Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - Release Date Announcement

SQUAD

@Farm Buyer

I completely agree that Squad's communication is lacking overall. It affects PC players as well as console players, but console players do feel it much more acutely since they have faced two different ports both plagued with issues (poor communication on controls in Enhanced Edition has been one of those issues).

That being said, I have to agree with Raptor9 and say it's not an easy answer at this time. I think the only answer that would be reasonable for them to give, and therefore the only answer that would be reasonable to expect, is something like "We would like to bring the Making History Expansion to consoles in the future, but at this time our priority must be focusing on getting the console versions to the quality level that our players deserve. We hope to discuss the possibility of expansions and/or other DLC on consoles at a later date. As always, stay tuned to the forums and follow us on our social media for all the latest announcements on both PC and console versions."

Any other answer at this time would probably be premature at best and a complete lie at worst, unless Squad knows right now that Take-Two is going to say yes or no. The only reasonable answer is "Maybe?" and instead of irresponsibly getting hopes up they're choosing to not say anything until they know for sure.

I'll be one of the first to say that Squad's communication could use serious work, but staying silent on the expansion for consoles is probably the right call for as long as they don't have a definite yes or no answer to give.

They would be fools not to release DLC to console.

Console players are used to paid DLC, We WILL buy it, would be very lucrative for them.  

In fact if they release an anouncement that the DLC is available for pre order, or that a "season pass" of a sort was available that will include the latest DLC and 2-3 ones to come later for a bundle price of 50 bucks or so... I'd buy it TOMORROW. 

It should be a priority, as its a source of near instant revenue.  

Also,  Since there is no mod support for the console edition, it will be the only way to keep fresh content going to that edition.

Take two is not known for free content, so... yeah if DLC  is not in the picture for console, that version dies. 

I want parity with the PC version (with a reasonable delay due to the additional development issues with console) 

I did't pay for KSP lite,  I paid for the FULL game.   I want what I paid for, and I want the people that I paid to comunicate WHY I don't have what i paid for. 

It would be very nice if those of you who are NOT development reps stop "answering" my questions about why they won't talk to the console players.

I didn't join this comunity to hear fanboy excuses, I joined to to bring the grievences I have with the people that I gave my money to into the open,  and maybe, just maybe...

Get a few straight answers. 

I think they owe the comunity that.  After 1.5 years of lousy service and getting the run around, 

The least they could do is talk to us like adults. 

1 hour ago, Farm Buyer said:

...I didn't join this comunity to hear fanboy excuses,...

Well I don't consider myself a fanboy of Squad, but it's true that I'm a fan of the community, and I feel the need to defend it in this case. From what I have read on these forums since the original console release, the community as a whole is completely with you on this, Farm Buyer. What you interpret as excuses are actually honest attempts to help you or welcome you from people who would love you to be able to enjoy the game as it should be experienced. Don't be put off by their responses - this is not like most places on the internet. Give it a chance and you'll find the community exceedingly patient and helpful. Some of the people here have insight into software design and distribution, some are programmers, others are actual aeronautics experts or scientists. But everyone has something in common - Kerbal Space Program has captured their imagination, and they want you to enjoy it too. Hope you stick around.

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Question:
I bought KSP on GOG.com. Will the DLC will be available there, and if so, how do I download it?

probably like any other DLC on GOG.  Example: I bought gal civ III: Crusade on there despite owning it on Steam (long story I won't go into).  The DLC showed up in my library a extra installer and downloaded with the base game in galaxy.  I would 100% bet on it showing up and the download will be like any other.  I just wanna know how KSP store users who purchased seperate copies at each retailer will have their free expansion redeemed.

@Farm Buyer

If providing rational answers is now fanboying then color me Squad's number one all-time fan. Or you know, actually read my post.

Console KSP is on version 1.2.2 and only available in one language. PC is on 1.3.1, available in 5 languages, and soon to be on 1.4 and available in 9 languages, and none of that is part of the DLC. Currently console versions are 2, soon to be 3, updates behind the PC and there's still people experiencing huge problems.

How about Squad worries about getting the console versions patched and working well for players, and then worry about updates and potentially DLC? Unless you think the best way to move forward is to build upon a problematic base?

I totally appreciate that you want parity across all versions (that's the perfect world scenario, hopefully it'll happen) and that you'd like a commitment right now from Squad/Take-Two, but if they say yes now and it winds up not happening you'll be angry. And if they say no now you'll be angry. So either way you'll be angry. It's easier if they just stay silent until they know for sure. I'm not saying this because I love Squad, I'm saying this because it's what companies do and it's foolish to think they'll do otherwise just because you want them to.

I want Squad to release a roadmap, and I've said as much for a long time now. They haven't released one, and they have never really commented on releasing one. At this point, it's foolish to think they will. Realistically speaking, if this DLC fails to sell well, and if the console versions haven't sold well, I won't be at all surprised to see development wind down to support/bug fixing before ending all together.

So be upset, post all you want, but don't act like me and others who provide reasonable answers are against you or telling you to be quiet. You made your demands, you stated your opinion, and you received some responses that were hoping to provide you with reasonable expectations regarding both. It's fine if your still upset about that, but don't think that reasonable responses change anything any more than your demands will.

Responding rationally to an irrational request is hardly making excuses. And just like the rest of us, you paid for what was available at the time of purchase including any future base game updates with no guarantee of updates ever actually being made or doing what you want. Consoles are a unique consideration in that regard, because it can be argued that Squad did not deliver a good product on consoles. If that's how you feel, you should probably get a refund and consider rebuying at a later date if and when the console versions get fixed.

I simpathize with your postion and the reason for its irrationality, but realistically I can't agree with you.

Gentlemen, 

I think you miss my point - 

I don't think what I'm asking is Irrational,  I am a paying customer (and if paid DLC is on the table, I will continue to be a paying customer) and I'm not getting what I paid for, I want to know why, and what they intend to do about it.  I'm not interested in getting my money back (not that its possible. after too many hours in the game, Sony will not refund so I'm SOL... however it took several hours for the game breaking time warp bug to render the game unplayable. until that started I was content to deal with the little convenience bugs and sit patiently for a patch,  the same thing happened with the Flying tiger version, I played it for several hours, it had it's issues, but it was pretty good I had some fun - them wham! first game breaker. ).  I took it on faith that the developers would make it right and waited for a fix that never came, with almost zero information about why - and when the "fix" did come it took a year and a half... and it's still not right.  Is it too much to ask?  I want what I paid for.    

As a paying customer I was led to expect a certain product - and most importantly, a product that works correctly. as I mentioned I didn't expect the product to work correctly right off the bat - they almost never do, they always have problems and I'm usually quite patient about them. big deal... right? wait a week or three and the patch comes out and everything is gravy.   however this has become ridiculous.   from announcement of a console version, it has been TWO years... and they still don't have a properly working product, they still haven't answered the question of will it be kept up to date with the PC version (including DLC)?    

you tell me I'm being irrational,  that I should expect what I paid for - and want to know even when it is fixed, If I'm getting a watered down version of the game?

they have all the time in the world to post updates to the PC community and show them all the shiny new stuff they are working on to improve their game experience,  and they give the console players next to nothing. they won't even tell us if we will eventually get the shiny new stuff too.  I think me, and my Console brethren have right to be disappointed, insulted, even angry.   

And I want them to fess up to what they have done and chat with us about it.  - that is all, a little bit of communication and frank discussion.

I don't think its irrational to expect a service provider to communicate with their customers? do you?  

Pro tip to @Farm Buyer:

If you want someone on this forum to shut up, you'll have much more success if you like their post and reply, "Thanks for your perspective," than if you just tell them to shut up. :)

12 minutes ago, Farm Buyer said:

I think you miss my point - 

No, I don't think that's the problem. You're conflating two different things---bugs in the current console release versus future availability of DLC on consoles---which makes it easy to misunderstand a given statement about one as being about the other.

Regarding bugs, your point is clear and not in dispute: There are serious bugs on console that should be fixed. I don't think you'll find a PC player who will tell you that you should settle for what you have now without complaining. Believe it or not, PC players have been there before, feeling disgruntled with a buggy release while competing priorities are focused on; check out the original console announcement thread for plenty of examples:

Regarding the DLC, here's what's irrational:

they still haven't answered the question of will it be kept up to date with the PC version (including DLC)?    

they won't even tell us if we will eventually get the shiny new stuff too.  I think me, and my Console brethren have right to be disappointed, insulted, even angry.   

And I want them to fess up to what they have done and chat with us about it.  - that is all, a little bit of communication and frank discussion.

Your purchase of KSP does not entitle you to the option to purchase DLC. No one's does. It also doesn't entitle you to know SQUAD's future development plans. It entitles you to exactly one thing: a (working) copy of the game. If you have a non-working copy, SQUAD needs to fix it, but they don't have to provide additional products or services above and beyond that.

I don't think its irrational to expect a service provider to communicate with their customers? do you?  

SQUAD provides services, but their customer is Take Two Interactive. I'm sure they communicate plenty.

@Farm Buyer

Squad was never a "service provider" to the end user of KSP (as far as KSP is concerned). They were a product provider, with free base game updates if and when they became available. Take-Two is now the product, not service, provider.

You're absolutely 100% entitled to a working game on the console of your choice. Hopefully that gets sorted out, and I would suggest attempting a refund again if you're not satisfied. It may be a long shot, but there's more of a chance now than back in the day when physical copies were the only option. Ultimately, Sony wants to keep you happy and keep you buying from them, so one would think that they would try to make you happy with their end of things, at least.

You say that you don't want a "watered down" version, and I can appreciate where you're coming from, but you have to admit that the consoles will always be watered down when considering mod support. That's just the nature of the closed systems that Microsoft and Sony produce.

Again, asking for stock game parity is completely reasonable. Hopefully it'll get there one day. But you didn't buy Console Version 1.3.1 or 1.4, you bought Console Version 1.1.3 (? whatever was first released on consoles). You're entitled to Console Version 1.3.1 or 1.4 (or better) only if they come out. Squad and Take-Two never guaranteed that 1.4 would come to PC, and until it actually releases next month they are under no actual obligation to provide 1.4 to anyone regardless of platform.

Again, you have every right to be upset, and every right to post how upset you are. And I'm attempting to offer you reasonable expectations to what you're asking.  I'm also attempting to clarify exactly what you purchased and exactly what you're entitled to: you purchased a broken KSP 1.1.3 and are now entitled to a working 1.2.2.  Worry about getting what you about are actually entitled to right now.

Is it bad customer service to leave customers in the dark and provide inadequate communication, absolutely. I think Squad has done plenty of that on PC and especially on consoles. I'm not happy about it, and you're definitely justified in being more than unhappy about it, but to expect answers that they're not ready to give is only going to lead to more disappointment whether they answer or not.

If they say yes, and don't deliver you'd be rightfully upset and left without recourse, and if they say no you'll be upset and left without recourse. The only way you're going to be happy is if they say yes and deliver, and they're probably not in any position to do that while they're preoccupied with providing the only thing you're actually entitled to: a working Console Version 1.2.2.

@Farm Buyer

You need to remember that Squad isn't responsible for the console port, that is a separate team.  Demanding that Squad do something about the console port is a waste of their time.  The console port will catch up sooner or later, why should the PC game team have to stop developing that branch of the game so that the console team can catch up?

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 2/7/2018 at 5:00 AM, SQUAD said:

And yes, we’re keeping our promise that all players who purchased the game through April 2013 will receive the expansion for free. We’ll provide more details on how that will work before launch.

Just a clarification, does this mean I'll get it for free if I've played before Apr. 2013? Or are us late 2013/2014 players out of luck?

Also, this expansion pack kind of reminds me of the Galactic Adventures DLC for Spore.

Edited by Clockwork13

5 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

Just a clarification, does this mean I'll get it for free if I've played before Apr. 2013? Or are us late 2013/2014 players out of luck?

Also, this expansion pack kind of reminds me of the Galactic Adventures DLC for Spore.

I don't understand your question, did you purchase the game before the end of April 2013 or not?

If you did, you get Making History for free. If you did not, you have to pay for it. You are not "out of luck," you're just "out of $15"

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't understand your question, did you purchase the game before the end of April 2013 or not?

If you did, you get Making History for free. If you did not, you have to pay for it. You are not "out of luck," you're just "out of $15"

I'm not out of luck, nor am I out of $15, because I still do not support, and won't buy, paid DLC on an already expensive game. I like Squad and all but I'm a bit worried about the direction it's heading in.

2 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

I'm not out of luck, nor am I out of $15, because I still do not support, and won't buy, paid DLC on an already expensive game. I like Squad and all but I'm a bit worried about the direction it's heading in.

That's fair. I don't share your opinion on the worth of the game or the DLC but will not argue the points. There have been countless times where I've not bought DLC for a game because I felt it wasn't worth it.

On 7.2.2018 at 7:07 PM, KnutG said:

Big News! Thanks for your work Squad - looking forward to see the game in german language :0.0:

Hopefully that german translation will not lack the humor and ferocity of the english original. But usually, as is the case with a lot of german translations in video games, this hope dies fast so even as a german native speaker, I'd rather stick to the english version (also trains my english reading skills).

Edited by lodger

On 9.2.2018 at 6:52 PM, klgraham1013 said:

Yes, but the common folk don't know that.  Sometimes you have to adjust your language no matter how much you wish people would stop saying theory when they mean hypothesis.  Not that I have any hang ups about it or anything.

I beg to differ: never give up to educate common folk to use proper wording or else wrong will turn become right someday.

Edited by lodger