Star Wars Episode VIII (8) the Last Jedi Discussion

Kerbal01

Standby.. Time for some cleaning...

...Cleaning Complete, thank you for using OppresorTech9000, service is mandatory!

I would like to say, that while there are aspects of the current films that I did not love. I respect that there are people that love every bit of it, and I also respect that there are people that hate every fiber of these movies, like Anakin hates the sand. But, we need to remember that these walls of texts with opinions that we do not agree with are written by people. Would you say the things you say to a person's face? I try to think of that before I write anything online (It's probably why I post so rarely haha). I would ask you all to keep things calm here. We do not need to go on political rants in this forum. There are so many other outlets for that. You're welcome to think whatever it is you like, but also remember that we have rules here. Please respect the rules.

*ahem*

/run OppressiveMod.exe
Please refrain from making political posts on this forum, failure to comply will result in warns. 

*unlocks thread*

*stands back cautiously*

Should we try again? Last shot, guys. Keep this on the line, or the thread stays closed.

I was severely underwhelmed at Phasma, again. They even give her a Disney Death (...oh, I get it now, it's Disney!) this time, for what? To show her having survived, then doing nothing, then dying again in episode 9?

(um, I've kinda lost count. This is 8, right?)

Edited by monstah

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

So, the "force" is just their interpretation of their spiritual/practical experience, not given to them as is.

Would it? Let's see.

Anakin. A country/suburban slaveboy. Not educated, not trained, having some experience in mechanics.
Luke. A farmers' family country boy. Not educated, not trained, having some experience in mechanics.
Rey. A scrap rat. Not educated, not trained, having some experience in mechanics. Experienced in junk sorting.

Yoda. We know nothing about his race and his origin, but unlikely he is a PhD.

So, we can see a :

• the less a candidate knows,
  • the less his/her mind is corrupted by education and knowledge,
  • the closer he/she is to nature

- the easier the force supports him/her.

While high-ranked and educated ones spend decades, training.

Reveal hidden contents

Btw, an ideal candidate. Knows nothing, can bash with sword
2865547-jon-snow-leadership.jpg

We never saw Anakin do a mind trick did we? Or engage in a lightsaber duel with Darth maul, or pilot a ship he had no experience with. Remember he was a pod racer so he could pilot the star fighter so he HAD experience. He was messing with the controls when he first took off remember?  He also had much. As much as people hate the whole pod racing thing myself included... Ish, It seems to be a pinewood derby idea except in a extremely dangerous track that is a circle and has ways for you to die at every corner. The fact Anakin Stayed alive is amazing. Part of it is the Will of the force but a lot is pure talent AND EXPERIANCE FROM BUILDING POD RACERS!!!!!!!!!! Anakin can't even Beat Count Dooku or atleast engage in a duel for a few seconds after being TRAINED FOR 5 YEARS AT THE JEDI TEMPLE! Rey beats a fully trained Dark Side user and slices and dices him with no training is lightsaber combat only staff combat which is entirely differant. It's a differant from is the differance from form 1 fighting and form 7 fighting. Nobody here Denys that Anakin was the most powerful Jedi at that time atleast in potential. He couldn't beat Dooku who was just Their for Darth Sidious' fill in position. After Five years and Now Rey who has none of the experience in the catagoies above comes along and beats Darth Ren. I mean Kylo Ren :). Come on she couldn't beat Kylo Ren after dives yesrs of training if everything we have known about the force is still true. 

Also Moderators please give a little bit of forgiveness to the rules on this thread. If people have taken things I've said as insults it wasn't meant to be. I just think people are sensitive about Star Wars more than they are about Physics, most of the time so if something comes off as rude it most likely wasn't meant that way. 

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

The bow caster is a charged weapon. Long it's charged the more powerful

He was also grazed

Darth Maul survived being CUT IN HALF but using the dark side come on.

The two stormtroopers in that were completely missed, yet still got blown several meters.

Also I’m fairly certain it’s only a charged weapon in the non-canon battlefront games, canon wookieepedia says its a projectile weapon that uses electromagnets to propel quarrels, so not sure how it could charge.

Just now, MiffedStarfish said:

The two stormtroopers in that were completely missed, yet still got blown several meters.

Also I’m fairly certain it’s only a charged weapon in the non-canon battlefront games, canon wookieepedia says its a projectile weapon that uses electromagnets to propel quarrels, so not sure how it could charge.

It's charged because the bridge doesn't blow up that's how I know and Kylo wasn't blown clear like the storm troopers even when SHOT CLOSER

Both times it’s fired, there is no charging. The trigger is pulled, and it fires, with no charging period. The bridge didn’t explode because it wasn’t a hit on the bridge, (which probably would have been more effective, thinking about it) it hit Kylo and was probably partially absorbed by his elite first order armour, which is shown to be excellent, deflecting blaster bolts and glancing lightsaber blows.

3 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Both times it’s fired, there is no charging. The trigger is pulled, and it fires, with no charging period. The bridge didn’t explode because it wasn’t a hit on the bridge, (which probably would have been more effective, thinking about it) it hit Kylo and was probably partially absorbed by his elite first order armour, which is shown to be excellent, deflecting blaster bolts and glancing lightsaber blows.

It is charged he holds his aim for about 2 seconds and then fires what is he waiting for

Re watch the clip and be open to it 

Also the whirl should indicated a charge Listen carefully analyze it

He has is mark at 6.5 seconds and the trigger is fired at 8.5 target is hit at 9 why wait that's a long time in war to hold a shot unless your sniping

Especially at that range 

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

It is charged he holds his aim for about 2 seconds and then fires what is he waiting for

Re watch the clip and be open to it 

I watched it several times. He aimed, he didn’t charge. The whine isn’t from the bowcaster, it’s the troop transport flying in.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

I watched it several times. He aimed, he didn’t charge. The whine isn’t from the bowcaster, it’s the troop transport flying in.

Why wait about 2.5 seconds to fire?

The bowcaster aim stoped moving and 2.5 second LATER it fires again in war that's a long time. A veteran grenadier could throw a grenade in that time. Or maby in 3 seconds 

The 2.5 seconds are from him aiming, he’s just bringing it up to fire, probably getting a feel for it as he’s only used it once before. Plus wookieepedia says it operates like a crossbow, load-fire. There’s nothing about it being charged.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster

Seriously it doesn't take 2.5 seconds to aim he has his target and THEN waits.

Also the whirl sound ends the SECOND HE FIRES 

In Battlefront or with real guns it doesn't take that long to aquire a target

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Plus if he had is "awesome first order armor" then he can fight Rey just fine

Watch it carefully I timed it

The sound end when he fires

Like I said earlier, it’s the troop transport repulsorlift, it’s just drowned out by the explosion when he fires. It’s loudest when the transport is closest to the ground. There is no sound at all in starkiller base, as well.

and Rey hit kylo in his unprotected face.

Like I said earlier, it’s the troop transport repulsorlift, it’s just drowned out by the explosion when he fires. It’s loudest when the transport is closest to the ground. There is no sound at all in starkiller base, as well.

and Rey hit kylo in his unprotected face.

I sent the clip he didn't charge because he was mad

Rey hit A storm trooper not Kylo

13 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

I don't know why people hate this movie, I think it's great! *Dodges bullets*

So did I. Quite entertaining.

(not afraid of bullets. Bring them on)

After having a week to reflect on this film, I have come to the conclusion that this would not have been a "good" film no matter what they did with it, *but* it could have been a much more enjoyable film with better editing. There were enough enjoyable scenes and sequences in there to make a fun movie out of, but they are disjointed by a hash of bad (and sometimes cringe- worthy) scenes that ruin the film as a whole.

While I stand by all my complaints about the script, acting, character development, micromanagement etc that kept this from being an objectively good movie, I'm willing to set that all aside and focus on the editing as the main problem.

AFA the whole "Rey being too good" flap, I want to reiterate my position.

This guy is basically the male equivalent of Rey. He's not a "hero" archetype, he's a cartoon character. He's funny because his awesomeness is so absurd.

The problem with Rey isn't whether or not her awesomeness is justified by canon or explainable by the mechanics of the story universe. The problem is that she is simply too awesome to be a hero character. Nobody sees her suffer, struggle, overcome fear and adversity. Nobody can imagine themselves *being* her, so they never develop a bond with her. She's just plain boring.

Best,
-Slashy

14 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

I don't know why people hate this movie, I think it's great! *Dodges bullets*

Just now, GDJ said:

So did I. Quite entertaining.

(not afraid of bullets. Bring them on)

I hate it because they destroy all of the canon lore. Most importantly Rey is untrained. Every other Jedi is Trained and can't do what she does. I don't want to write it up to "Raw Powaaa"! It's so classic Disney. Star Wars is a "For kids" but making it into a cartoon in nature except for the graphics is a Dishonest form of Star Wars. Ep 7 and Ep 8 is a cartoon except with a live action camera. Rey is a bad charachter, No Training, No Discipline, Just "RAW POWAAA!" They might as well add cartoon captions that bang, pow, boom etc. Rey is more powerful than Anakin and Yet he was the chosen one, Rey is a nobody. I just want a reason linage, a prophecy, training at the temple before Jakku, some reason. Instead Disney went with the Princess with a lightsaber. "I'm powerful just because and more wise and better than Obi Wan, Anakin, Luke, Mace, Yoda and so many more." Rey beats Kylo Ren with ease. Anakin got sliced and Diced after 5 years of training maby even more. By the weakling Count Dooku. Rey beats the well trained Kylo who has had training from the best of the Light and Dark. Again Rey does this with no training.

7 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

After having a week to reflect on this film, I have come to the conclusion that this would not have been a "good" film no matter what they did with it, *but* it could have been a much more enjoyable film with better editing. There were enough enjoyable scenes and sequences in there to make a fun movie out of, but they are disjointed by a hash of bad (and sometimes cringe- worthy) scenes that ruin the film as a whole.

While I stand by all my complaints about the script, acting, character development, micromanagement etc that kept this from being an objectively good movie, I'm willing to set that all aside and focus on the editing as the main problem.

AFA the whole "Rey being too good" flap, I want to reiterate my position.

This guy is basically the male equivalent of Rey. He's not a "hero" archetype, he's a cartoon character. He's funny because his awesomeness is so absurd.

The problem with Rey isn't whether or not her awesomeness is justified by canon or explainable by the mechanics of the story universe. The problem is that she is simply too awesome to be a hero character. Nobody sees her suffer, struggle, overcome fear and adversity. Nobody can imagine themselves *being* her, so they never develop a bond with her. She's just plain boring.

Best,
-Slashy

Exactly

What is the most used line by a master in Star Wars. "Complete your training" But not Rey She is lifting caves after figuring it out on her own.

41 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I hate it because ......

Okay, you hate it. That's fine. Not every movie is a winner in everybody's books.
I liked it.

Point 1 

Im not making a Politcal Statement in anyway.

Point 2

This sums up the arguement about Rey being overpowered very quickly and simply. I don't agree with everything but it makes some good points.

More toward the middle to end of the video 

Edited by Cheif Operations Director

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.