Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - Release Date Announcement

SQUAD

6 hours ago, Mako said:

I've seen too many games hype up pre-orders and turn out to be lackluster on launch. I can't understand why anyone would want to pre-order digital releases which can't sell out.

The only argument that makes any sense is you can download early so you can play a hot new title the second it unlocks. If you're on slow Internet this does make sense, but KSP is a relatively small download and what's a few more minutes wait after more than a year? I doubt KSP would offer pre-loading even if they offered pre-orders.

its because i have the funds on steam and rather not spend it then have to load more funds

4 hours ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

"15 dollars is a bit too mu-"

'Kerbals have EVA parachutes'

"TAKE MY MONEY!"

I know your post is intended to be humorous, but just in case you or anyone else missed it, Squad has said in this week's Weekly that the parachutes are coming for free as part of the 1.4 base game update. You'll get the EVA personnel parachutes with or without purchasing the Making History Expansion.

I'm guessing the parachutes aren't really the make-or-break factor in your purchase decision, but if for some reason they are you can save yourself some money.

If you really want to keep players happy when making expansions, release free promo goodies whenever you release an expansions, and make sure expansions are big complete deals with new types of gameplay.  (This one clearly qualifies with an nice easy mission builder.)

If you could, make a mission exchange, preferably allow 4 methods of sharing missions: Steam Workshop, CurseForge, Dropbox and "export to file."   Also allow mods to add additional sharing methods.

Any method that can easily be done in one simple click once the login information is loaded, should be done as such, sharing to all methods configured in one simple step.

Make sure exported missions are human readable and human editable with some basic programming/configuration experience.  (Either use Javascript Block Format or an XML format, and make sure it's easy to understand and fault tolerant.  This means making a lint script and quirks script for the loader to attempt to correct common editing errors.)

Edited by Ruedii

I have a few questions about why it's worded the way it is for getting the free expansion and what if you already own the game on Steam AND GOG but didn't do a key transfer?  From the announcement, is sounds as if early purchasers only get this expansion free and have to pay for all future ones (hope I'm wrong on this part).  Rudeii, workshop is useless as you would be excluding people who have the store version and GOG builds.  There's a reason spacedock and CKAN exist for mods and workshop doesn't-it's so multiple installs can exist (I have one heavily modded, one for DMP, one for Galileo planet pack).  I'd like to know, however, if there is a way for vaild owners of the game with a purchase date prior to the cutoff being able to test the expansion early in Steam without having to to a transfer

On 08/02/2018 at 11:15 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Speaking of missions, there’s been no word on how they will be shared.

I will be adding mission sharing to KerbalX, but until the expansion is released I won't have any information about how missions are structured/stored so I can't start building that aspect yet.

Yay! Although, if someone doesn't want to buy the pack, they could just install mods to have those parts. Will there be any 'better' features that the pack owners will have that the 'base game' (can't believe I'm saying that) won't? Or will it simply just be some themed parts and stuff. I'm kinda hoping that the parachutes will make their way into the game, and not be pack exclusive.

8 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'm kinda hoping that the parachutes will make their way into the game, and not be pack exclusive.

Stop hoping.

On top of that, our art team was also very busy. Since we are including several new parts with a 1.875 diameter, we also needed to include a Heat Shield to accompany them, which is now within the part catalogue for the upcoming 1.4 update. And that’s not all, several months ago we mentioned that we were going to include a personnel parachute in the expansion, well, we have determined to include it in the 1.4 update instead of the expansion, so all Kerbals in peril can attempt an emergency parachute-jump (assuming there’s an atmosphere). Here’s a sneak peek!

On 2/9/2018 at 11:44 PM, JK_Kerbineer said:

"15 dollars is a bit too mu-"

'Kerbals have EVA parachutes'

"TAKE MY MONEY!"

Ya know, it's funny... I was more pumped for the mission-builder than anything...

But now I just want to start skydiving on other planets... :0.0:

40 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Ya know, it's funny... I was more pumped for the mission-builder than anything...

But now I just want to start skydiving on other planets... :0.0:

Err.. only ones with an atmosphere, right?
I see the deaths of many kerbals forgetting parachutes only work in an atmosphere.

8 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Err.. only ones with an atmosphere, right?
I see the deaths of many kerbals forgetting parachutes only work in an atmosphere.

hehehe, yeah.

The one I'm really curious about, besides Kerbin itself, is Eve... and then Duna.

Plus I'm running OPM in my Emiko Station game, so there's a couple more moons with atmospheres I can play around with...

Ohhhh... Skydiving straight into the Kraken's Necropolis on Tekto!!! Woohoo!!!   :0.0:

Spoiler

g9Ofrbjh.png

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Surely there's gotta be an intrepid kerbal impatient to try skydiving into Jool...

it all depends on if the parachutes work outside a atmosphere.  My bets are you cannot deploy them outside a atmosphere.  Otherwise, I think we'd see a lot of videos of jeb parachuting down to jool.  Maybe val too.  Bob and bill might want in on the fun too.

On 07/02/2018 at 2:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh god.  All those mods to update

Man you're the best. I really consider helping you through patreon soon. You really deserve it for maintaining all these mods on 1.3.1. I'm pretty sure that you have a lot of supporters in here. I hope you'll be brave enough to continue on 1.4 :D Cheers

On 11/02/2018 at 10:19 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yay! Although, if someone doesn't want to buy the pack, they could just install mods to have those parts. Will there be any 'better' features that the pack owners will have that the 'base game' (can't believe I'm saying that) won't? Or will it simply just be some themed parts and stuff. I'm kinda hoping that the parachutes will make their way into the game, and not be pack exclusive.

Yes they can install mods with new parts, but the parts in the mods won't be 'those' parts.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:15 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh god.  All those mods to update

I'm honestly curious.

Between maintaining mods and answering questions on the forums, when is the last time you actually played KSP?

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Huh?

he is on the forums and maintaining mods so much, it is a wonder if lgg still plays ksp. I know for a fact that Angel-125 spends more time modding than playing, and he dosent have nearly as many mods as LGG

5 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

he is on the forums and maintaining mods so much, it is a wonder if lgg still plays ksp. I know for a fact that Angel-125 spends more time modding than playing, and he dosent have nearly as many mods as LGG

Exactly this.

I've also known modders who got so into modding, they couldn't play without looking for something else to fix, or add, or tweak, or knew the game inside and out so well that it lost interest as a game, and modding became the sole focus of it.

14 minutes ago, razark said:

Exactly this.

I've also known modders who got so into modding, they couldn't play without looking for something else to fix, or add, or tweak, or knew the game inside and out so well that it lost interest as a game, and modding became the sole focus of it.

OK, now you've got me curious, too. Luckily, half the fun of writing Emiko Station is it's still a mission report... albeit a pretty wild one... and I spend half my time playing the game and taking screenshots I can write about later.

I can't imagine spending all my time just writing, or modding... I seriously hope they're taking time to have some fun as well!  :D

23 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Surely there's gotta be an intrepid kerbal impatient to try skydiving into Jool...

Phh... Amateur. Try skydiving into the SUN.

(What are you saying it's too hot? Just go at night!)

Edited by JK_Kerbineer