to unity2017. 

We need to update our development setups and all depending assets, then we can compile everything. 

Well, not to knock Squad, but they said they wouldn't be making changes for 1.3.1, and then they found something they needed to change.  So, until I can actually see and play with it, I'm reserving judgement.

Assuming no changes, I should be able to get a bunch out quickly, but will slow down as I add all of my mods to my Jenkins server (not all there yet)

4 hours ago, klesh said:

I won't be buying it; if you have no interest in the mission creator then it amounts to a $15 parts pack, most of which is already available for free.

Fair enough, you shouldn't buy it if it's not worth the money to you. There's a bit more to it than parts, though. I'm personally looking forward to the (hopefully educational) historical missions that it comes with and being able to download and play challenges made by the community.

8 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Fair enough, you shouldn't buy it if it's not worth the money to you. There's a bit more to it than parts, though. I'm personally looking forward to the (hopefully educational) historical missions that it comes with and being able to download and play challenges made by the community.

Indeed, value is subjective, to be sure.

To me, it feels like half the expansion is just a tool to let the community make cool missions; things that should be the responsibility of Squad to do.  Its feels akin to them having let the mod community flesh out the game instead of Squad doing things like schmelta-vee, robotic parts, and some decent clouds etc.

I also wouldn't want, for instance a "planet generator tool DLC", I would rather Squad put in cool planets.  But hey, thats just me. :)

1 hour ago, klesh said:

To me, it feels like half the expansion is just a tool to let the community make cool missions; things that should be the responsibility of Squad to do.  Its feels akin to them having let the mod community flesh out the game instead of Squad doing things like schmelta-vee, robotic parts, and some decent clouds etc.

Most games that have campaigns and missions in them used an editor tool to create that content, and it is usually included with the game (Starcraft, for example).  KSP didn’t have missions yet because @SQUAD didn’t have that tool yet. Now that they’ve gone to the trouble of creating said tool, they’ve tried to make it easy to use,  so everyone can use it (sounds like it’s easier to use than the StarCraft map editor). Along with the Mission Creator, they are also including some missions created by Squad, presumably using the MC. One would hope that they will continue to create and release detailed missions, hopefully as an official “mission-of-the-week” (not user created). Am I on the right track, @Darth Badie?

Speaking of missions, there’s been no word on how they will be shared. I hope there’s a better plan than “Post your Dropbox link here,” preferably an in-game ‘net connection to Squad’s KerbNet mission server, complete with leaderboards. I really hope T2 doesn’t get fixated on mission-pack DLCs, because they might find that a hard sell

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, klesh said:

To me, it feels like half the expansion is just a tool to let the community make cool missions; things that should be the responsibility of Squad to do.  Its feels akin to them having let the mod community flesh out the game instead of Squad doing things like schmelta-vee, robotic parts, and some decent clouds etc. (...)

Imagine the opposite; 1.4 comes out with an exciting new feature: "mission packs" and it is released together with the first DLC for the friendly price of $10: "Making History"

Mind you, in this scenario the DLC does not contain a mission builder and is missions only in an encrypted format that cannot be reverse engineered (easily); Squad also promises to produce more mission packs in the future.

(a) The KSP Community will be delighted: finally content without us having to mod it ourselves; Squad is doing it for us!
(b) The KSP Community will be enraged because "T2 is already locking up the game and killing modding"
(c) The KSP Community will be enraged because... well, it doesn't matter what Squad does; the KSP community will always be enraged.

Aside from [C] being the right answer. I think we all can agree that [A] is the most unlikely option.

I've been playing KSP for many years. There's a lot Squad can be accused of and some of that might even be true, but I have never seen them do anything that even remotely resembles “letting the modding community flesh out the game,” the closest you'll get in this respect is “Squad taking the game in the direction most players want to see it go.” Contracts is a good example of that. That started out as a mod and was adopted because it was well liked, not because  Squad acted with “thanks for prototyping that out for us, we'll take it from here.”

Delta-V is left out on a believe that the bare-bones game should have a “fly by the seat of your pants” character to it (right or wrong) and the other features you mentioned... as much as I'd like to see them, there's plenty of improvements that have a higher priority, especially since we have mods providing those features in the first place.

As for the "value" of DLC. that is all in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think there is plenty of room in the market for quality mods that provide "the same, but better" in the game: cities with animated traffic on Kerbin, working volcanoes on Duna, etc. Microsoft provided a Flightsimulator ecosystem where you got the base game for $40 and 3rd party individual planes (airports, scenery, etc) was available for significantly higher amounts. Are they available for free? Maybe, yes. But whatever Squad/T2 sells "on the side" will have a stamp of "official content" on it, and many players will happily pay the modest fee for that. I expect most of the youtubers/twitchers to be flying with Stock+MHEP and the Gemini capsule (assuming one is there) will be the de-facto standard for a 2-seater capsule; not one the many options available right now. Because the MHEP Gemini will be "the official" one.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Most games that have campaigns and missions in them used an editor tool to create that content, and it is usually included with the game (Starcraft, for example).

From my experience, most games don't have it included, and those that do don't charge extra.  The issue really stems from Squad choosing side quests as the main gameplay loop of their career mode.  Hand crafted missions are only now being considered.  Thus, why they're DLC.

Edited by klgraham1013

44 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

From my experience, most games don't have it included, and those that do don't charge extra.  The issue really stems from Squad choosing side quests as the main gameplay loop of their career mode.  Hand crafted missions are only now being considered.  Thus, why they're DLC.

Well, it took them a year to make it with a bigger, more experienced team than they had before. It would been nice to have started sooner, but that’s life. The charging extra is for mission functionality, and the editor to create our own missions is just bonus. Although I realize that’s not how they’re spinning it.  

And on top of that, a bunch of new parts to call stock!

Yeah, ok, on second thought maybe Blizzard was more of an exception in including map editors.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, SQUAD said:

we are proud and super excited to announce that Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will be available for PC on March 13th, 2018.

Would have been more cool if you released it on the 14th... just sayin'  :cool:

1 hour ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Will this expansion be available on steam? How do you install expansion packs?

Steam explicitly supports both free and paid DLC. There's like a mini-shop for those items on the game's shop page, where you can subscribe to free ones or purchase paid ones. And once you own one or more DLCs for a game, then when you visit that game in the library, there'll be a list of available DLCs that you can check or uncheck to install or uninstall.

You'll see once the DLC releases. It's easy :) 

21 hours ago, Frank_G said:

PC means PC and Mac, or really only PC? (which would be no problem for me, but good to know).

PC means Personal Computer, a computer designed for use by one person at a time, regardless of the installed OS. PC ≠ Windows computer.

40 minutes ago, Samssonart said:

PC means Personal Computer, a computer designed for use by one person at a time, regardless of the installed OS. PC ≠ Windows computer.

Yes, but the common folk don't know that.  Sometimes you have to adjust your language no matter how much you wish people would stop saying theory when they mean hypothesis.  Not that I have any hang ups about it or anything.

55 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Yes, but the common folk don't know that.  Sometimes you have to adjust your language no matter how much you wish people would stop saying theory when they mean hypothesis.  Not that I have any hang ups about it or anything.

Ha! Just like people/news say Ipad and not tablet among a million other examples :)

4 hours ago, invision said:

no pre-order? squad plz

I've seen too many games hype up pre-orders and turn out to be lackluster on launch. I can't understand why anyone would want to pre-order digital releases which can't sell out.

The only argument that makes any sense is you can download early so you can play a hot new title the second it unlocks. If you're on slow Internet this does make sense, but KSP is a relatively small download and what's a few more minutes wait after more than a year? I doubt KSP would offer pre-loading even if they offered pre-orders.

Edited by Mako

42 minutes ago, Mako said:

I can't understand why anyone would want to pre-order digital releases which can't sell out.

Maybe if you're going to be away all day, if you leave the computer running, Steam could downlaod it and install it for you so it's all ready when you get home :)

10 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

I read: 15 bucks

I understand: -999 999 999 bucks

I would in fact purchase the DLC if it came with a rebate cheque for a billion dollars.  You got me there.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:00 AM, SQUAD said:

March 13th, 2018.

What a coincidence. That date also happens to be my birthday. 

Fantastic news overall though! I'm slightly surprised that SQUAD/TakeTwo would say a release date more than a week in advance (it is without precedent), but I'm certainly OK with it! Definitely looking forward to the expansion + 1.4.

Edited by CoreI