Airlocks - Need examples of placements

What's up peeps?

Working on a rather large part, near completion, but the Airlock either ejects the Kerbal forcefully or allows entry with no escape.

Example here: 

https://gfycat.com/GrippingPerkyLaughingthrush

Anyone have any images of their working Airlock collider placements/dimensions?

What works best for you? Cube? Mesh? Box?

Edited by Jatwaa

Hi re airlocks, I always use a capsule  collider  0.35x1 meter.   Make sure airlock collider  only contacts that face that you want the exit to be on,  in the gif, does the the hatch collider intersect the lower mesh as well as the door mesh? Does the door element actually have a collider?

I've known things like multiple colliders between pod/iva cause hatch obstructed issues, something i suspect you have in your model .  Is the IVA where you think it is?   On a model like that, if it is as appears, and is one big part, unless you've set the IVA up to align to a specific location, it's likely to be buried in the exact model center.

If it's any help. I make huge parts also and have found it to be a guaranteed trouble free thing if the IVA and outer model are constructed together, with the IVA being aligned perfectly to start.  SO that when i add the unity GameObject at the parts center, rotated 90,180,0 , drag the IVA parts onto it and  rotate it back to zero, it will align in the correct position for hatches etc to work,  and  i have very few if any problems

52 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi re airlocks, I always use a capsule  collider  0.35x1 meter.   Make sure airlock collider  only contacts that face that you want the exit to be on,  in the gif, does the the hatch collider intersect the lower mesh as well as the door mesh? Does the door element actually have a collider?

I've known things like multiple colliders between pod/iva cause hatch obstructed issues, something i suspect you have in your model .  Is the IVA where you think it is?   On a model like that, if it is as appears, and is one big part, unless you've set the IVA up to align to a specific location, it's likely to be buried in the exact model center.

If it's any help. I make huge parts also and have found it to be a guaranteed trouble free thing if the IVA and outer model are constructed together, with the IVA being aligned perfectly to start.  SO that when i add the unity GameObject at the parts center, rotated 90,180,0 , drag the IVA parts onto it and  rotate it back to zero, it will align in the correct position for hatches etc to work,  and  i have very few if any problems

I think one issue is the IVA I am using is a generic placeholder for now. I have the collider offset a bit from the mesh, I can move those back to intersect and see what I get. I suppose I need to work on the IVA as well... The place holder I used is the stock Mk2 Passenger section so it may be much much smaller than my actual area. 

Hi,  the size of the IVA is pretty irrelevant , unless you're aligning inner and outer windows.  Regardless , the airlock collider has to touch the pods collider, just.  Also did you select the layer to be PartTriggers and selected the 'is trigger' box for the collider?

List of layers and tags here

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi,  the size of the IVA is pretty irrelevant , unless you're aligning inner and outer windows.  Regardless , the airlock collider has to touch the pods collider, just.  Also did you select the layer to be PartTriggers and selected the 'is trigger' box for the collider?

List of layers and tags here

Yep, that part I covered. It's just when getting the airlock closer to the other colliders I tend to get the issue

Wooooo Got it! 

I ended up setting the capsule off a bit because on load it would be pushed closer to the door collider

BsaMf5a.png
A bit of rotation and use of the Capsule offset to account for the size increase when loaded
mrZTeFS.png
The numbers are a bit off due to the size
sslPkNk.png
Edited by Jatwaa

I use a box on mine. Doesn't really matter that much as far as I know.

What I could best summarize is that Kerbals getting ejected means that your Airlock Collider is inside another Collider. So when a Kerbal spawns on the Airlock, it clips and launches. Speaking of Kerbal spawning on the Airlock, it needs to be big enough for a Kerbal to spawn in, that's when it's obstructed (If it's actually not obstructed that is). You can keep increasing the size until you can get the smallest size it can EVA (I can't pull up unity right now as I'm away).
Why would you want the smallest size possible? Because the whole Collider makes you see the EVA when you hover over it, as well as determines the area where a Kerbal can press B to board. The bigger the collider, the bigger the area you can hover on or board in.

Hi,. thats excellent, except,   i see you have the collider offset from it's origin, this has been known to cause issues with freaky unreliable  collisions. I've  never had a hatch collider move or change size in any way that mattered, or be noticeable, so that a new one on me, and as the above poster will tell you, that'd be a bad thing on an aircraft pod, you need things to stay put.   Yup I'll go with that too, make it as big as you want,  simply makes it easier to board , than struggling to find the exact spot .

Typical hatch collider on a very large thing (craft is  full size real, in case you wonder why hatch is big and collider is small)

cXuusOc.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Believe it or not, any closer than that and it tells me it is obstructed LOL. Not sure how much else to correct it, but since I upped the rescale factor in the config I wonder if that affected it...

11 hours ago, Jatwaa said:

Believe it or not, any closer than that and it tells me it is obstructed LOL. Not sure how much else to correct it, but since I upped the rescale factor in the config I wonder if that affected it...

I just noticed your Airlock on the inspector. Set it to 1, 1, 1 on its scale. What you need to change is the collider size, not the size of the GameObject it is in. You can specify the radius and the height in a capsule, and the length, width, and height in a box.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.