Would like to see a 2.5 m "science junior" equivalent

Is there any thought to creating a larger, 2.5 m equivalent, to the Science Junior? My Duna science lander uses the 2.5 m MK1-2 command pod so I have enough room for the 16 parachutes I will be using to get it landed. Unfortunately there is not a Science equivalent to the 1.25 "Science Junior"? The SC-9001 Science Jr. can collect a LOT of useful science points...but does not fit very well under a 2.5 m craft...and all the complications trying to make it work under there.

Just a thought.

Vic

You can use a service bay and put a bunch of science components in it. NASA probably wouldn't develop a whole new science kit for a bigger fuselage, probably they'd just put a bunch of their existing designs into a big cargo bay; SQUAD wouldn't be any different :P Although if you really want one there might be a mod out there with such a thing.

I might try loading the SC-9001 in a payload bay (never tried that)...will it still collect science in that situation? I am trying to reduce fuel usage, therefore the 16 parachutes. I generally do all science on celestial bodies with 2 launches from Kerbin...a science lander and an orbiting refueler. Once I've hit every biome I return the MK1-2, with all the science stored in it, to Kerbin. Get way more "science" (now 100% converted to "funds") doing it this way rather than transmitting data.

3 hours ago, Victor3 said:

I might try loading the SC-9001 in a payload bay (never tried that)...will it still collect science in that situation?

Sure will.  None Few of the science experiments care about how they're mounted or stashed.

Edited by Geonovast
I stand corrected.

The Science junior materials bay is already uselessly large. Especially in an early career with small landers. And you're asking for an even larger version???
Much better would be a smaller version similar in size to the goo container.

The goo sized container is already (almost) a thing...I have a beta part already built and it works great. I'm going to release it with 1.4 after I confirm nothing has changed 

Edited by Tyko

There is one aspect of the Science JR. question that would be solved by a 2.5m version. Where is the Science Sr.? I'm not entirely flippant (a little, but not entirely), there really should be something larger than the 1.25m Sci-Jr that does something similar, but is larger. Perhaps it just has Material Bay experiments, exactly like the Jr, but has multiple instances, so that covering a biome only takes one Sr. to get ALL the Material Bay science. Or it only gets one instance, locks just like the Jr, but still actually gets all the MatBay science. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, Tex_NL said:

The Science junior materials bay is already uselessly large. Especially in an early career with small landers. And you're asking for an even larger version???
Much better would be a smaller version similar in size to the goo container.

If it did all that the jr. does, then that would work, also.

Edited by strider3

On 9.2.2018 at 10:29 AM, b0ss said:

You can use a service bay and put a bunch of science components in it. NASA probably wouldn't develop a whole new science kit for a bigger fuselage, probably they'd just put a bunch of their existing designs into a big cargo bay; SQUAD wouldn't be any different :P Although if you really want one there might be a mod out there with such a thing.

Yes, I always put it in an bay with the other science instruments in front, then batteries, mechjeb, probe perhaps rtg or rcs tanks in back. Tend to get very cramped. 

57 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Yes, I always put it in an bay with the other science instruments in front, then batteries, mechjeb, probe perhaps rtg or rcs tanks in back. Tend to get very cramped. 

Spacecraft are meant to be cramped! Otherwise they'd be too expensive to launch :P

I do get what you're saying though. I just don't see the reason to make a whole new part. The stock Mk2 and Mk3 fuselage series is definitely lacking and the mods designed to remedy this aren't that good, but I feel like a re-shaped Science Jr. would be really, really low on the priority list of SQUAD, even when just looking at parts (where is my mk2 nosecone and mk3 inline cockpit!!!????).

5 hours ago, b0ss said:

Spacecraft are meant to be cramped! Otherwise they'd be too expensive to launch :P

I do get what you're saying though. I just don't see the reason to make a whole new part. The stock Mk2 and Mk3 fuselage series is definitely lacking and the mods designed to remedy this aren't that good, but I feel like a re-shaped Science Jr. would be really, really low on the priority list of SQUAD, even when just looking at parts (where is my mk2 nosecone and mk3 inline cockpit!!!????).

No see no need to change it for my part, if anything make an smaller radial version for an far higher cost. First version is kind of Gemini level stuff, not the thing you want to use for an Jool 5 mission. 

On 2/11/2018 at 9:57 PM, Onigato said:

There is one aspect of the Science JR. question that would be solved by a 2.5m version. Where is the Science Sr.? I'm not entirely flippant (a little, but not entirely), there really should be something larger than the 1.25m Sci-Jr that does something similar, but is larger. Perhaps it just has Material Bay experiments, exactly like the Jr, but has multiple instances, so that covering a biome only takes one Sr. to get ALL the Material Bay science. Or it only gets one instance, locks just like the Jr, but still actually gets all the MatBay science. 

Maybe they have been planning 1.85m parts so long it just hasn't turned up yet.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:01 AM, SnailsAttack said:

That's not true. The atmosphere-based ones won't work in a payload shell, and that's lost me quite a bit of science from my eve missions alone.

They work in bays if the doors are open. At least, mine seem to. Don't know about fairings, never carried one past LKO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.