Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - Release Date Announcement

SQUAD

4 hours ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

Phh... Amateur. Try skydiving into the SUN.

5-6 billion years from now, we'll be all doing this together, with the entire planet. I don't want to spoil that Ultimate Social Event by going ahead of time. :wink:

1 hour ago, strudo76 said:

Can you say if missions created with the mission creator can be installed and played without having the DLC? Or is the DLC a requirement for accessing that user made content?

Both playing and creating missions will only be available if you have the expansion. It has been said that missions will not interact with career mode or the contract system. It seems that they are going to only be available in a new mode that comes with the expansion.

7 hours ago, Mako said:

Both playing and creating missions will only be available if you have the expansion. It has been said that missions will not interact with career mode or the contract system. It seems that they are going to only be available in a new mode that comes with the expansion.

Could you link to that? I was expecting to be able to do missions in career mode. I was expecting them to not interact with contracts, but I wasn't expecting to have to choose between them and contracts. :/

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Could you link to that? I was expecting to be able to do missions in career mode. I was expecting them to not interact with contracts, but I wasn't expecting to have to choose between them and contracts. :/

If I come across the post I'll provide a link. I believe it was a dev replying to a question someone asked in one of the Weeklys threads. It's not even a choice between missions and contract, though. Missions is a separate mode that doesn't affect or interact with career mode in any way.

Based on what I've read in the Weeklys, I'm expecting that when you load KSP with the expansion installed you'll be able to pick either Play/Build a Mission OR New/Load Career, Science, or Sandbox mode game.

The Weeklys aren't terrible for what they are, but as pretty much the only source of info they leave something to be desired. Unless you read each one start to finish you miss out on the details that are spread out.

Edited by Mako

4 hours ago, Mako said:

The Weeklys aren't terrible for what they are, but as pretty much the only source of info they leave something to be desired. Unless you read each one start to finish you miss out on the details that are spread out.

I had to excuse myself from the weeklys for a while because the comments complaining about pretty much everything in the Universe were making me so angry I couldn't see. I've caught a few of them since but still stay away.

Thank you for the reply. I'll go back and just read the posts for the past few months.

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I can't see the image, can you describe it?

It's a screenshot of this very thread, making someone look very silly by pointing out the answer to their question just a few posts above of where they posted the question.

That was easy. Give me another. :P

12 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I can't see the image, can you describe it?

It's a screenshot of my post, showing the quote and my question, with linuxgurugamer's name underlined in red, with a red arrow also pointing at said name.

6 hours ago, Mako said:

If I come across the post I'll provide a link.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'll go back and just read the posts for the past few months.

After a non-exhaustive perusal of the past 4 months' of weeklys, I have to say it looks like it's that. I never found a definitive statement, but the tone of the posts is that it's a "one-off challenge maker" and not a "mission designer that you can also do challenges in."

Still worth the $15 probably, but it gives me a little bit of a sad.

38 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

After a non-exhaustive perusal of the past 4 months' of weeklys, I have to say it looks like it's that. I never found a definitive statement, but the tone of the posts is that it's a "one-off challenge maker" and not a "mission designer that you can also do challenges in."

Still worth the $15 probably, but it gives me a little bit of a sad.

That's been my impression as well. I believe the detail of missions being fully separated from career mode is buried in the replies to the Weeklys and not in any of the Weeklys themselves. Google didn't help me narrow it down to provide anything definitive, but I do recall a dev specifically saying missions are wholly separate from the main 3 modes.

It's basically a in-game version of the challenges subforum, complete with score and in-game badges. And lacking any official statement otherwise, missions will likely be shared just like challenges (on the forum), and downloaded and installed just like mods (from Curseforge or the inevitable community-created missions repository).

45 minutes ago, Mako said:

It's basically a in-game version of the challenges subforum, complete with score and in-game badges. And lacking any official statement otherwise, missions will likely be shared just like challenges (on the forum), and downloaded and installed just like mods (from Curseforge or the inevitable community-created missions repository).

So more like a playable scenario I guess?

2 hours ago, Abpilot said:

Hey  @SQUAD I bought ksp in July 2012 on my old PC through steam however i have a new PC and a new steam account and it has compleatly forgot that i had ksp. What do i do?

BTW this update is sure to be the best!

Send a PM to them.  Would help if you remember the old steam account

On 2/7/2018 at 4:50 PM, Casualnaut said:

Wh-what ab-about co-con-console?

*cries for 1000 years*

On 2/7/2018 at 7:31 AM, JonnyT121 said:

Dare I ask, but will this at some point in the (I assume) far future be available for console players and the 1.4 update content?

So, 

Development Staff - 

this thread  starts with a big "WHOO HOO look at me" major content announcement that makes NO mention about weather the Console edition will get said content.  within the first 3 pages TWO customers ask for clarification - is the making history expansion going to come to the Console version? 

and not ONE of you bothered to answer your customer's question - and its a simple question.  yes or no... is this planned? 

as I've already mentioned in my (i think) second ever post...  your communication with the Console player base is extremely lacking. in this case almost to the point of it appearing deliberate.   

my point is - these two guys should never even have had to ask - there should have been something about this in the announcement. 

one extra paragraph - something to the effect of:

AND,  not to worry  console players! enhanced edition users will receive the expansion after  (insert  plausible reason for why it takes longer to develop)

thanks for being patient! 

or:

AND Console players,  we are sorry but due to (insert constraints) we won't be able to bring this content to console.

is that too much to ask?.  

1 hour ago, Farm Buyer said:

and not ONE of you bothered to answer your customer's question - and its a simple question.  yes or no... is this planned? 

It might not be a simple question at all.  Perhaps they haven't decided that yet.  Personally, if I was planning to invest in more development time (which takes money) of porting a PC DLC to a console, there are a couple of things I would want to check off my list to ensure it's worth my while from a business perspective.

1) Ensure the KSP console version's bugfixes are prioritized and resolved.  Why would console players buy a DLC for a game that has significant gameplay-hindering bugs? (Disclaimer: I don't have the console version, but from reading the forums I can ascertain that there are a number of console players that are having a "buggy" KSP experience, not to mention that Squad is working on at least one patch; who knows if there will need to be more in the future?)
2) See what kind of money the DLC makes on the PC side.  What if it tanks? (though I doubt it :wink:) If the DLC doesn't prove to be a worthwhile investment for PC's, I wouldn't expect them to put forth more money for a failed investment.  Squad is still an "Indie developer".

This is all speculation on my part, but I'm just pointing out that game developers generally don't announce major decisions to the public until they're already committed to a course of action, and the course of action is far enough along that it seems unlikely to change.  So maybe they will release it on DLC, but I'm sure there are a few requirements that have to be met before they decide one way or another.

Edited by Raptor9