Star Wars Episode VIII (8) the Last Jedi Discussion

Kerbal01

Just now, DAL59 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it was better than ROTJ?  

Yes :)

ROTJ had charachter Development we learned many things... We learned effectivly nothing that was good in TLJ. We learned Reys Parents are nobodies.

ROTJ Is in my top 3

My order is

Top being favorite and bottom being Hated.

Ep IV

Ep III

Ep VI

V

I

VII

II

VIII

Difficult to rank all of them in order of preference but broadly I'm a mashup of @DAL59 and @GoSlash27. :)

Episodes IV and V are my favourites (although I accept that may well be just due to may age and a bit of rose-tinting) followed by VI and Rogue 1, although for different reasons. I liked the change in perspective of Rogue 1, the focus on a specific event, look at the early days of the Rebellion and the chance to finally see those "Rebel spacecraft striking from a secret base" that feature in the Episode IV crawl. Episode VI - I may as well say it now - I like the Ewoks and watching impractical battle walkers being laid low by logs and vines! I watched it again recently with my young godson and we concluded that there's probably no weapon system in the Star Wars universe that can't be made significantly more lethal by handing it over to the Ewoks. :) Then you also get the more serious stuff with Luke, the Emperor and Vader's redemption, some iconic Star Wars lines and that epic fleet battle!

Of the later films, it's really difficult to say.

I went into them all with that Star Wars anticipation - I still get a buzz from that opening "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away' line, followed by that Williams fanfare and the crawl. However, I don't think I came out of any of them completely sold. Generally I've enjoyed them a lot more the second time around when I'm not viewing them through a heightened anticipation and I'm just taking them as they are.

I was most impressed by Episodes III and VIII on first viewing although III didn't really hold up to a second viewing due mainly to some appallingly leaden dialogue. Watching VIII for the second time, the story held up well and I was much more willing to overlook the dumber-than-a-sack-of-hammers space battles. Episode VII was a breath of fresh air after the prequels in terms of pacing, characters, acting and dialogue although I was disappointed by the overall story (here's the Empire Mk2. Here's the Rebellion Mk2. Here's the death defying assault on yet another planet killing and planet sized superweapon. Ho hum.)

I actually liked Episode I the second time around,  although the 3D re-mastered version was awful. (Yes, I paid good money to see Episode 1 three times :) ). I don't really have any strong memories, good or bad, of Episode II at all.

If you had to push me to list them in order, I'd go for:  IV, V, (VI, R1), VIII, (VII, I), III, II. Or possibly IV, V, (VI, R1, VIII), VII, I, III, II. Gaaaahhhh - I don't know!

Edited by KSK

For me it’s:

V

IV

Rogue 1

VIII

VI

III

I

II

2nd, 3rd and 4th are very close though. 

Just realised a problem with force awakens that would make the whole film impossible. When Finn and Poe escape in the tie fighter, they take off their helmets. In a tie fighter, the cockpit is a vacuum, to save money. Considering Finn had a stormtrooper helmet and Poe had no helmet at all, they should have both died as soon as the left the hangar.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

11 hours ago, Snark said:

Sorry, we don't publicly discuss moderator action.  "Please stay away from discussing real-world politics" is enough.  :wink:

I'd love for that rule to be enforced on Hollywood. That would be a very amusing sight indeed...

2 hours ago, KSK said:

Difficult to rank all of them in order of preference but broadly I'm a mashup of @DAL59 and @GoSlash27. :)

Well, it's kinda easy.

There were only two and a half Star Wars films. And yes, those are Ewok pelts on my wall.

IV and V were a nice finished story with a happy end. They should be a single 3-hours movie (like Black Hole or Interstellar).
The Galactic Empire defeated the rebel rabble.
Two dubious opportunists were deported to Tatooine, the planet of dubious opportunists. Btw even neither executed, nor psychologically corrected, nor imprisoned into a silver mine.
Empire Grand Marshal's son (Luke) was allowed to escape, come to his sense and return to his father to serve the people of the Galaxy, rather than mingle with the criminals.

VI was another clone of IV with another Death Star (how unusual!) and another Force-cheating instead of pilot experience.
(And with gummy bears to make the horror complete).

Later there were Shaolin fanfics, currently up to 8th.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 hours ago, KSK said:

Episodes IV and V are my favourites (although I accept that may well be just due to may age and a bit of rose-tinting) followed by VI and Rogue 1, although for different reasons. I liked the change in perspective of Rogue 1, the focus on a specific event, look at the early days of the Rebellion and the chance to finally see those "Rebel spacecraft striking from a secret base" that feature in the Episode IV crawl. Episode VI - I may as well say it now - I like the Ewoks and watching impractical battle walkers being laid low by logs and vines! I watched it again recently with my young godson and we concluded that there's probably no weapon system in the Star Wars universe that can't be made significantly more lethal by handing it over to the Ewoks. :) Then you also get the more serious stuff with Luke, the Emperor and Vader's redemption, some iconic Star Wars lines and that epic fleet battle!

Of the later films, it's really difficult to say.

I went into them all with that Star Wars anticipation - I still get a buzz from that opening "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away' line, followed by that Williams fanfare and the crawl. However, I don't think I came out of any of them completely sold. Generally I've enjoyed them a lot more the second time around when I'm not viewing them through a heightened anticipation and I'm just taking them as they are.

What he said... I grew up with the original trilogy, cringed my way through the prequel trilogy, and have reached a degree of resigned acceptance of these latest films.

7 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Just realised a problem with force awakens that would make the whole film impossible. When Finn and Poe escape in the tie fighter, they take off their helmets. In a tie fighter, the cockpit is a vacuum, to save money. Considering Finn had a stormtrooper helmet and Poe had no helmet at all, they should have both died as soon as the left the hangar.

My problem is that they got shot and the TIE Fighter didn't immediately explode, like every other one ever.

Though you could say maybe the First Order cared more about their pilots than the Empire, and gave them the luxury of a pressurized cabin. And enough armor to not immediately explode when shot at :)

Still can't include VIII... 

IV, Rogue One, VII, V, VI / III (tie), I, II

I seriously recall nothing worthwhile about II.

III has my favorite quote, "So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause." 

No matter how bad (or good) VIII turns out to be, it has to be miles above nearly all the Star Trek movies. 

My list (please don’t kill me):

R1

TLJ

V

VI

IV

TFA

III

I/II

Personally, I really like every film above last place, although Episode III could definitely have improved on a few things. Episodes I and II...well, I haven’t watched them in a while, and I probably won’t be watching them anytime soon. 

And yes, TLJ is one of my favorite Star Wars films. Please just let me live. 

Edited by ProtoJeb21

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I actually haven’t even watched the Holiday Special...so it would automatically go in last place. 

Had you watched it... It's still be in last place.

I made it about half way. There are movies so bad they're good, and there are movies that are so bad they pass that and go back to being bad.

Btw, I've seen at least two more SW movies in early 1990s.
The first of them was about a boy and girl on the planet of ewoks, and (if I'm not mistaken) something like a black queen, unicorn or so,
Another one I've completely forgotten, just know that it was, too.

Not sure they were Lucas' (as if Disney's are, lol), but all stuff looked authentic.

So, VIII is probably XI (8 + HS + 2 unknown).

Edited by kerbiloid

Very interesting rankings. Here are mine, best to worst:

(And, yes, my rankings don't just include an objective analysis of the film itself. They include the history, the waits in line to see it again outside the theater, the years of speculation and anticipation between the movies, the joy on my kids faces the first time they saw it. There's no way they couldn't. So, sue me. :wink:

V (You can argue, and haggle, and Monday Morning Quarterback all you want. You will never unseat this one for me. Star Wars whetted my 9-year-old appetite for more, and three years later Empire gave it to me.)

IV (It's in a league of its own. You will never see another phenomenon like Star Wars again.)

VI (I loved most of Return. The scenes and dialog between the Emperor, Luke, and Vader are iconic. The Ewoks I could do without.)

R1 (Classic Star Wars. I wish Disney would make more movies like this one, not just in the Star Wars universe.)

VII (Excellent production values and good performances spackle over a remake of IV.)

III (The best of the prequels, but weighed down by plot inconsistencies and Hayden Christensen's miserable performance.) 

II (Mostly the same problems as III. But this time they didn't just weigh it down, they sank it.)

VIII (I'm open to the idea that my opinion will change on further viewings, but right now it stands at: Awful. The more I think about it, the less sense this movie makes in the overall Star Wars theme and tone. I don't think it's a coincidence that Rian Johnson is moving on to other projects. I think this film is destined to be the Star Trek V: The Final Frontier of the Star Wars franchise. The one in the middle that everyone just pretends didn't happen.)

I (No, sorry, I just can't. I wasn't a kid when this came out, I can't pretend it was a good movie. Even my kids are outgrowing it now. It's just bad. When I went to see it with my friends in South Africa I apologized to everyone on the spot when it was finished.)

3 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I actually haven’t even watched the Holiday Special...so it would automatically go in last place. 

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Never heard of this one... and somehow I don't feel cheated.

The holiday special is a holiday themed movie about a wookie holiday, that features long sections of wookies talking to each other without subtitles.  You can't even buy it, as Lucas has said he wants all copies to be destroyed its so bad.  You can watch it on youtube though.  There's also these two...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.