Heavy Hauler Challenge

(Formerly the Largest Cargo Plane Challenge)

f3rf3d.jpg

(Art by cratercracker, great job!)

Rules:

Must be able to carry at least one Jumbo tank trailer, supply trailer, ore trailer, battery trailer, and/or monopropellant trailer. And the trailer tug, as the trailers themselves aren't powered.

Use KAS plugs to attach them to the cargo bay so they don't shriek with anger and decide to destroy the plane.

Must be in 1.2.2 If you wish you may build your own trailers and tugs. This rule was only because I wanted craft files of the submitted craft. Videos are better, though,  because you have no restrictions. Other than the other rules.

Must be under 400 parts (seriously, who's going to use 400 parts?)

No expansion pack. I can't use it.

Vehicles allowed:

Aircraft (planes, helicopters, VTOLs)

Boats

Land Vehicles (Cannot get to island, will probably have to use a boat to get it there. Or aircraft.)

Submarines (If you can manage it...)

The goal is to transport the trailers from the KSC to the island, where there is supposed to be another trailer, which you are to pick up, which will be taken to the South Pole. Mid-air refueling is allowed, just try to keep it at a minimum. Mk3 cargo bays may not be large enough, so the Mk4 system or OPT might come in handy. Some variables are changed or added depending on difficulty selected.

NOTE: Large, multi-cargo bay fuselages may be required. Probably should use the recommended mods above, though, as they are the best at carrying the trailers. They fit beautifully. Personally, I prefer the Mk4 system. Seaplanes are also allowed, but are probably not your best bet, as the South pole is indestructible frozen water.

Difficulty Options:

- Easy mode: Start with one trailer and one tug, get to the island, and deliver the payload, and carry the other trailer to the South pole.

- Hard mode: Start with two trailers and one tug, get to the island, and carry all trailers to the South pole.

- Extreme mode: Start with four trailers and two tugs, load two more trailers at the island, and carry everything to the South Pole.

- Super mode: Start with eight trailers, two tugs, load four more trailers at the KSC island, load two more at the North pole, and fly all trailers to the South pole.

- Near-Impossible mode: Impress me. Start with at least 12 trailers. Load 6 trailers from the island. Load at least 3 trailers from the temple and 4 from the North pole. No unloading, full ore trailers only. Also, no refueling.

I wonder who will be brave crazy MAD enough to try that last one...

Largest craft so far: Pallas cargo seaplane by Azimech

Spoiler

Stats:

LxWxH: 75m*61m*25m

Mass with tanks full: 291t.

Max loaded take-off mass from water: 404t.

Max loaded take-off mass from land: 591t.

Craft stat template:

LxWxH:

Mass (Wet):

Mass (Dry):

Max Load (Land) (t):

Max Load (Water) (t):

Max Speed:

Range:

Edited by Kebab Kerman

This might be big enough.  This picture is after I landed it(!), it's sluggish and unsure about what way it wants to go when given control inputs, and in general I would not suggest flying it under any circumstances, which is what makes it so damn perfect.

3MUQpNI.png

Oh yeah, it also doesn't like doing Immelmans.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Well then.

I'm not sure if I should try my own challenge, but might as well right? I'm loading up KSP now, will start work when it loads. What are the dimensions of this?

Here are some stats.

LxWxH: 75x61x25

Edited by Azimech

On 2/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, Azimech said:

Here are some stats.

LxWxH: 75x61x25

Thanks! Also, so far, yours seems to have the most space for anything. I might upload a plane fuselage to take. Try adding a cargo door if possible, we don't need kerbals getting sucked out now, do we? I've had that happen way too many times, exept that was due to sudden ruptures in the fuselage.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Thanks! Also, so far, yours seems to have the most space for anything. I might upload a plane fuselage to take. Try adding a cargo door if possible, we don't need kerbals getting sucked out now, do we? I've had that happen way too many times, exept that was due to sudden ruptures in the fuselage.

I've found that a cargo door means a lot of parts and an incredible amount of drag, I'm not really interested.

A plane fuselage to take? At one point I was in trolling mode. See what I did to someone's creation.
https://imgur.com/a/DGEnN

Also, you might like this: https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi24-Cronus

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

I've found that a cargo door means a lot of parts and an incredible amount of drag, I'm not really interested.

A plane fuselage to take? At one point I was in trolling mode. See what I did to someone's creation.
https://imgur.com/a/DGEnN

Also, you might like this: https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-Azi24-Cronus

I've just had an idea. Make a plane using WW2 warships parts for a fuselage!

EDIT: Seaplane. Has to be a seaplane.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

@Azimech, @foamyesque, @Thor Wotansen Here is a patch you can add to your signature.

@Kebab Kerman I made a patch for your challenge.

--------------------------

''Walk your way, Stalker...''

---------------------------

f3rf3d.jpg

f3rf3d.jpg

100-150-200

-----------------------------

Your Welcome.

Edited by cratercracker

2 hours ago, cratercracker said:

@Azimech, @foamyesque, @Thor Wotansen Here is a patch you can add to your signature.

@Kebab Kerman I made a patch for your challenge.

--------------------------

''Walk your way, Stalker...''

---------------------------

f3rf3d.jpg

f3rf3d.jpg

100-150-200

-----------------------------

Your Welcome.

That'll do! Thanks! Now I just need to get an "edit signature" button...

Edited by Kebab Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably have to use some very hacky way of making a cargo bay. I.E. stock hinges and docking ports for the door/ramp, and big control surfaces for lifting it up and down like how ornithopter wing "muscles" work. Unless I'm using tweakscale anyway.

Edited by Pds314

On 2/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, Pds314 said:

I may design an electric prop plane for this. I'd use a variant of the plane in my PFP but it's kinda obsolete as a result of changes to the physics engine, and plus, who doesn't like unlimited range?

Unlimited range is not something that really works with this challenge. At least make sure the RTGs are off!

On 2/27/2018 at 5:29 AM, Pds314 said:

I'll probably have to use some very hacky way of making a cargo bay. I.E. stock hinges and docking ports for the door/ramp, and big control surfaces for lifting it up and down like how ornithopter wing "muscles" work. Unless I'm using tweakscale anyway.

Good idea!

Edited by Kebab Kerman

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.