How a build a 22,000 m/s dV spaceship?

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Sorry, cannot resist the urge to nitpick...

It is totally possible to be too miserly with the engines. When leaving Kerbin, I'd recommend a TWR of no less than 0.15 (preferably 0.2) -- below that, the losses from a long-duration burn will be greater than the straightforward dV loss from adding more engine mass.

That is why I disclaimed with "... that cannot also be mitigated through skillful flying" :wink: Periapsis kicking is a perfectly servicable, if rather tedious, way to leave Kerbin without maneuvering losses.

34 minutes ago, luizopiloto said:

22000m/s Δv... does it have to be manned? if not... IONs... :P

He writes further up in this thread that he doesn't have them unlocked yet.

20k dV Ionvessel for 2 crew

contains an OCTO2 too, read the post from @Streetwind (thx btw.) while constructing. removing the 2nd lander can raise total dV over 22k (!)

Skipper + Poodlecombo - payload could be extended even more with bigger Engines

Atmo TWR is 1.46 for liftoff

added 4x small radiator - dunno if that is much enough, i have no experience near Sun Kerbol

But note the loooooong burntimes and loooooow TWR. Paneels should privide enough EC vor continuous firing near Sun

Hint: you can activate physical timewarp (x2, x3, x4) using ALT + "." - german keyboard while accelerating - but the mission will still be a pain.

But hey - every Kerbal deserves to be rescued

(Disclaimer: its just a study - i did not do any experiments with this vessel myself. Some tech may not be availiable and must be substituted.)

More detailed view of the upper stage:

moar

Edited by Draalo

@Streetwind: periapsis-kicking is only good for the first 1km/s, from then on you have to pull through in one go. When going to Jool, that's another 1100m/s or so you have to provide in a single burn. Believe me, I didn't pull that 0.15g figure out of my nose, nor any other orifice: at that acceleration, said burn lasts over 12 minutes, and  no matter how smart you set it up, you'll spend an extra 100m/s compared to doing it on a still leisurely 0.3g.

Just check your dV meter before and after the burn to get at the actual dV expenditure.

Edited by Laie

Then we will have to agree to disagree, @Laie, since apparently our ingame experiences differ. I'm a contributor and great fan of Near Future Propulsion, and my playthroughs are often filled to the brim with low-TWR ion spacecraft. I've gotten pretty good at getting where I want to go in the dV budget that it's supposed to take. Obviously there are some small losses compared to instantaneous impulse maneuvers - nearly any engine will have those. But I can't remember missing a node budget by a 10% margin.

Not saying your results are wrong - just saying my mileage varies.

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.