Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - Release Date Announcement

SQUAD

As per usual, you are completely missing my point. There was, for a while a separate NASAmission folder inside GameData alongside the Squad folder, and it was often referred to by the community at times as free DLC. If you do not remember that, there is nothing I can do for you.

On another note though, you seem to only care about nitpicking what I say [snip] as well as dodging my main point (which was that free DLC should stay out of already paid games), and as such, I'll save myself the headache and end this argument here. Have a nice day. [snip] 

Edited by Deddly

6 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

It was never separate from the stock game.  The Asteroid Redirect Mission update included new features and new parts to the game, like every other update that proceeded it, and every update that came after that wasn't limited to bugfixes.  Just like the v0.24 "First Contract" update included the new Mission Control building functions, new parts, and contracts; and v0.25 "Economic Boom" update added the admin building, expanded career system, and new spaceplane parts.  By that same definition, the official release of the product as v1.0 was also a DLC.

The point is, as @AVaughan & @Mako mentioned a few posts above, new content that is available for purchase after the game has been sold as "officially released" to fund continued development is one thing.  Any content that is added to a half-finished game while that game is still in development, but available to players that purchased into early access, is not the same.  If you start telling people on the forums (that weren't around for the early days of KSP) that @SQUAD previously gave away DLC's for free, but are now charging for this one, is disingenuous at best, and at worst is misinformation that creates baseless resentment towards Squad.

Agree 100% 

if you want this game to survive, and grow - you'll have to help fund it - the 30 bucks you spent to buy it paid for the effort of building the damn thing.if you want more - you'll have to pay for it.   its economics, they have mouths to feed and bills to pay.   buy it or don't its your choice. 

and drip feed of planned features during the pre release does not equal "DLC" so lets just nip that BS in the backside here and now... OK? 

now, I have 15 bucks burning a hole in my pocket,  just waiting to hear if Console payers will get a shot at the DLC too...

46 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

I agree with most of your points, but there was the NASA redirect mission DLC in 2014 or 2015, which was free up until it got merged with the stock game.

The NASA Asteroid Redirect Update was a minor version update around April 2014. It was not DLC. The Asteroid Day mod, which is what I think you're trying to refer to, was a small offical mod, consisting of 4 or 5 parts and a contract, released in June 2015 and eventually got folded into stock KSP.

The Making History Expansion is going to be quite a bit bigger in terms of number of new parts and in terms of features than both of those combined. It's adding a whole new, completely separate mode to the game along with historically-inspired parts and mission.

Again, if think it should be free then it's obviously not worth $15 or you. And that's perfectly fine. But to try to say that Making History is on the same scale as what Squad has released previously is not accurate.

14 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

As per usual, you are completely missing my point. There was, for a while a separate NASAmission folder inside GameData alongside the Squad folder, and it was often referred to by the community at times as free DLC. If you do not remember that, there is nothing I can do for you.

On the contrary, there's quite a lot you could do. If "the community" you're talking about is this one, then those references we "often" made would still be online on the forum, so you could cite them. I also don't remember seeing this "free DLC" idea before. Maybe you could find it?

Edited by HebaruSan

7 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

On another note though, you seem to only care about nitpicking what I say [snip] as well as dodging my main point (which was that free DLC should stay out of already paid games), and as such, I'll save myself the headache and end this argument here. Have a nice day. [snip] 

Nothing in this statement is true, I was simply providing counterpoints to your argument.  If you felt I was being hostile, that is unfortunate; I was not.  I was simply disagreeing with you and debating your views with my own.  I don't understand why a debate has to devolve into a personal attack.

7 hours ago, Clockwork13 said:

No we got your point.  The problem is we don't agree with your point.  Please do not conflate people disagreeing with your point, with people not listening to you.  BTW you are also completely ignoring the points other people are making.  That is your right.  But if you are just going to re-iterate the same point and ignore everything anybody else says, then please stop accusing us of missing your point. 

1.  I agree there was something that was referred to as Asteroid Day DLC.  I'm not sure whether that was the official squad term, but I remember players referring to it as "Asteroid day DLC".  It was free in the sense that players didn't need to buy it.  But that is completely irrelevant to whether new dlc produced in 2018 should be free.  

2.  I don't recall who made that dlc.  I have no idea whether it was made by a Squad employee, possible in their own free time, then just rolled out as an official mod.  Or whether it was made by someone who wanted to promote asteroid day, and then donated to squad, with an arrangement that squad would release it as an official mod/dlc.  Or whether NASA or ESA or someone else paid Squad (or possibly another modder or developer) to make it and arranged for Squad to release it, to help promote asteroid day.  (In the last case whilst it might have been free to players, someone got paid to make it, and possibly Squad got paid to release it).  But again it that is completely irrelevant to whether Squad should charge for new dlc.

3.  Let me repeat the point that I and other posters made a few posts ago, but which you keep ignoring.  If you want Squad to keep working on KSP, then they need an income stream.  It can be selling new copies of the game, or selling dlc.  No income stream will mean no further further development of ksp, and no more patches.  I have no idea how many new copies of KSP they sold in 2017, but by now I expect sales are tapering off.  Most people who are interested in KSP have probably already bought a copy.  So that leaves the choices of selling dlc, or abandoning KSP development.  No matter how much you think new content for existing games should be free, the realities of the real world is that someone needs and income stream to pay the salaries of the developers working on ksp, otherwise there will be no more patches.  (And remember that, as I understand things, patch 1.4 will be free, it's just the new content that Squad are charging for).

4.  Do you remember games like Football Manager 2018?  Because that sort of yearly or bi-yearly release is the only way to keep a game/franchise running without selling dlc.  And instead of optionally buying dlc occasionally, that is buying a new full priced version of the same game every year or two.  I'd much rather Squad sells new content as optional dlc and makes periodic free patch releases than the alternative of them stopping work on ksp and start working on ksp 2020.

it does have an atmosphere?  at what height.  Probably inside the range where you'd need the cheat ignore max temperature to do anything.  The delta-V required would mean gravity slingshots to its atomsphere.  Odds are good parachuting onto the sub WILL A: result in kerbal schiskabob.  B: be impossible due to heat.  C: same response as jool.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Take the cost of the game and divide by the hours you expect to play the game.  So that a more expensive game has a chance of being good.

By this reckoning, five dice and a yahtzee block should cost more than a set of the settlers of catan...

16 minutes ago, stuff said:

I have a question I own the none steam version of the game and the steam version of the game do I have to purchase 2 copies of making history one steam and the other none steam version ??

Do you play both versions? If so, why? They are no different and you can have multiple installs with the steam version. I can't think of any reason you would buy the Making History expansion two times.

I went through a time when I had no Internet if that happens again steam sometimes will not allow me to play any game originally I purchased ksp before steam then I later purchased the steam version for convenience of access to the game. so if I lose Internet again  I still want to be able to use the add on. that is why I asked is it going to be one add on for both or is it a separate program ?

On 2/15/2018 at 9:04 PM, Clockwork13 said:

what do you mean?

I wouldn't call KSP an expensive game in any stretch of the word

15 minutes ago, stuff said:

I went through a time when I had no Internet if that happens again steam sometimes will not allow me to play any game originally I purchased ksp before steam then I later purchased the steam version for convenience of access to the game. so if I lose Internet again  I still want to be able to use the add on. that is why I asked is it going to be one add on for both or is it a separate program ?

You know you can play steam games in offline mode.  also, if you click on the .exe in the game's folder, it will bypass the steam launcher altogether. 

It's probably not a separate program, but you shouldn't have to purchase an extra license.  In steam it will probably automatically install direct to your steam game, but from anywhere else it will probably be a separate installer that you can install to whichever you want, just like any mod with an installer.  Judging by DLC for other games, it wouldn't be difficult to extract the steam version to install to the other folder either, since steam usually installs DLC in a separate folder inside the game's asset folder.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

1 hour ago, stuff said:

Okay, I understand your perception of the situation, but in this case KSP doesn't require an internet connection to play. Since KSP is DRM free, you can run the Steam version directly with or without starting Steam, so it will work whether you're online or offline. I suspect the expansion will be this way as well, but I guess we don't know for sure.

In your case, since you prefer the convenience of Steam you should probably buy only that version. Unless you feel some strong desire to give Take-Two twice as much money.

I had the luck of a game update from steam that said I needed to update the game at the time I went and lost Internet access clicking on the exe said there was a problem and would not start the game 

1 minute ago, stuff said:

I had the luck of a game update from steam that said I needed to update the game at the time I went and lost Internet access clicking on the exe said there was a problem and would not start the game 

You can always copy the KSP folder from wherever Steam installs it and paste it to wherever you want and run the game from there. You can do that as much as you want. Want to make 5 different installs with various different mods you can do it.

Just copy the KSP folder from Steam as much as you want and you'll never need internet to launch the game. Those copies won't auto-update, so they won't break mods when Squad releases an update.

You don't need anything but the Steam version if you prefer Steam, you just need to do a copy&paste to never have that problem again.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:36 PM, AVaughan said:

I'd much rather Squad sells new content as optional dlc and makes periodic free patch releases than the alternative of them stopping work on ksp and start working on ksp 2020.

There's certainly more potential for the game to improve from where it's at right now, and wiping the slate of mods we have completely clean would be a hard pill to swallow...

But KSP 2.0, built from scratch with the wisdom of the current game in hindsight, could be *really* awesome. :D

22 minutes ago, SnailsAttack said:

tumblr_inline_p3r4zaHfV01rr2wit_540.png

why is this kerbal doing a T-pose

why are his legs fused into two of the rocket's thrusters

that's horrifying

i'd like to speak with whoever drew this because i have a few questions

The rocket shape does appear to be unfortunately aligned with the Kerbal silhouette, but I think that what you're thinking are arms outstretched in a T-pose is actually the collar on the space suit. But maybe I'm telling you something you already knew and your humor flew right over my head; I've been know to miss humor before.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt and it might actually help if they rotated the rocket shape clockwise to maybe 30 degrees and gave the Kerbal his helmet so the collar stops looking like arms.

1 hour ago, Mako said:

The rocket shape does appear to be unfortunately aligned with the Kerbal silhouette, but I think that what you're thinking are arms outstretched in a T-pose is actually the collar on the space suit. But maybe I'm telling you something you already knew and your humor flew right over my head; I've been know to miss humor before.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt and it might actually help if they rotated the rocket shape clockwise to maybe 30 degrees and gave the Kerbal his helmet so the collar stops looking like arms.

His body shape is definitely fused into the rocket's thrusters though.

I guess that the arms could actually be his suit's collar but i'm not sure.